When do you think a joke crosses the line?

If it's tasteful and is crafted properly to a point that it's funny, then it's below the line. Saying something dark with no pre-punchline or structure generally isn't entertaining and can be in poor taste. :rolleyes:

That being said, the world needs to stop this morphing into a generation of special snowflakes that get offended over nothing. Especially people who have nothing to do with the said joke (e.g. White people getting constantly offended over black jokes).

Last edited:
That being said, the world needs to stop this morphing into a generation of special snowflakes that get offended over nothing. Especially people who have nothing to do with the said joke (e.g. White people getting constantly offended over black jokes).

Yeah or using sexuality/gender/colour as a reason to being more special or having greater pain than someone else. yeah sorry I'm pretty much cis and have pains doesn't mean I'm better than you. Or yeah "I'm trans I can do trans jokes but you cannot". Yeah very including lol.

And yeah it's one thing making a slur and a completely another thing being nicely joking about it, if you get my point.

Last edited:
Yes.

Is bullying distressing? Potentially.
Is bullying disturbing? Potentially.
But would I use these terms for it? Perhaps, but they aren't what would first come to mind.
buddy your personal definition of trauma isnt really relevant in deciding what is actually a trauma. bullying can have life long effects on people and it can traumatize people. doesn't mean it has to traumatize people but it definitely can lol

buddy your personal definition of trauma isnt really relevant in deciding what is actually a trauma. bullying can have life long effects on people and it can traumatize people. doesn't mean it has to traumatize people but it definitely can lol

Well if doesn't always traumatise people but is almost always a bit of a downer then why describe it as traumatising?

I personally like dark humour, "offensive" comedy and the likes, but I'd say when they're used in inappropriate settings, don't make inappropriate jokes in front of children ect. I don't have an issue with offensive jokes, but sensitivity goes a long way.

When the sole purpose of a joke is to hurt someone, I dont mind insult comedy, I actually like it in some contexts, but when the person on the receiving end isn't cool with it, it's not cool, could cross the line into bullying.

Last edited:
I think a joke crosses the line when people get hurt. I wouldn't like people joking about my sexuality, race, nationality or my personal experiences in a malicious way, if I know the person doesn't intend on hurting me it's less annoying but I will still strike issue with it and I would tell them that I would prefer if they didn't make jokes like that again.

If you joke about me being white, don't expect me to laugh. Violence and malice is incorporated in jokes that relate to most racial jokes towards me. Luckily these aren't as common as sexuality jokes, however there has been a rise of them lately...

If you joke about me being gay, don't expect me to laugh. Violence and malice is incorporated in jokes that relate to most sexuality jokes towards me; I don't care about the joke if it's not malicious because they are just silly.

If you joke about me being Irish, don't expect me to laugh. EVERY joke incorporates idiotic stereotypes towards me and it's annoying. Religion is also mentioned and is often in reference to historical events such as The Troubles; which I find disgusting.

If you joke about me being mentally ill, don't expect me to laugh. I would instantly hate you.

It's not only because it's insensitive, I just find that these jokes are often stupid af? And extremely unoriginal. It would suck a tad less if they weren't so god damn dull. I don't get offended by 3/4 of these if they are used to ridicule me or joke about me, I just find them annoying and I often ponder about how dumb the people who make them are.

I dislike when people joke about people's appearance most of the time (if it's an inside joke amongst people you are familiar with it's fine), it's distasteful and I doubt many people would appreciate it. People have insecurities and they should be handled in a sensitive manner. I'm not one of these people but I have noticed that jokes relating to looks in general garner less of a response, I can see it in their eyes and that it isn't what they wanted to hear. Sure, joking about a bedhead or something is funny but I'm talking about people's facial and body insecurities.

My friends and I often joke about things we are secure about. Examples would be our: intelligence, physical fitness, eating habits, appearance (not maliciously, obviously) and hygiene. All of which we our perfectly fine with kidding about, we wouldn't joke about them otherwise; they are always in an exaggerative manner or insults in a humorous manner.

- - - Post Merge - - -

I hope I don't sound like a sensitive so and so, 'cause I'm definitely not. I'm making this post mostly from other people's perspectives.

If they don't get offended or hurt, I don't mind no matter the joke. If they do, just stop.

Some jokes are just plain stupid though and I prefer intelligence in jokes over stupidity.

Last edited:
Rape is a no go, also joking about lgbt stuff really irks me. But there's a difference in playful joking and hurtful joking so it depends who and how I guess. I mean me, a gay, poking fun at another gay, for being gay in a playful way is fun, but you have to know the person and know that they'll be receptive/accepting of it. You can't just go up to someone and call them a "slur" word, and there's people who use gay and the f word gay slur all the time(I can't stand that word) to mean that someone is stupid, less of a man, or girly and I HATE IT SOOOOO MUCH. KILL ITTTTT.

But really it depends on who you're joking with because people can be offended by anything and you don't know what a person has gone through, so you joking about ______ can be super hurtful to someone without you knowing... so really it's important to not be a jerk in the first place! =D

When people obviously haven't considered the emotional/social impact of their words - even prefacing dicey jokes with an acknowledgement helps. It's a fine line though.

theres a difference between dark humor (which i love), and racist or demeaning jokes about minority groups

for example invader zim was a perfect example of a cartoon with dark humor but it wasn't offensive

Honestly, I think making morbid jokes about a person that has died recently is tasteless and crosses the line. That's just one example though, I strongly dislike racist jokes too.

A joke crosses the line when a person feels like it has crossed a line. I hate it when people keep making tasteless jokes even after another person has expressed their unhappiness about them and try to justify making the person uncomfortable by saying that it's just a joke.

i saw a great example of someone on the internet having no idea how to interact and joke with people in a normal and acceptable way today.
he made a bad and forced joke about child physical abuse in a thread where people were talking about traumatic abusive things (such as physical abuse) they went through as children, and then when he was told that it was insensitive to make a joke like that there he wrote that since it wasn?t directly against the rules of the thread it was fine... just because something doesn't break any rules or w/e doesn't mean that it's an ok thing to say but some people don't seem to understand that, like, it just amazes me that he thought it was fitting and okay to make a joke saying that child physical abuse is funny there......, i don't understand the thought process behind it at all.

a joke is supposed to be funny and make people laugh. if several people are hurt, made uncomfortable or react badly to your joke you probably shouldn't have told it. it's basic social interaction to read a situation and adjust your jokes and what you say accordingly and i really don't get when people get mad about others reacting badly to their joke because they were supposed to read the situation and realize that Yeah No Maybe a joke like this wouldn't be fitting.

Last edited:
Rape, women/lgbt+/people of colour rights, suicide etc. And if it's directly bullying and making fun of a person in the room. Yeah thanks you don't have to joke about my bad sides, I know 'em too well :/

This!

Everything else (almost) is fair game.

Last edited:
It's fine to discuss but joking about things that are extremely sirius (such as sexual harassment, bullying, suicides, harming yourself or others, etc.) that's a no go and crossing a very bold printed line and when it happens is most likely will make me mad for the rest of the day. Even if it was intended to be lighthearted or amusing it will probably put me in a bad mood.

- - - Post Merge - - -

Oh and cussing and swearing. There are a bunch of adjectives better suited for any sentence that a big fat cuss word.

Back