• The closing ceremony for TBT's Farewell to New Leaf event has been posted! View the winning entries and other closing announcements here. Thanks for joining in on the fun and nostalgia. We'll see you this Friday night for the start of our annual Easter Egg Hunt!

Does Listening to Music Distract You From Doing Schoolwork?

Does Listening to Music Distract You From Doing Your Schoolwork?

• Yes. Any kind of music distracts me.

Votes: 15 22.4%
  • Depends on the type of music.

Votes: 34 50.7%
  • Nope!

Votes: 14 20.9%
  • Other

Votes: 4 6.0%

• Total voters

Dawnpiplup

Kick ass.
Bells
MEOW Coupons
StreetPass Silver
Green Christmas Stocking
Matryoshka Doll
Tin Robot
Festive Bell
Tin Robot
Red Balloon
Father's Day Carnation
Chocolate Cake
For me, I find that listening to music is quite distracting whenever I'm doing my schoolwork. Any kind of music distracts me, even when it's those classical songs by Beethoven and such. I just can't concentrate that well enough, yet sometimes I listen to music while doing my assignments anyway. How about you all?

I can't focus on like anything unless I have background noise so nope.

I think listening to music w lyrics distracts me the most. Like I would end up trying to sing along and get really hyped LOL... And then I wouldn't know what the heck I was studying. I tend to be put on instrumentals but at a low volume when I'm starting to get really bored. But usually I prefer no music as well so I can concentrate 100%. I think that people aren't really good at multi-tasking even if we like to think that we are unfortunately.

the only kind of music that doesn't distract me from work is soft jazz for some reason? everything else no-go for me.

If it has words in it, yes. If not, it'll help you concentrate.

i’m no longer in school, but i always found certain music lowers my anxiety level and helps with focus :)

Anything without lyrics and I'm fine personally

no it helps me focus because it cancels out other noises (like writing, talking, breathing, sniffling, walking....) that make me unable to concentrate. i usually listen to music i already know, new music is often more distracting.

music with lyrics distracts me so much i can only listen to piano music when doing homework

Depends on the music, really. If anything bad music distracts me like if someone puts on the radio randomly with **** music.

I need to actively listen to music to enjoy it, and I find it pointless to just have it on in the background without concentrating on it... it's fine for artwork, but other school work is a nope

Yes, so much! I can't even browse the internet with music on because of how much it distracts me.

I can't concentrate on anything with music or noise. I just want silence, though that's hard in my big loud family and my loud classroom :(

Anything without lyrics and I'm fine personally

Same. If I'm listening to a song I like with lyrics I end up singing along and distracting myself. I know a lot of friends who work while watching TV shows ... I just can't. I'll end up stopping what I'm doing and watching the show instead. If I'm typing up something I absolutely cannot have music playing.

Not really it depends if it's just music with audio or music with a music video. When i'm listening to music that has a music video, it can be pretty distracting so I usually drag it into another tab. But usually I can work with music playing, it helps me work a lot more actually. When I was doing my artwork, I found that melodrama (the album by lorde) really helped me to mellow out while I was doing my shading and stuff.

Last edited:
Back