• The closing ceremony for TBT's Farewell to New Leaf event has been posted! View the winning entries and other closing announcements here. Thanks for joining in on the fun and nostalgia. We'll see you this Friday night for the start of our annual Easter Egg Hunt!

Encounters of the bird kind.

Once, a sparrow flew into my shower while I was taking a shower.

When I was on vacation with my family in Italy, we were eating breakfast outside the hotel. I went to the bathroom and when I came back, some birds were all over my scrambled eggs.

One time a bird got into our dorm building at school and was flying around in the hallway. My room mate guided the bird into our room so she could catch it and bring it back outside. She did manage to coax it down and wrapped a soft towel around it so she could bring it back outside. She has a pet bird at home so she knew what to do. I just thought it was funny at the time. It is just like "Oh sure, I always wanted a random bird flying around our room. Let's totally let it in from the hallway."

I remember when I was a junior, our head of high school was attacked by a Canadian Goose while walking on campus. It charged him and he threw his backpack at it in defense and ran for the hills. These creatures will attack you. I didn't see it happen, but it became so famous that it was recreated by students in the end of year school skit.

Also, when I was a child, we had two pet parakeets. When we had to remove them from the cage, I remember a handful of times they would escape our grasp and fly up to a ledge a few feet below the ceiling. It was inaccessible for us and we had to wait until it would decide to come down. Birds, man.

once my cat caught and brought a pigeon into the house, but she didnt actually kill it, so the damn thing started flying around the house and flapping blood all over the place... i had nightmares for weeks after that, im terrified of blood.

uhhh but hey i have something more positive. i used to have a parrot when i was a kid and we were really close, like she wouldnt leave my side (or rather shoulder) except for when i had to go to pre school or sleep. anyway, every time i had to take a bath or use the toilet, she would leave my shoulder and sit on the sink cupboard, watching me intently the entire time. i dont know why a 4 year old pooping was so interesting to that bird but it was and i used to find that pretty hilarious lol

My neighbor had a rapist goose, who anything you'd wear a skirt would SCREAM and run after you and shove his beak up your skirt, it was HORRIFYING, he bit by butt really hard one time it was kind of petrifying.

I had some pet budgies who'd play "blinkies" with me, a game we made up where he'd close his eyes and I'd almost close mine, and he'd peek out of one eye so I'd open mine and he'd close his again and dip his head, and then peek again, it was really cute.

My favorite pigeon memory was going to San Francisco and having an ice cream bowl and sharing my cone with a one eyed one legged pigeon, he was v cute.

I once saw a pidgeon hit the front window of a parked bus. Apparently it broke its neck in doing so, because it dropped down dead at once. What was remarkable about this, was that its partner (?) that had been flying next to it before the crash, immediately made a U-turn when it noticed that the other one was no longer by its side and returned to check on it. It seemed to try to “wake it up“ by cooing and gently pecking at it and did not leave its side until I had to leave. Seeing this broke my heart a little bit.

Last edited:
Reading the peacock stories reminded me of one of my own.

I had gone over to my sister's house to spend the night and she had gone to work so I was just hanging out in her room on the computer and stuff, and I heard this crazy loud noise. I was like, what the heck was that, it sounded kind of like a scream, but obviously not a human one. So I was just like, must be some crazy kids or something whatever. So I'm back to chillin', and I hear it again, but LOUDER. And i am just like, uhm ok, what the crap is that? So I'm like looking around her house, thinking maybe her cat was hurt and screaming or something, but I found her sleeping on the couch and I was just like wtf. It happened again and I looked out her window and right across the street is a peacock, fully fanning it's tail feathers just standing in front of the neighbors garage. I was like wtf, she lives in a residential area, where peacocks are not naturally meant to be, and I lived like, near her, and had never seen or heard one before... I asked her about it when she got home and she said there was a group of three and you could see them in THE TREES at night. I was just blown away!

I usually hate magpies because they swoop every ****er out because they're guarding their nest, but they still swoop even if you're walking away??????? but they make my friend really paranoid so that's funny I guess. Also I remember my grandparents' old budgie that used to fly around the living room and stuff and I just thought it was adorable.

there are some really aggressive swans living in a lake near my school. i?ve seen them bite children, bite someone?s nose, chase after people, stealing bread from people?s hands and putting their beak around small ducks? throats and violently shake them because they were in their way of the bread???? not very nice

Bigger birds kinda scare me honestly. Like yesterday I was at Chick-fil-a and there were seagulls everywhere & they'd fly so close.

Smaller birds are okay.

Back