• Happy Earth Week! TBT is hosting a series of nature-based mini-events through April 28th. Breed flower hybrids by organizing your collectible lineup, enter our nature photography contest, purchase historically dated scenery collectibles, and earn bells around the site! Read more in the Earth Week and photography contest threads.

New town priorities?

Witchwyn

Bells
Peach (Fruit)
Apple (Fruit)
I want to reset at some point but I know unless I do it ?right? I?ll keep resetting. I was wondering what everyone?s priorities are when it comes to their town!
Mine is planning out where I want everything to go before random move ins take good spots and I end up placing un-removable pwps in horrendous places (my second town is 100% an improvement!!)

When I reset I look for
- River shape
- Re-tail, town hall, plaza location
- Number of ponds (I rarely accept more than one)
- Where I might want to put villagers

Then when I finally get a map, I consider rock placement as well.

I don't care about grass shape or the native fruit too much.

my priority when resetting was getting a map that didn't have too many ponds (i settled for two because i got really fed up;; ), having the plaza in a somewhat central spot and having one beach with two entrances instead of two beaches ^^ i wanted to get a nice peninsula-like spot for my house but i had no luck with that, but if i were to reset again that would be one of my priorities as i like having my house away from others, and now im neighbours with leyman :/ i like to have all villagers in one place which also didnt happen unfortunately. and, the fruit i really wanted were apples and i was lucky to get that - i had to reset so many times because i got peaches or pears
i dont care about the river shape too much as long as it still gives me a lot of open space.

Last edited:
I settled on my current town's map based on the location of the town tree - right in the centre, surrounded by the river. I basically chose it based on that. I don't care so much about Re-Tail or Town Hall locations. But, if you're planning on doing a lot of fishing/bug catching on the island, it might be best to have your Re-Tail near the dock. Or if you'll invite other players over often to sell items, consider placing it by your Train Station.

I personally like only 1 pond, which I got, as it leaves more room for PWPs. Fruit was secondary for me, but I was happy with my cherries. Check out how many rocks you have and their placements as well as those can impede plans you have for development.

Maybe save building permanent PWPs for last after you've landscaped a bit and gotten a better idea of the direction you want your town to go in.
Take some time to plan and it should help you feel more confident and happy with your decisions. :)

could i just ask out of curiosity, why do so many people not seem to want many ponds? is it just because they take up space for pwps?
i love ponds c;

I personally love ponds too! The more the better imo
I have very few criteria when it comes to new towns:
-Not apples as the starter fruit
-No villagers I hate
That's literally it :p

i love my town how it is. the only thing i'd change about my map is that i'd want the campground right next to the town square, but since my town square is closer to my beach it wouldn't work without changing everything. i also would want to move my campsite pwp since it's just below the midway line (so i cant put cedars by it :c) and put it somewhere in the north of town. probably where one of my character's house is, but i love the placement of his house so i couldn't change it. overall i love my town how it is. i only have 1 pond as well.

when i make a new town (whether i reset or when there's a new game in 1,00,000 years) i'd want most things to be the same, but maybe plan it out more. i went into my current town with hardly any planning since it was my first time ever playing ac. but i'd want similar things, like the beach on the east and a river going down vertically rather than horizontally. i like maps just where things are placed well!

could i just ask out of curiosity, why do so many people not seem to want many ponds? is it just because they take up space for pwps?
i love ponds c;

I think that's the general reason :) They may see it as an obstruction as they landscape their town. I don't have too much of a problem with ponds, I think they are very pretty. I'm just happy with the one I have because it gave me more freedom in terms of PWPs, greenery, and paths and I didn't have to work around any others ^^

i love ponds c;

I think the ponds are so cute, but I ran out of room in my first town so for my second I picked a map with only two, issue is I didn't think about the placement because the larger pond is right between my house and re-tail:( I'm probably going to go for a natural town and embrace the ponds next time though:)

when i made my second town i was looking for:

-ocean on the right
-nothing right in-front of the campground ramp
-retail on the northern section
-2 ponds, 3 if i really liked the map
-a peninsula that points up. i like putting my mayors house on peninsulas and ironically i did not even do that.
-i guess i was kind of looking at river shape but not so much

The most important thing for me is river shape. I don't want a river that takes away from land space (so basically any river that has too many turns). I prefer Re-tail and town hall to be near the train station and close to each other. It's just neater for me that way. I would like plaza near them as well but that's super optional. Ponds aren't a big deal but not too many ponds as again, that's less land space + sometimes ponds are disruptive for designs. That's about it ^ ^

I've only made one town so far, but I picked my map based on the fact that retail, the town hall, and the town square were all kind of lined up at the top of the map near the railroad, which left a lot of the map completely open for everything else. (My coffee shop and police station are up there now, too.) And, just as important, there was a little spot of land carved out by the river where I could put my house and have it kind of isolated. Overall, I'm really happy with it, although I didn't realize at the time that it would be annoying for retail to be on the complete opposite corner of the map from the dock. Oh well!

Back