Weird Question

InsertCleverUsernameHere

Bells
Eggs
Old Eggs
Switch
5128-8173-5519
I just had this thought with the update about no houses on top of patterns. So, if you cover your entire village with patterns does that mean no one can move in at all? Does this also mean you can influence exactly where a villager can move or something of the sort by making only one viable spot in the entire village?

If the entire town is covered they'll move on top of the patterns anyway. I think if you make one viable spot then they'll go there? Not sure, you might have to plot reset to find out.

It doesn't work. I don't care what anybody says, I've had my town covered in patterns, and left several 3x3 spaces that have been previously lived on, and villagers moved onto the patterns instead. Every single time.

Plot resetting is the only safe way.

Covering your town completely, they will have no choice but to move wherever they want. Even though they do that reguardless of patterns.

I once left my entire town free of patterns, except for in front of my house..

A villager moved in front of my house the next day.

Weird because I've read many times that the Welcome Amiibo update makes it so that villagers can't move in on patterns. Maybe it's not entirely correct or... Hm...

I've read it too, that's why I get so annoyed when people post that they don't move onto patterns.. when I know for a fact, they do.

Last edited:
Are you sure there wasn't a 3x3 gap in those patterns? Because I have seen streamers and have done a bunch of villager move-ins myself and they never moved on the paths. The only time they did was when the spot I left open was too close to the Event Plaza. I still did plot resetting, of course, because there was always one pesky spot that I somehow missed.

So if you make one viable spot and cover the rest of your town, then you should definitely have the villager move into that one spot. But it has to be truly viable. To see if a pwp is viable you could test the area out by seeing if the Police Station pwp will be allowed to be placed there. I also think there may be a rule about acres and how only 3 houses are allowed per acre. It's still possible to have all houses lined up nicely though.

I guess the only way to be sure is if someone tests, but I think it's safe to say that 95% of the time villagers will no longer move on paths.

Yeah they won't move onto patterns unless there's no other spot they can move to. I've had some villagers destroy my patterns even though I left a couple of empty 3x3 spots for them.. no matter how many times I plot resetted (like more than 13?) they'd still move onto a pattern :( I think it was because the area where the empty 3x3 spot was already full? As in the villager limit per acre or something

They DO move onto patterns!

I had my entire town FREE except for patterns in front of my house, and behind it.
Someone moved in front of my house the next day, where the only patterns in town were.

I have tested this over and over, and made sure to leave 3x3 spots that were inhabited before. Left no other 3x3's, and they ignored it all and moved in front of a bridge. :-/ On patterns.

They DO move onto patterns!

I had my entire town FREE except for patterns in front of my house, and behind it.
Someone moved in front of my house the next day, where the only patterns in town were.

I have tested this over and over, and made sure to leave 3x3 spots that were inhabited before. Left no other 3x3's, and they ignored it all and moved in front of a bridge. :-/ On patterns.

That’s strange. Personally right now i have my town covered in patterns and one 3x3 space open for a house and I’ve had no problems? They should only be moving on to the patterns if there’s absolutely no spaces available, making their plot random. You could check if you made the plot too close to something else because I’ve had that happen before and just adjusted the plot. If you could tell where you were trying to move your villager in, it could help with determining what’s wrong exactly.

Also i don’t know if this makes a difference but I ALWAYS leave open an extra space at the bottom of the 3x3 in the middle where their door is supposed to be. Kinda like this:
x x x
x x x
x x x
...x <—

You could try that potentially? I don’t know how many other people do this but that’s my intake

Last edited:
It happened to me before I even realised it was a thing, I was thinking about how lucky I was getting with my house placements when I found out. If most people are saying it’s true maybe there’s an issue with your game?? Nothing serious clearly but something is obviously affecting it.

I'm not sure if patterns help or not since I have heard it both ways. If I want to keep a villager away from a spot, I'll place a pwp like a fountain or lamp in the area. I also like to plot reset when I know a villager is moving in soon.

It's safe to say leave your pattern plotting until you see the 'this spot is reserved for [blank]'.
The animals don't care, Tom Nook doesn't care, they will move right onto it, as long as there's no object in its way (like rocks, trees, a project...)

I'll say it one last time. I made multiple plots that were lived on previously. Hardly anything was even built back then, and they were near nothing else. They move wherever they want.

There isn't an issue with my game.

Last edited:
I've watched streamers plot reset and most of the time it goes well.
A few times they missed placing a few tiles so the house went there. Other times they didn't leave enough space from another house/PWP or placed the opening where a house wouldn't fit. Using a new saved file fixed the problem.

A friend showed a picture of a villager in front of her bridge. She did place tiles but not sure if she placed enough. Houses can land on flowers and trees.

After 9 villagers they wouldn't move in if you didn't visit/host other players or streetpass anyone.

That’s strange. Personally right now i have my town covered in patterns and one 3x3 space open for a house and I’ve had no problems? They should only be moving on to the patterns if there’s absolutely no spaces available, making their plot random. You could check if you made the plot too close to something else because I’ve had that happen before and just adjusted the plot. If you could tell where you were trying to move your villager in, it could help with determining what’s wrong exactly.

Also i don’t know if this makes a difference but I ALWAYS leave open an extra space at the bottom of the 3x3 in the middle where their door is supposed to be. Kinda like this:
x x x
x x x
x x x
...x <—

You could try that potentially? I don’t know how many other people do this but that’s my intake

I have left that space.
I do know what I'm doing. The fact is that they move wherever they want.

I know it from a solid year of testing.

Ok. I'm done talking about it. Plot reset. That's the only way to get them to move where you want. Otherwise you risk them destroying parts of your town.

Edit. I've tried 4x4 and even 5x5. As stated, I've tested all of it.

Last edited:
I've read it too, that's why I get so annoyed when people post that they don't move onto patterns.. when I know for a fact, they do.

What are you talking about? It actually works.
Since I have a fourth character I can't/won't move out, I ended up just putting patterns everywhere except for certain spots I'd want villagers to move in.
So far, while time traveling, they always move in the exact spots I want them to move.

You should account for other people's experience before just outright claiming it "doesn't work".

Maybe you didn't update your game? Who the heck knows? It's on your side only, not other people.

The problem is, nobody is accounting for MY experience. My game IS up to date. Done talking to a brick wall. Over & out.

Back