• The closing ceremony for TBT's Farewell to New Leaf event has been posted! View the winning entries and other closing announcements here. Thanks for joining in on the fun and nostalgia. We'll see you this Friday night for the start of our annual Easter Egg Hunt!

When do you think a joke crosses the line?

Weiland

Flick Fanboy 🦎💞
Bells
MEOW Coupons
StreetPass Silver
Switch
7046-6089-3415
Dark humour is a thing, so really, anything can be joked about and depending on the person, it can be funny. But for me, joking about rape is a no-go. That's all I can really think of that offends me right now.

What about you? What topic being joked about crosses the line for you?

Rape, women/lgbt+/people of colour rights, suicide etc. And if it's directly bullying and making fun of a person in the room. Yeah thanks you don't have to joke about my bad sides, I know 'em too well :/

Rape or any sort of domestic violence, LGBTQ+ rights, mental illnesses or physical disabilities, putting someone down for race or religion

i used to joke about things like rape to be lighthearted about what happened to me
it stopped working after a while and i feel more at peace with myself
i don't really care what people joke about, people deal with things in different ways, such as joking about tragic events which shows that people aren't scared of these people carrying out these attacks (unless you're joking about the victims themselves)

I don't really like jokes that are just meant to offend people. I also don't find comedians who swear a lot to be funny at all. I prefer bad puns. The cheesier the better.

Read your audience. Sometimes people outright tell you a joke made them uncomfortable, sometimes you have to read body language, sometimes you just have to make a good judgment of your audience base. Sure, you can joke about anything, but there’s a time and place. If you’re too social inept to do so, it’s you’re problem, not over sensitivity.

depends who you're talking to
if you know the person wont take it personally or get offended it's fine
if you don't know if they will take it well it's better not to say it

i don't really mind as long as i am positive they're joking

it depends on the context, the joke and the person telling the joke. like, there are people that can use dark humor in a hilarious way and then there are *******s who suck at making jokes

dark humor only to shock people or be edgy is usually really not cool and the person making the joke is probably uhhh Bad
offensive jokes made to hurt pther people's feelings suck. for example telling someone that they deserve to die is never okay but doing it in a joke and using the "it was just a joke omg dont overreact -_-" defense when people get hurt is kinda gross.

I would say if it's to the point where it offends someone but seeing as how easily people are offended these days I don't see that as being a good guideline. I think a joke that could be easily misinterpreted as an ill-intended comment shouldn't be said. So subjects of extreme sensitivity should be avoided.

Last edited:
I think for me, it's about intent. I really like some offensive jokes if they're clever and maybe makes fun of stereotypes. For example, I'm Asian and I don't get offended if someone makes a joke about my eyes or whatever, in fact most of the time, I'm the one making jokes about myself. But if the person is actually saying the joke and obviously has genuine bias or hate towards the object of their joke, then that isn't funny at all. Also jokes about actual people is bullying unless they are in on the joke and don't mind.

Nothing really offends me, especially in the vein of jokes. My friends and I are outrageously crass and have no filter when we're around one another, and pretty much anything goes.

That said, I do think it's important to have something of a filter in place when you're around people you don't know as well, since you obviously have no way of knowing their comfort level or tolerance for such things. I don't think you should be walking on eggshells simply because someone might be offended by literally anything that comes out of your mouth, but basic discretion is never a bad thing.

One of my biggest pet peeves is when people outright bully other people and then say, "It was just a joke." If a joke makes fun of other people, I don't like it. I don't care if you think "people get offended too easily these days", please just grow up and learn to be respectful. There's no reason for it...

People have said what I wanted to say already but I will say:

- If you have to put down already-marginalized groups to be funny then you probably aren't funny.
- I understand people make jokes surrounding their own horrible trauma to "cope" (rape jokes, pedophilia jokes, etc.), but 1. It is an unhealthy coping mechanism, seeing as all it does is normalize the abuse/trauma you faced 2. You have to understand a lot of people will be uncomfortable with seeing this and if so, you cannot use "I'm coping" as an excuse 3. If your coping mechanism hurts other people, it's a really bad coping mechanism and you need to find other methods.

Nothing really offends me, especially in the vein of jokes. My friends and I are outrageously crass and have no filter when we're around one another, and pretty much anything goes.

That said, I do think it's important to have something of a filter in place when you're around people you don't know as well, since you obviously have no way of knowing their comfort level or tolerance for such things. I don't think you should be walking on eggshells simply because someone might be offended by literally anything that comes out of your mouth, but basic discretion is never a bad thing.

My thoughts exactly.

when the joke made us attacking minorities or victims of any kind.

any joke that relies on shock/edgy offensiveness to be funny is just worthless to me

Nowhere. A joke is a joke. lol

- - - Post Merge - - -

One of my biggest pet peeves is when people outright bully other people and then say, "It was just a joke." If a joke makes fun of other people, I don't like it. I don't care if you think "people get offended too easily these days", please just grow up and learn to be respectful. There's no reason for it...

They're being funny which, in my opinion, is a higher
virtue in a human being than being respectful.

- If you have to put down already-marginalized groups to be funny then you probably aren't funny.
- I understand people make jokes surrounding their own horrible trauma to "cope" (rape jokes, pedophilia jokes, etc.), but 1. It is an unhealthy coping mechanism, seeing as all it does is normalize the abuse/trauma you faced 2. You have to understand a lot of people will be uncomfortable with seeing this and if so, you cannot use "I'm coping" as an excuse 3. If your coping mechanism hurts other people, it's a really bad coping mechanism and you need to find other methods.
i agree with this, i only joked around with it in my own head or with one very close friend, i made sure he didn't feel uncomfortable and we both laughed about it but i realised it was a horrible way of coping, which is why it stopped working and i found other healthier ways to find peace.

any joke that deals with rape, gore, discrimination, or anything just really dark.

Jokes about race, sexuality, disability. Generally anything that offends someone about something they can't help or change is off limits. Rape jokes, weight jokes, and any kind of shaming jokes are a no.

Back