Does anybody else like Harvest moon, or Similar games?

I never really liked Harvest Moon, because it always felt too monotone to me - BUT I do like Rune Factory ("A Fantasy Harvest Moon") a lot! Adding dungeons and dragons to the core gameplay was a pretty smart idea, imo, as it removes all the problems I had with the original Harvest Moon series. Crawling through dungeons and forging weapons spices the gameplay up quite a bit, but the best part is offloading repetitive tasks like watering and weeding on your tamed monsters. Plus, in Rune Factory 3 you can turn into a sheep, which yields hilarious reactions from the villagers^^ Baaa~

Last edited:
I love these types of games. My first one was the first Harvest Moon on gameboy (the old black-and-greenish brick of a gameboy). I didn't really know what I was doing, so I didn't do well, but I had fun. More recently, I've been adoring Stardew Valley. I actually have more hours in that than in Animal Crossing at the moment (although I think AC will catch up pretty soon). I've missed out on most of the actual Harvest Moon games, but I've also been enjoying Story of Seasons on the 3ds.

I mostly play on the PC, so I was excited to hear that a Harvest Moon was coming out on Steam in just a few days, but it doesn't look very good... That's ok though, since I still have some Story of Seasons games to play, as well as Rune Factory 4. I've heard a lot of great things about Rune Factory, but I haven't actually played one yet. I try not to be in the middle of too many similar types of games at once, so I want to "finish" the first Story of Seasons before I start another similar game.

I tried one of them, but I was always confused about what your character was supposed to eat before any of your plants actually grew. My poor guy was always starving and dizzy since I couldn't find anything besides random plants and milk to feed him. It made me lose interest in the game.

Ah that's super weird. The other day I found rune factory on DS, while I was doing work at a charity. I was going to pick it up for like ?2. But there was no cartridge inside :(

Would you say this one is good, Or should I pick up a later installment of rune factory?

Rune_Factory_US_box_art.jpg

Last edited:
[...] Would you say this one is good, Or should I pick up a later installment of rune factory?

View attachment 211052

I‘d definitely recommend Rune Factory 3 (which has the best gameplay mechanics in the series) or 4 (which has some really interesting characters), although there‘s nothing inherently wrong with the first one^^ Just steer clear of the second one, it is kinda “meh“.

Last edited:
I love Harvest Moon, Fantasy Life, Rune Factory, Stardew Valley etc. I played the one on the DS called Harvest Moon DS Cute the most. It was pretty simple and monotonous even for a HM game, but I loved it. :D My favorite part was always the cooking.

Thanks, I'll have to look into them. Apparently there's a rune factory on PS3 called Rune factory: Oceans. But there seems to be conflicting opinions about that one :S

As much as I like harvest moon on game-boy, the later installments look terrible (Like how you can obtain zoo animals on a farm :S) . So that's why rune factory looks interesting. Is the combat any good in it?

- - - Post Merge - - -

I heard that Stardew Vally is really good. Would you recommend it. Or should I wait till the price drops on it?

Last edited:
I'd recommend getting it! It's very similar to the old school HM games without being too primitive. They have a lot of nice features like customizing your farmland and paths and decorations, etc. I love the dialogue in Stardew Valley as well. It's compelling and surprisingly realistic. Nice bachelors/bachelorettes. It's one of those games that really immerses you. Man, now I want to play it again!

My first game was Harvest Moon 64 and while I had no clue what I was doing at the time, I enjoyed it. The game I got most into though was Harvest Moon:A Wonderful Life. Granted, now that I've played other HM games, Story of Seasons, and Stardew Valley, I've realized A Wonderful Life wasn't that great of a game LOL.

But since then, I've gotten very much into these types of simulation games. I find it sort of peaceful, since I can't really stand being outside much and the fact that it's different than the usual RPGs/Hack-n-Slash games/Pokemon or Pokemon-esque games I normally play.

I'd probably pick up stardew vally on PS4. Apparently it's receiving updates still and there's rumors of it adding in multiplayer (Sounds awesome) :)

Q: Does anybody else like Harvest moon, or Similar games?

A: Yes. I do like Harvest Moon that I have a few games of them. Similar games to it would have to depend on certain things that I am looking for.

The first Harvest Moon game that I played was called Harvest Moon: Back to Nature for the PlayStation One. It would be nice to play that game again. But... I don't think I could at this current point for the time being. I really did liked some of the festivals that they had on there. It was quite fun and interesting. Though... I guess still having Harvest Moon: Friends of Mineral Town should suffice as a decent replacement for it.

Many other Harvest Moon games that I have are: Harvest Moon: A Wonderful Life (GameCube), Harvest Moon: Another Wonderful Life (GameCube), Harvest Moon: Save the Homeland (PS2), Harvest Moon: Animal Parade (Wii), and of course the Harvest Moon: Friends of Mineral Town (GBA). The Harvest Moon games that currently don't work for me are Harvest Moon: Back to Nature and Harvest Moon: Save the Homeland. It is quite unfortunate that they don't work anymore, but I still have the other games that still work that I can still currently play if I choose to do so.

The only game that is similar that I have to Harvest Moon would be Rune Factory: Frontier. It had the farming and mating aspects kind of like Harvest Moon. But... The game also added combat into the mix, which I found it strange at first then later adapted as the game went on and ended up liking it a lot. The one thing I didn't like about the game was the runey system. Ugh... It was a nightmare for me.

Last edited:
Sounds like your a harvest moon veteran :)

Did you know that there's a female edition for friends on mineral town? It's stupidly rare though..

Yeah I looked into rune factory and the combat looks odd. So what does the runey system do? Surely it's not that bad, right? :S

Sounds like your a harvest moon veteran :)

Did you know that there's a female edition for friends on mineral town? It's stupidly rare though..

Yeah I looked into rune factory and the combat looks odd. So what does the runey system do? Surely it's not that bad, right? :S

Mhm... A Harvest Moon Veteran? Huh? I guess one could say that I suppose.

Yes. I am well aware that there was a female edition called Harvest Moon: More Friends of Mineral Town. It's not a game that I would want since there are only three bachelors in that game that I would pursue. But... I would play it regardless of only being three bachelors in that game that I like. Sticking with Harvest Moon: Friends of Mineral Town is more beneficial for me since I do actually like the bachelorettes more than the bachelors.

I don't really remember much about the runey system of Rune Factory Frontier. Haven't played that game in quite a long while. From what I remember... I think the runey system had something to do with your farming land. Not quite sure. I have provided a link that might help you understand the runey system.

If you'd like to continue this discussion with me then you can PM or VM me about it. Don't want to clog up the thread.

Last edited:
One of the Harvest Moon games I played a lot was Harvest Moon: A Wonderful Life for the GameCube.
It was the first HM game I ever played back then and I remember how I had some troubles to get in it,
as I didn't know what to do. But after a while after I understood everything, I had lots of fun with it. I
spent many hours with it and also completed once the story (to be honest, since I didn't know how it
ends, I was really sad afterwards as I didn't expected such a ending). It's really a beautiful game and
I happy that I played it.

I also played the first Harvest Moon game for the DS. I played it for a while, however, unlike A Wonderful
Life, I stopped playing it after I kinda lost interest in it. Since then, I didn't played any other Harvest Moon
game and also never played similar games.

Yea I got
3ds(xl)
RF4, Fantasy Life, tomodachi Life (my fist 2 3dsxl games) SoSToT,
HMSV people seriously trash this game , because of forging & gifts, but I was super happy, plus it has DLC *cool*
I mean if you want to forge, give gifts, and buy materials :-/ then don't get this game (get that other one b4 it they look just alike)
But if you just want to use money get this one
:-D
Even though these dont count S(tyle) S(avvy)
F(ashion) F(orward), Miiopia, Nintendogs
Lego Friends is pretty cool
SSFF looks geared more towards Females IMHO
:-[ butttttt hey
Lego Friends too but :-/

I love Harvest Moon, RF4, RF3, and Stardew Valley! I played the first RF after the 3rd and 4th, but I couldn't get into it. I've only played SoS, TOT, ANB, and The Lost Valley *shudder*

Of course! <3

I played lots of HM; back to nature, save the homeland, friends of mineral town, a wonderful life, DS cute, Rune Factory 2, Story of Seasons, and now Trio of Towns.

My favorite is friends of mineral town. Ann is still my bae up until today :D

i played a harvest moon game for the wii for a while in like uhhhh 2011 or something but i never got very far ): i was really confused about the controls

Back