Does Listening to Music Distract You From Doing Schoolwork?

Does Listening to Music Distract You From Doing Your Schoolwork?

• Yes. Any kind of music distracts me.

Votes: 15 22.4%
  • Depends on the type of music.

Votes: 34 50.7%
  • Nope!

Votes: 14 20.9%
  • Other

Votes: 4 6.0%

• Total voters
Yes for me. Doesn't depend on the music I hear. I'll get distracted for any type.

Ok, this is going to sound really word, but for me, it depends on what subject material it is. If it's math or science, no. If it's English or history, yes.
I know it should seem based on music genre, not what subject of schoolwork I'm working on, but that's the way it's been for me for a while now.

If I am trying to write a paper or something else I really need to think about, I need it to be quiet when I work. However, If I am working on an art project I find it helpful to listen to music and it seems to help me focus. It is strange.

It depends on the music for me. I like to have some background noise while I work, so I am always playing something.

It depends. Usually just the lyrics distract me but if I really like the song, any type of music can.
I always have to listen to music though otherwise I get too bored.

I often use music to get me into the right mood to focus, and then once I'm really into what I'm doing the music starts to feel like a distraction so I turn it off.

to be honest nowadays i get distracted by everything but generally i NEED some sort of music in order to work efficiently. but here's where it gets tricky. it has to be mellow, preferably acoustic or indie, or maybe nice instrumental, and the music itself often isnt enough. that's why when i really need to cram in or have deadlines catching up to me i can't work anywhere but starbucks/other coffee shops. i need the background noise, i need it to be quite loud but not too loud, i need a sort of... overstimulation? for some weird reason that's the best environment for me to work in, i focus way better when there are people talking, music playing and things clattering all around me. it sort of forces me to compltely tune everything out, which is extremely hard when it's just me, a quiet room and some music.

yes and no

i have sensory problems so music can either help block out outside noises or be distracting. it depends on the subject most of the time.
if it's math or something that doesn't require like, lots of reading/thinking/words, i usually have music playing. if it's history, english, or anything else that requires me to be actively reading and writing something, i usually don't listen to music. sometimes i do, though, like today. i listened to music while doing history and science work and i managed to do my work without my focus diverting to the music too much. this usually works best with songs i've heard before (so i'm not trying to pay attention to the lyrics). i'll also put on music when doing this work when my surroundings are too noisy or distracting. but sometimes if it's too loud the music just makes it worse and i just can't work at all.
other times i might go to mynoise.net and find something to listen to. it's really helpful. or just put on a playlist of instrumental tracks.
but if the room is completely silent i can do my work. but still, if it's math i like to have music playing.

my history teacher puts on classical, relaxing music on when we work. and it truly distracts me so much, we had a test recently and she put it on and i raged

No not really. I might get annoyed if it was someone else's music and I can hear it but I'm fine with music playing in general. If I listened to music in class I always had my headphones in so I wouldn't be bothering anyone else.

not really! when I'm writing I'll usually stick with stuff without lyrics, but with any other kind of work pretty much anything will help me concentrate better.

People think that it does but, really, it doesn't. If the music is upbeat and makes me want to dance, then yes, it does distract me.

I listen to classical music very quietly while doing reading assignments or writing essays, anything with lyrics while doing math homework.

Of course not. It keeps me energized on focusing as I'll have something to do while I do schoolwork.

If I decide to listen to classical music or any instrumental music I'm fine, but when Blood, Sweat, & Tears come on while I'm listening to music & doing homework, I can't help but sing & get distracted.

I like to listen to classical music or music in a foreign language when I study, usually I stick with Chopin or stuff by Gackt or Nancy Ajram.

Songs with words distract me, but my mind wanders if I don't have some level of stimuli to keep me grounded, so often, video game music or other forms of instrumental music help me out.

Back