• The closing ceremony for TBT's Farewell to New Leaf event has been posted! View the winning entries and other closing announcements here. Thanks for joining in on the fun and nostalgia. We'll see you this Friday night for the start of our annual Easter Egg Hunt!

I'm thinking of resetting but..

squidpops

🌈🌴🍯
Bells
MEOW Coupons
StreetPass Silver
Switch
4283-9990-2999
Fair warning, this post is kind of long. My apologies, I tried to keep it as short as I could.
TLDR: I don't really like my town anymore, should I reset?

I'm not very fond of my town. I've worked hard on it yes and I'm proud of it but..I don't like it as much anymore. It's an ugly, disorganized mess and I just don't like alot of things about it so I'm thinking of resetting but I'm just not sure.

Things I don't like about it that I can't change:
  • My mayor. I named him after myself but I don't really want his name to be mine anymore, idk it's weird. I also kind of regret fully expanding his house, I wish I had less rooms and smaller rooms too. House location as well, it's too close to the river and not close enough to retail for my liking.
  • The campsite. I don't want it in my town. I never use it anymore and wish it wasn't permanent plus it's in a bad location, in the south, where I can't even put cedar trees around it (I didn't know of that limitation when I started the game).
  • Police station. I've changed my town to modern themed but my police station is the more zen looking one which doesn't match, and I don't really want it anymore either.
  • Cafe location. I put it right behind my house because I'm a dunce and you can't see it now unless you go behind the house.
  • Just my town layout in general, I didn't know you could reset the maps when I started the game so I just chose one of the first four. It's OK but if I had known of the map resetting I would have done that, town hall is too close to the river and campgrounds, it's a vertical layout and I like horizontal better, also too many dang ponds lol
  • My villagers. Most of them are amiibo card move ins and now I don't really want most of them but they won't move out on their own naturally (I've read it can take a long time for them to ping to move, even a year or so ugh). I know I can get my dreamies back easily enough so I'm not too worried about that.

Things that keep me from resetting:
  • My museum. I've worked SO hard to complete the museum and I'd hate to have to start all over (tbh I don't even think I would try to fill it again, it's just so much work).
  • The train station and town hall remodel. That..takes forever omg. 100 visitors to get the remodel?? Insanity. I know I can do it eventually but just ugh lol
  • Just..the amount of work in general. This is the longest I've ever stuck with anything. I usually get bored of things and quit them. I've had my town since December 23, 2016 and I've played everyday since then and worked on it everyday. I guess it's just the feeling of pride that keeps me from giving it up.

I can't afford a new game (I know it's relatively cheap but I'm a broke boi) and I can't hack. So those aren't options.

So that cons outweigh the pros I know, but I can't decide.
Should I reset? Do you think it will be worth it? I don't want to regret deleting my town but I'm just tired of it.

Last edited:
I reset a town once and I didn't regret it at all. There were so many things I was unhappy about to the point where I didn't even want to play it anymore. If you feel like the cons will make it so that you no longer want to play, resetting is totally worth it.
As for the museum, you can buy fossils and art from the re-tail forum. All you'd have to do is the bugs and fish if you wanted to.
There are people who are willing to help get the 100 visitors, so it's doable.

Everything you just wrote was me about a month ago. I ultimately sold my town to Nook. I mostly don't regret it at all. I was missing my old town today going through that 5 Year Anniversary thread. But I mostly don't regret it.

For you, if having to lose all the Museum, renovations, etc. and start them all over would make you want to quit altogether is another factor. I happen to like doing that stuff. It's what keeps me playing - knowing I've got goals that still need to be met. I realize now that I could have still worked with my town even though I had many of the same issues you have, but I would have been frustrated from the flow of the town and from the fact that I didn't have a whole lot of goals to work toward anymore.

I reset a town once and I didn't regret it at all. There were so many things I was unhappy about to the point where I didn't even want to play it anymore. If you feel like the cons will make it so that you no longer want to play, resetting is totally worth it.
As for the museum, you can buy fossils and art from the re-tail forum. All you'd have to do is the bugs and fish if you wanted to.
There are people who are willing to help get the 100 visitors, so it's doable.

I do think the cons are making me lose interest, I know I haven't been playing as much as I used to and it's because I just get tired immediately of loading up my game and seeing all what is wrong with it. I've been re-landscaping a little bit again and that's getting tiresome doing it everyday just to make my town something I will like (which it still doesn't help). Hm yeah you are very right, I can get most of what I need for the museum from this forum, I suppose even if it would be a bit of work, buying things from people could get me visits alot faster as well.

- - - Post Merge - - -

Everything you just wrote was me about a month ago. I ultimately sold my town to Nook. I mostly don't regret it at all. I was missing my old town today going through that 5 Year Anniversary thread. But I mostly don't regret it.

For you, if having to lose all the Museum, renovations, etc. and start them all over would make you want to quit altogether is another factor. I happen to like doing that stuff. It's what keeps me playing - knowing I've got goals that still need to be met. I realize now that I could have still worked with my town even though I had many of the same issues you have, but I would have been frustrated from the flow of the town and from the fact that I didn't have a whole lot of goals to work toward anymore.

You know..you make a very valid point. Another reason I haven't been playing as much is I don't have goals anymore really. I've completed main street, I completed my museum, I got everything 'done' in a sense. Now I just do errands for villagers, get my meow coupons and landscape a little bit. I think perhaps resetting would be a good choice if it gave me something more to do again in the game. And to be truthful the reason I got most of that stuff done was from time traveling. I did that alot so it really progressed things up quite a bit in my town (my tree wouldn't be the size it is if I hadn't tt'd). While I don't necessarily see time traveling as a bad thing, maybe resetting and not tting as much could be what I need too.

Also I just realized I am a blind fool. There is a resetting thread right there in this forum. Welp :I
modsplsdontbemad

Last edited:
I've reset my town so much that I honestly have lost count (it must be close to ten times now), I'd say go for it. You will inevitably regret certain aspects of resetting when you think of a fav villager or some cool little landscaping you did (Or your museum collection D: ), but if you've got a lot of stuff you don't like about in your town then you will be able to take improvements from those into your new town!!!

It helps if you've got your current town in the dream suite as you can periodically visit to talk to old friends, enjoy certain aspects of your town or even get inspiration for your new one. Also I'd advise doing a bit of planning for you undestroyable pwps before you build them, holding off their construction until the very latest.

Anyways starting fresh (from what I found) is always a fun experience and is quite literally like playing the game for the first time again (ah the memories ^-^ )

- - - Post Merge - - -

I forgot to add i can get you your train station upgrade for free if you want, just PM me ^-^

Last edited:
It sounds like the pros of resetting outweigh the cons. The museum and remodels can always be gotten back, so unless you have a strong sentimental attachment, I don't see that much of a problem.

What strikes me about most of your cons is that they're all things you can't change. Those were actually some of the reasons why I reset one of my earlier towns.

At the very least, if you upload your town to the Dream Suite, you can visit it whenever you want! (I still visit one of my old towns every now and then... and then remember why I built a new town!)

I've reset my town so much that I honestly have lost count (it must be close to ten times now), I'd say go for it. You will inevitably regret certain aspects of resetting when you think of a fav villager or some cool little landscaping you did (Or your museum collection D: ), but if you've got a lot of stuff you don't like about in your town then you will be able to take improvements from those into your new town!!!

It helps if you've got your current town in the dream suite as you can periodically visit to talk to old friends, enjoy certain aspects of your town or even get inspiration for your new one. Also I'd advise doing a bit of planning for you undestroyable pwps before you build them, holding off their construction until the very latest.

Anyways starting fresh (from what I found) is always a fun experience and is quite literally like playing the game for the first time again (ah the memories ^-^ )

- - - Post Merge - - -

I forgot to add i can get you your train station upgrade for free if you want, just PM me ^-^

Wait your town stays in the dream suite if you delete it? I thought it would be gone for good, that's nice to know! I think I'll upload it then before I say goodbye. I know there is some stuff I will regret leaving/not having..but the more I think on it the more I do want a new start. And yes I will definitely be planning alot for permanent pwps this time around! I certainly won't have a police station or campsite, I change my mind too much on themes to have something like that in town.
And thank you for the upgrade offer! I appreciate it c:

- - - Post Merge - - -

It sounds like the pros of resetting outweigh the cons. The museum and remodels can always be gotten back, so unless you have a strong sentimental attachment, I don't see that much of a problem.

There is sentimental attachment of course but..you're right. I need to stop worrying about all the work it will take and just decide already. Like the others have I said, I can get it all back, it will take time but maybe time is what I need. A new start will give me the chance to just take the game slowly, to not rush through it all and just enjoy the game for what it is. And getting the stuff for the museum and the remodels will give me a reason to play through the tediousness of the beginning days of the game.

- - - Post Merge - - -

What strikes me about most of your cons is that they're all things you can't change. Those were actually some of the reasons why I reset one of my earlier towns.

At the very least, if you upload your town to the Dream Suite, you can visit it whenever you want! (I still visit one of my old towns every now and then... and then remember why I built a new town!)

I'm happy the dream address will stay in the suite! This makes it better as I don't have to totally say goodbye. And yes all the permanent stuff is really what made me post this in the first place. I have too much stuff I can't change in town and I like change, it's nice to always be able to start things anew, whether in game or real life.

Last edited:
I'm happy the dream address will stay in the suite! This makes it better as I don't have to totally say goodbye. And yes all the permanent stuff is really what made me post this in the first place. I have too much stuff I can't change in town and I like change, it's nice to always be able to start things anew, whether in game or real life.
It sounds like you know the answer to your resetting conundrum! ;)

The dream suite holds your town for a pretty long time from what I remember. You can delete it from there but you have to talk to Luna to get it removed from the cloud. I think my first town was still available for visiting for about three years? (I had the game since launch) So I think it depends on when Nintendo, or whoever own the servers, decide to clean up old villages.

More pros than cons, so at this point I think you should reset. You can get the town hall and train station upgrades back (people can offer to do quick visits for train station upgrade), museum art can be bought here, and fish and bugs can be quickly restored with some time travel.

- - - Post Merge - - -

I can also offer help to restoring your town (items bells etc) for free if you need anything :)

I just visited your dream town. It's a nice town but I can see why you want to restart. The campsite location alone would make me want to restart.

Two of my old towns are still stored in the Dream Suite. So they do stay stored if you made a DA for them. So you can always go back to The Void for a nice taste of nostalgia. The pros of resetting outweigh the cons. So I'd say restart.

Based on your description, I'd say reset. It really sounds like you're unhappy with your town, and though the museum will be a big loss, this community can trade with you and help you get all of that progress back!

The thing that keeps my friend from resetting his town is the medal progress, however. He likes his town but kind of wants a change of pace, and the only thing holding him back is losing all of his medals.

So it's up to you, but if the only reason to not reset is the museum, that can be reobtained.

Alright. I've made up my mind. I'm going to reset. Thanks everyone for helping me decide, I just really needed that second opinion.

I'll drop off the items I want to keep in my mom's town and sell the rest then I'll start the journey of selling my town and looking for a new place to call home (is that too cheesy? lol). Hopefully that doesn't take too long! *fingers crossed*

I've uploaded a new, updated dream if anyone wants to see how I was working on my town. DA in my signature.

- - - Post Merge - - -

The dream suite holds your town for a pretty long time from what I remember. You can delete it from there but you have to talk to Luna to get it removed from the cloud. I think my first town was still available for visiting for about three years? (I had the game since launch) So I think it depends on when Nintendo, or whoever own the servers, decide to clean up old villages.

That's great news! I'll be sure to keep visiting my old town from time to time :)

- - - Post Merge - - -

More pros than cons, so at this point I think you should reset. You can get the town hall and train station upgrades back (people can offer to do quick visits for train station upgrade), museum art can be bought here, and fish and bugs can be quickly restored with some time travel.

- - - Post Merge - - -

I can also offer help to restoring your town (items bells etc) for free if you need anything :)

I don't want to time travel too much in the new town but honestly I think I'll take my time with the museum this time around. Gives me something to work towards and it'll be nice not to rush. And thank you for your offer! :)

- - - Post Merge - - -

I just visited your dream town. It's a nice town but I can see why you want to restart. The campsite location alone would make me want to restart.

Two of my old towns are still stored in the Dream Suite. So they do stay stored if you made a DA for them. So you can always go back to The Void for a nice taste of nostalgia. The pros of resetting outweigh the cons. So I'd say restart.

Mm yes the campsite is my biggest regret. I wish I had known of the cedar tree thing when I placed it. I also wish it wasn't in the area it's in, and that it could be removed at all. It doesn't fit the modern theme I wanted to do.

- - - Post Merge - - -

Based on your description, I'd say reset. It really sounds like you're unhappy with your town, and though the museum will be a big loss, this community can trade with you and help you get all of that progress back!

The thing that keeps my friend from resetting his town is the medal progress, however. He likes his town but kind of wants a change of pace, and the only thing holding him back is losing all of his medals.

So it's up to you, but if the only reason to not reset is the museum, that can be reobtained.

The museum was the thing keeping me back yeah, but I've made up my mind, I'll reset and make something I actually like this time around, I'll take my time and plan things out and I'll just use the forum more often to get the art and fossils. The badges I personally don't care so much about, I never really worked to try to earn them or anything.

Last edited:
it looks like you?ve decided, but i wanted to give my input anyway. once your town stops being fun, there?s no use in keeping it around! i reached that point with my first town after a couple of years. thankfully, i haven?t reached that point with my current town. heck, i?m even considering demoing some of he non permamnent pep to try something new!

point being, if you like it, great! if you don?t, don?t keps it around.

it looks like you’ve decided, but i wanted to give my input anyway. once your town stops being fun, there’s no use in keeping it around! i reached that point with my first town after a couple of years. thankfully, i haven’t reached that point with my current town. heck, i’m even considering demoing some of he non permamnent pep to try something new!

point being, if you like it, great! if you don’t, don’t keps it around.

Even though I have decided, thanks for your input still! :) I agree, it just isn't worth it to try to make my town into something it can't be (because of the permanent stuff) and I don't have fun with it anymore, it's become a chore and I don't like when video games are chores.

Even though I have decided, thanks for your input still! :) I agree, it just isn't worth it to try to make my town into something it can't be (because of the permanent stuff) and I don't have fun with it anymore, it's become a chore and I don't like when video games are chores.

sending good vibes for a nice map and fun starting villagers!

Back