• The closing ceremony for TBT's Farewell to New Leaf event has been posted! View the winning entries and other closing announcements here. Thanks for joining in on the fun and nostalgia. We'll see you this Friday night for the start of our annual Easter Egg Hunt!

When do you think a joke crosses the line?

can you at least open wikipedia or something before you write these kinds of things

I searched for the definition of "trauma" in case it had suddenly changed. So there's one teensy-weensy step. I don't care enough for this argument to pull up some facts and figures. Was only trying to contribute my opinions.

You know some pretty weird people. If I were to decide if someone was likely to throw bombs about the place, I'd base it off appearance rather than what they claimed to be. Why do you live in such an unaccepting area? (okay, that's not a reasonable question to answer, but I can only really see homosexuals etc. being judged online, not in person)

I only used the term "triggered" once, and in the BuzzFeed sense - not sure why you're bringing that up now.

Anyway, seeing as the big paragraphs are being rolled out, I'm going to wave my little white flag.

Wow I wish I was someone who didn't have "Haha gay guys are pedophiles" jokes and "Oh you're Indian? Are you gonna bomb the school?" jokes thrown at me my whole life so I could see people who were upset and react like this.

Who the **** are you quoting from...?? At least make the joke make sense hsnsnsn wtf

- - - Post Merge - - -

I searched for the definition of "trauma" in case it had suddenly changed. So there's one teensy-weensy step. I don't care enough for this argument to pull up some facts and figures. Was only trying to contribute my opinions.

You know some pretty weird people. If I were to decide if someone was likely to throw bombs about the place, I'd base it off appearance rather than what they claimed to be. Why do you live in such an unaccepting area? (okay, that's not a reasonable question to answer, but I can only really see homosexuals etc. being judged online, not in person)

I only used the term "triggered" once, and in the BuzzFeed sense - not sure why you're bringing that up now.

Anyway, seeing as the big paragraphs are being rolled out, I'm going to wave my little white flag.

^ this, haha. Istg they ain't normal

depends on who ur telling it to & ur intent

if ur joking w someone about something relevant to them and you dont know that theyre ok with it: crossing the line
if ur joking w someone about something relevant to them to offend them on purpose bc u find it funny: crossing the line
if u don't know how to come up with a joke that won't offend anyone: get cucked, zip those lips, ur a loser and no one cares to hear what u have to say

course sometimes we dont all have filters or we might say something mean not on purpose. say sorry, move on and SHUT UP regardless of the circumstances. how DUMB do u have to be to feel the need to fight this person on something they clearly wont change their mind on and just make them more upset. ur either an ******* for trying to make them more upset or just need to get over ur wounded pride. theres a time and place to fight ppl on these things but if ur supposedly telling a joke u shouldnt be mad if ppl respond to it negatively right??? cause u dont think they should respond negatively either. OK.

You know some pretty weird people. If I were to decide if someone was likely to throw bombs about the place, I'd base it off appearance rather than what they claimed to be. Why do you live in such an unaccepting area? (okay, that's not a reasonable question to answer, but I can only really see homosexuals etc. being judged online, not in person).

Ironically in a thread about jokes this is hilarious
I can't believe I keep forgetting homophobia and racism only exists online

Who the **** are you quoting from...?? At least make the joke make sense hsnsnsn wtf

I know you're only here to start drama but in case anyone else is wondering the same thing: literally every (western) brown person has had to deal with terrorism stereotypes and every gay man has heard gay men get compared to pedophiles and rapists (Look at the reaction to Kevin Spacey right now. Yes he's a pedophile however hundreds of people are blaming his sexuality). I don't know why you're acting like it's something ridiculous but I guess it'd make sense that you, someone who isn't brown and who isn't even a guy let alone a gay one, wouldn't ever hear those things considering they affect you at a rate of right around 0%.

Last edited:
I'm pretty much cool and not easily get offended by jokes, to be honest. But I wouldn't just comfortably crack a joke to an acquaintance or someone I'm not friends with. I also try to cautious if I feel that we aren't close enough to say this particular joke won't offend you. I guess, it depends on the person. It's probably not good to make fun of me if I'm in a very bad mood. That's all. Like I said, I can probably take no matter what it is on a normal day.

Shock humor can be done well in a genuine context, but I think it crosses a line when it's meant to hurt its audience.

I know you're only here to start drama but in case anyone else is wondering the same thing: literally every (western) brown person has had to deal with terrorism stereotypes and every gay man has heard gay men get compared to pedophiles and rapists (Look at the reaction to Kevin Spacey right now. Yes he's a pedophile however hundreds of people are blaming his sexuality). I don't know why you're acting like it's something ridiculous but I guess it'd make sense that you, someone who isn't brown and who isn't even a guy let alone a gay one, wouldn't ever hear those things considering they affect you at a rate of right around 0%.

How the heck do you know what ethnicity I am? You hate people assuming things about you, so don't do the same. I live in a western society and I have never in my life received any jokes about terrorism. So no. It's not literally every brown person.

Last edited:
im whitest middle eastern ever and i got jokes about terrorism in middle school

making one teensy-weensy step isnt anything to brag about, looking up facts and if what youre saying is 100% bigoted crap not based in reality or if it's Valid is, like, the least u should do.

youre talking like bullying and oppression only happens once in a thousand years.... again, you might not have been told that youre a terrorist bc of your skin color or ethnicity but it's really not a very uncommon experience for brown and/or muslim people to have. why dont you try listening for once instead of saying that it doesnt happen because you have never experienced it.

- - - Post Merge - - -

^ this, haha. Istg they ain't normal

it seems to happen quite a lot for it to be so extremely uncommon.
and, like, donald trump basically writes one "muslims are terrorists" or "immigrants (not white ones though uwu) are literally murdering your children right now" tweet a month, if someone hasnt been told that stuff to their face they're definitely getting it from hateful famous people like him.

How the heck do you know what ethnicity I am? You hate people assuming things about you, so don't do the same. I live in a western society and I have never in my life received any jokes about terrorism. So no. It's not literally every brown person.

I'm not assuming anything, didn't you say you were japanese or something unless I'm confusing you with someone else lmao.
Edit now that I think about it I may have confused you with Izzy LMAO my bad.

Anyways I'm sure you've heard someone stereotype middle eastern/indian people/muslims at some point in your life even if not directed at you, hell I've seen it on this very forum.

Last edited:
youre talking like bullying and oppression only happens once in a thousand years.... again, you might not have been told that youre a terrorist bc of your skin color or ethnicity but it's really not a very uncommon experience for brown and/or muslim people to have. why dont you try listening for once instead of saying that it doesnt happen because you have never experienced it.

No, I'm talking like claiming it's traumatic is an exaggeration. Black people being called terrorists... is that even a thing? More likely to commit crimes, sure, (source, seeing as people enjoy having a go at me for lack of research) but that's just being silly now. And yeah, some terrorist attacks are carried out by muslims, but generally not (source), so being afraid of or joking about anyone dressed in typical muslim fashion is probably due to news reports and the fact that they stand out compared to your average white guy.

I may have only "researched" for stuff within the UK, so maybe the statistics are all flippity-floppity elsewhere, but hopefully this is satisfactory for everyone. And it looks like I've gone back on my decision to resign from the argument. Oh well.

And no, I haven't experienced "it" so can't really say a great deal. I don't even particularly know anyone who is black, muslim, what have you, who could share their stories. In fact, I've never seen anyone in my age bracket who is black in person, with the closest being mixed race.

Last edited:
No, I'm talking like claiming it's traumatic is an exaggeration. Black people being called terrorists... is that even a thing? More likely to commit crimes, sure, (source, seeing as people enjoy having a go at me for lack of research) but that's just being silly now. And yeah, some terrorist attacks are carried out by muslims, but generally not (source), so being afraid of or joking about anyone dressed in typical muslim fashion is probably due to news reports and the fact that they stand out compared to your average white guy.

I may have only "researched" for stuff within the UK, so maybe the statistics are all flippity-floppity elsewhere, but hopefully this is satisfactory for everyone. And it looks like I've gone back on my decision to resign from the argument. Oh well.

And no, I haven't experienced "it" so can't really say a great deal. I don't even particularly know anyone who is black, muslim, what have you, who could share their stories. In fact, I've never seen anyone in my age bracket who is black in person, with the closest being mixed race.

if you have never met someone your age who's black i don't think you should even try to say what happens and what doesn't happen to them....

and you have a great opportunity to learn from gyro who has been subjected to those kinds of things but you just decide to question everything he's saying and being like "uh it can't be THAT bad :/"

you have a great opportunity to learn from gyro who has been subjected to those kinds of things but you just decide to question everything he's saying and being like "uh it can't be THAT bad :/"

Maybe so. I'm still finding it absurd all this spiralled from
You people need some life in you.
, but I suppose I also fuelled the fire.

i think admitting you don't know what youre talking about while also denying other people's experiences because of your Knowledge might have contributed a bit :/

I'm not denying that racism, homophobia etc. takes place, I just believe it can't be classed as a traumatic experience.

I don't like jokes. Jokes are terrible.

- - - Post Merge - - -

All jokes are bad.

I don't particularly enjoy dark humor, so I think a joke crosses the line when it is insulting the death of anybody. I personally hate when people joke about WW2 or 9/11 because so many innocent people died & they don't seem like things we should look back on & laugh at.

imo, it generally depends on what the person means rather than what they explicitly say -- i.e. someone poking a little fun at their own race to their friends, obviously not being serious, versus a blatantly racist person completely seriously making insensitive jokes about an ethnic minority.
but i think definitely, when people begin to desensitize serious topics such as sexual assault, racism, violence against POC/LGBT+ individuals, misogyny/violence against women, disabled individuals, WW2, 9/11, etc. etc. that's definitely crossing a line.

it's even worse when people make "triggered!11?!!" jokes or are completely inconsiderate of topics that, whilst might not negatively impact or scare people generally, obviously hurt others because they don't understand/think it's "just a joke"... because you don't know what other people may have experienced.

Last edited:
Back