• The closing ceremony for TBT's Farewell to New Leaf event has been posted! View the winning entries and other closing announcements here. Thanks for joining in on the fun and nostalgia. We'll see you this Friday night for the start of our annual Easter Egg Hunt!

Sonic Forces General Discussion

amazonevan19

DLELELEWOOOOP
Bells
MEOW Coupons
StreetPass Silver
Switch
1404-3604-3427
Coco
New Leaf Token
November Birthstone (Topaz)
Blue Hybrid Pansy
Lobo
Leif
Idk why there isn't a thread on this game yet, so I'll start one here!

Are you going to buy Sonic Forces? Thoughts and opinions welcome! And as always, please put any and all spoilers in spoiler tags.

I got the game, and so far I'm enjoying it quite a bit. Certainly not a 5/10 like Polygon is saying, lol. It's shaping up to be an 8.5/10 game from the looks of it, but ik I still have a lot more to experience.

I am unsure about getting this game. The side scrolling platforming parts look cool, but I am not really a fan of the newer Sonic play style of just running foward throuh a stage without being able to really look around. How are those stages? Infinite looks pretty cool though and I like his theme song.

I am looking forward to Sonic Mania because it looks like Sonic 3 and I love that game.

I'm fence sitting on this, mostly because I've got some games coming that I'm more excited for than Sonic Forces. I've got some other Sonic titles in the backlog anyways, I should probably focus on finishing Mania and Colors and Generations and eventually Unleashed on PS3.

I bought it on Day 1 on Steam. I managed to beat it in under 2 hours. Refund it immediately. Most of my times were under a minute.

Not doing too good on metacritic. 55 on Switch and 53 on PS4. Ouch.

I'm just angry and disappointed. If you really finish the game, pay attention, and then play episode shadow then you'll notice it just doesn't fit in with the rest of the main story. Generally, there were some cool things about the game but I feel like they don't ultimately save the game. I also felt like the story fell apart and was too fast paced.

I feel like chaos was shown just to get people to play the game since he legit did nothing but be a cameo...It really infuriated me to no end.

I haven't played it but I'm really disappointed regardless. Sonic Team really needs to do something different because ratings from many 3D Sonic games up until Sonic Forces have been horrible. My problems with the franchise right now:

- Gameplay
While I thought the take of Modern Sonic's current gameplay was cool in Sonic Unleashed, I really don't like it enough for them to implement it in every future game. There's no room to explore and it's too repetitive.

- Voices
I haven't played a Sonic game from the main series since they changed the voices. You just can't have a serious story with them. They work perfect in a comedy show like Sonic Boom but awful in a serious scenario. They need to be changed.

- Story
There just hasn't felt like a solid story with Sonic for awhile. I loved the Sonic Adventure series because Eggman got so far with his plans and really made Sonic struggle to stay ahead of him. Unleashing the deadly chaos upon the world, using a weapon developed by his grandfather, etc.

- Chao Gardens Nonexistant
Where the flip is a Chao garden people have been asking for forever?

Last edited:
After playing it more, my enthusiasm is dampened. The game is really short and the stages are fast. While I like the story premise, music, and atmosphere, the gameplay often suffers from auto control or repetition.

If you like Sonic, I think you'll like the game, but it brings nothing revolutionary or new to the table. Especially in context of Mario Odyssey and Sonic Mania, Forces is definitely not the epic title I was hoping it would be. I personally enjoy it, but I see the legitimacy of many of the complaints directed towards it, and for most people I would recommend Mania instead.

Forces: 7/10
Mania: 9/10

When Forces got announced back then, I was actually kinda interested in it. However, now
I lost completely my interest in it. I didn't play it yet, but I watched many Let's Plays and also
read some reviews, and what I saw didn't really got me excited. The story is kinda lame, at least
for me it's sounds and looks not so exciting. I also don't like the gameplay at all and overall, I'm
not convinced with it. Especially since I see more and more people which finished the game within
two or three hours, like no sorry, not gonna spend my money on a game where I only have a few
hours of fun with it. Guess I will not gonna buy it.

- Chao Gardens Nonexistant
Where the flip is a Chao garden people have been asking for forever?

This. The Chao garden was my favorite back then, they could make a game only about Chaos and
people would buy it. It's a shame that they didn't bring it back.

is the game challenging?

According to TV Tropes, there's little challenge in this game, even on Normal difficulty. Heck, you would easily attain S-Ranks on your very first playthrough!

I was hoping it would be great but being a Sonic game, I also didn't have my hopes high...I didn't really have hopes, it would have just been nice if it was good.

Most positive reviews give me the feeling of "well, at least it isn't as bad as *insert one of the many other awful Sonic games*" (including reviews from sources I usually trust). It's Sonic, it's not hard to make the newest game look good in comparison to the last with this series, so that doesn't come across as a good thing to me...

Sitting on around 2-3 hours to beat, even with it not being full priced...I'm probably going to wait for this one to go on sale before I even think of touching it.

Oh, and the 'create your own Sonic OC (do not steal)' thing looks damn awful. That I can't just pretend the feature doesn't exist puts me off.

I've not played it so I'm not going to judge its quality myself until I have played it (because only an idiot would do so) but even just seeing how the game plays and snippets from some of the levels, I'm really not wanting to drop money on this. Even from just videos I can see it suffers from many of the things I've hated about most of the 3D Sonic games.

Oh, and the 'create your own Sonic OC (do not steal)' thing looks damn awful. That I can't just pretend the feature doesn't exist puts me off.

I thought that part looked pretty cool tbh. Probably gonna be a big hit among the Sonic fanbase. *shudders*

I need some imput... Will I like this game?

The version I will buy if I do buy it will be the Nintendo Switch edition, if it matters.
I am a 1 in a million type of guy who prefers 3D sonic over 2D Sonic, a.k.a Modern Sonic over Classic.
I want a game to actually last me a decent amount of time, because I'm spending $55 NZD on this game.
I really liked Sonic Unleashed Day stages, are they anything like those?
I like cutscenes, and I care about story.
Graphics dont matter to me.

Keeping all that in mind, is this game worth picking up for me?

honestly i thought the idea of making your own personal character was cool at first until i realized many things. i've personally never played a sonic game but from looking afar i can say this game has a really weird sonic '06 aura and genuinely, i hate it lol.

there's so many limitations to character creation but i guess that was to be expected, but still. there's really just such a lack of creativity.. it's just so boring and bland. and why would they even give you the option to look exactly like sonic that's so dumb lol

the levels are insanely broken just like sonic '06, the game just doesn't function. i don't know why they can't ever get these games right with the bugs. i've never seen a more buggy game series in my life.

Evan do you think the game is worth $25?

Considering Mania is $20 and is a much better experience, I'm not sure. I enjoyed Forces despite its multitude flaws and rather disappointing length, and I paid $40 for it. It's up to you whether it's "worth it" at $25. I'm inclined to say if you want to try it out, wait for the price drop

- - - Post Merge - - -

I need some imput... Will I like this game?

The version I will buy if I do buy it will be the Nintendo Switch edition, if it matters.
I am a 1 in a million type of guy who prefers 3D sonic over 2D Sonic, a.k.a Modern Sonic over Classic.
I want a game to actually last me a decent amount of time, because I'm spending $55 NZD on this game.
I really liked Sonic Unleashed Day stages, are they anything like those?
I like cutscenes, and I care about story.
Graphics dont matter to me.

Keeping all that in mind, is this game worth picking up for me?

Nintendo Switch edition is only a slight graphical downgrade in comparison to the ps4 version. It still looks really good to me, and portability is a huge plus.

That being said, if you like 3d sonic, I think you'll like this game to a degree. The problem is, it does nothing to really innovate or do more than prior 3d sonic games. Some of the physics are wonky. But most importantly...nearly all of the stages felt too short. The whole game lasts about 4 hours, and the episode Shadow DLC is only 20 minutes max.

You will probably enjoy the game's replayability though.

The game's premise is cool, and the characters are pretty well written, but the story is pretty bland. Not worth writing home about.

Ultimately, I'd skip it and buy Mania instead if I were you. And if you already played Mania...hold your cash for a better game. I enjoyed Forces, but it does have a lot of flaws, and tbh I am the kind of person who will try to make the best out of a game and give myself challenges that the game doesn't give me itself. Forces is pretty easy and short.

What?! You can beat the game in 4 hours? That is way too short of a game for me. It is like you just start getting into a game and then it ends. I think I will just look for Sonic Mania instead. That game looks really cool.

The Switch version looks fine in handheld mode but TV mode just looks bad. I like the game so far it has a few flaws but I think it’s above average for a Sonic game. It’s going on sale on Black Friday.. wish I waited but oh well I guess.

Back