• The closing ceremony for TBT's Farewell to New Leaf event has been posted! View the winning entries and other closing announcements here. Thanks for joining in on the fun and nostalgia. We'll see you this Friday night for the start of our annual Easter Egg Hunt!

Pretending to be Trendy & Cool

Status
Not open for further replies.

Hulaette

The Magical Mermaid
Bells
MEOW Coupons
StreetPass Silver
Blue Candy
Jack
Orange (Fruit)
I gotta say that I really roll my eyes at people who think it's a fad to be gay or lesbian or whatnot. Not only about identity...but I noticed some people thinking its sooo cool and trendy to be a "vegan" and run around sporting an "I <3 Earth" t-shirt. I'm not bashing actual LGBT or vegans (really, I love everyone for who they are!) it's just that there are so many people acting like they do when they actually don't. But than again...to the people who run around and claim that non-vegans have a problem of Vegans, the truth is...there IS no problem!

I feel that some certain vegan people (not everyone) are so far up their bazingas that they think everyone has a problem with them and go around and freak out over people who eat meat when in reality the individual is the only one forcing his/her opinions & beliefs onto meat eaters. Like think about it, do you see meat eaters running around with signs that say "EAT MEAT MORE PROTEIN!"..............No you don't. Again I will say there is no bashing in this thread and no discrimination either. I'm just calling out the fake wannabes.

I'm trying to sound nice here but I really hate when people criticize people for "pretending" to be LGBT and say they're just "trying to be trendy".

You don't know they're pretending. You don't know they're attention-seeking. They could be experimenting with their identity and still figuring themselves out. There's nothing wrong with this. That's just a process of life, especially in the heteronormative and cisnormative society we live in today. Even if they come to a realization that they're straight and cisgender afterwards, that's entirely fine.

To say you're not bashing "actual LGBT" people is absurd. Please let people (especially young people and young LGBT people!) experiment and figure out their own lives.

i really don't think anyone pretends to be lgbt for attention. usually the people who are pegged as "pretending" are young teenagers. and even if someone says that they're gay one day, maybe they're realize that they're not. same with bi and straight. hell, it took me until i was 21 to realize that i even liked girls and i like girls a lot. SO.

I'm not oppressing anyone from LGBT, I didn't say anything like that. If it sounds like I am, I'm sorry. Anyway I had recently run into a 16 year old gay teenager several months ago and he acted so confident and proud of who he is. He went around thinking he knows exactly who he is and what his thoughts & opinions are. The truth is that I could see very clearly that he was an insecure know-it-all who thinks he has the world by the horns but in reality he was just a raging adolesent confused teenager who took out his shame and insecurities on me. He kind of picked on other people a little. What I am saying is that SOMETIMES gay teenagers bully others a little bit, Vegans SOMETIMES force their eating habits onto meat eaters. Not always,
not everyone...Just sometimes, and certain individuals.

I try not to assume what's in someone's heart and mind because there's no way to truly know their experience. I think, as such, you can't decide who's valid and who isn't.

I'm not oppressing anyone from LGBT, I didn't say anything like that. If it sounds like I am, I'm sorry. Anyway I had recently run into a 16 year old gay teenager several months ago and he acted so confident and proud of who he is. He went around thinking he knows exactly who he is and what his thoughts & opinions are. The truth is that I could see very clearly that he was an insecure know-it-all who thinks he has the world by the horns but in reality he was just a raging adolesent confused teenager who took out his shame and insecurities on me. He kind of picked on other people a little. What I am saying is that SOMETIMES gay teenagers bully others a little bit, Vegans SOMETIMES force their eating habits onto meat eaters. Not always,
not everyone...Just sometimes, and certain individuals.

I think the word you're looking for is "discriminating against" rather than "oppressing" but to the main point:

You sound... very judgemental? Obviously no one has their entire life figured out by sixteen but many people have their sexuality figured out by then, and even if he doesn't, who cares!?

Of course gay teenagers can be bullies but so can everybody, and that definitely isn't what you said in your first post at all. You're also picking on a child behind their back which, sorry to rain on your parade, is in fact bullying itself.

I'm not going to touch the veganism topic because this is wild enough lol

I think the word you're looking for is "discriminating against" rather than "oppressing" but to the main point:

You sound... very judgemental? Obviously no one has their entire life figured out by sixteen but many people have their sexuality figured out by then, and even if he doesn't, who cares!?

Of course gay teenagers can be bullies but so can everybody, and that definitely isn't what you said in your first post at all. You're also picking on a child behind their back which, sorry to rain on your parade, is in fact bullying itself.

I'm not going to touch the veganism topic because this is wild enough lol

Excuse me? I was just telling an experience I had with a LGBT person. I believe I made myself very clear that there is NO discrimination or bullying in this thread, also it wasn't necessary to cram everything into 1 post. I'm not writing a novel for you. Read my 1st post again because you're taking it the wrong way.

Last edited:
Excuse me? I was just telling an experience I had with a LGBT person. I believe I made myself very clear that there is NO discrimination or bullying in this thread, also it wasn't necessary to cram everything into 1 post. I'm not writing a novel for you. Read my 1st post again because you're taking it the wrong way.

You called a teenager a raging insecure know-it-all, obviously I don't know the details to the situation but that sounds like being a bully to me.

Your first post says that you think some people pretend to be LGBT when they really aren't just because it's a "fad". I'm saying it doesn't matter because people are allowed to figure themselves out at whatever pace they see fit. Usually even if these people aren't LGBT, in the time being they think they are, or are questioning whether they are and aren't. There isn't anything wrong with this.

I don't understand why you're offended enough to even make a thread like this? :/ How does this affect you in any way? Accusing someone of pretending to be LGBT is more hurtful to the community itself than people "pretending" (in air quotes because again, this is all an assumption on your part) to be LGBT. The one example you gave sounds like you don't even know that person personally. Unless they literally admitted to you they were "attention-seeking" (cause yeah being bullied for being LGBT sounds like fun), you have no right to assume that's what they were doing. People are allowed to figure out how their sexuality without being crucified and if they end up not feeling that way anymore, so be it. Sexuality is complicated and not something you figure out overnight.

yeah, it's very unlikely that somebody will pretend to be lgbt. people tend to use examples of bisexual or pansexual people who end up in opposite gender relationships or teens who believe themselves to be nonbinary. at it's core, that is people discovering themselves. it hurts nobody if little Janie realizes that she's actually heterosexual after identifying another way (well, maybe an significant others, but that's beside the point). and in the same manner, if Devin wants to use 'they' pronouns then wants 'he' or 'she' pronouns, Devin never faked any factor themself. that was what they truly felt right.

nobody comes out for fun. it's not fun at all and causes a lot of anxiety for a great number of those who do it, especially if their family or friends' reaction is unpredictable. when my girlfriend came out, she was excommunicated from her church. that's not fun.

granted, the fun in being lgbt is the relationships that you can enter into. but why would anyone bother to fake that?

You called a teenager a raging insecure know-it-all, obviously I don't know the details to the situation but that sounds like being a bully to me.

Your first post says that you think some people pretend to be LGBT when they really aren't just because it's a "fad". I'm saying it doesn't matter because people are allowed to figure themselves out at whatever pace they see fit. Usually even if these people aren't LGBT, in the time being they think they are, or are questioning whether they are and aren't. There isn't anything wrong with this.

Well he seemed angry all the time, making petty sexual comments to bystanders. You accuse me of bullying for speaking the truth? You don't know how the situation went.

- - - Post Merge - - -

I don't understand why you're offended enough to even make a thread like this? :/ How does this affect you in any way? Accusing someone of pretending to be LGBT is more hurtful to the community itself than people "pretending" (in air quotes because again, this is all an assumption on your part) to be LGBT. The one example you gave sounds like you don't even know that person personally. Unless they literally admitted to you they were "attention-seeking" (cause yeah being bullied for being LGBT sounds like fun), you have no right to assume that's what they were doing. People are allowed to figure out how their sexuality without being crucified and if they end up not feeling that way anymore, so be it. Sexuality is complicated and not something you figure out overnight.

If you're offended this easily about how I said the things in my post than that's your problem not mine. I said more than twice now that this thread has NO INTENTIONS OF DISCRIMINATION OR BULLYING!! I will say that one last time.

- - - Post Merge - - -

yeah, it's very unlikely that somebody will pretend to be lgbt. people tend to use examples of bisexual or pansexual people who end up in opposite gender relationships or teens who believe themselves to be nonbinary. at it's core, that is people discovering themselves. it hurts nobody if little Janie realizes that she's actually heterosexual after identifying another way (well, maybe an significant others, but that's beside the point). and in the same manner, if Devin wants to use 'they' pronouns then wants 'he' or 'she' pronouns, Devin never faked any factor themself. that was what they truly felt right.

nobody comes out for fun. it's not fun at all and causes a lot of anxiety for a great number of those who do it, especially if their family or friends' reaction is unpredictable. when my girlfriend came out, she was excommunicated from her church. that's not fun.

granted, the fun in being lgbt is the relationships that you can enter into. but why would anyone bother to fake that?

A narcissist would fake that.

"I really love people for who they are" unless they're fakers in which case you choose to call them out on an animal crossing forum where they'll never actually see any of the things you say. I mean, okay hipster, tell me more about how fake everyone is. You're obviously perceptive enough to know who's faking something entirely personal like their sexuality or eating habits, right?

Why even make this thread? Is meaningless drama all you have to talk about?

"I really love people for who they are" unless they're fakers in which case you choose to call them out on an animal crossing forum where they'll never actually see any of the things you say. I mean, okay hipster, tell me more about how fake everyone is. You're obviously perceptive enough to know who's faking something entirely personal like their sexuality or eating habits, right?

Why even make this thread? Is meaningless drama all you have to talk about?

What drama are you talking about? There's no drama here. I don't understand why everyone on this thread is getting their noses out of joint over how I'm saying this, this confuses me.

What drama are you talking about? There's no drama here. I don't understand why everyone on this thread is getting their noses out of joint over how I'm saying this, this confuses me.

You're complaining about people faking things that have absolutely nothing to do with you, which is dramatic and ridiculous. Why do you care what t shirt someone wears, or what sexuality they claim to be? You don't know for sure what people are into and you shouldn't pretend to.

Ok, I've made myself clear multiple times but ya'll just want to fight over other peoples views on this sensitive subject. Locking this thread.

A narcissist would fake that.

you’re right, op. i agree! let’s hate those damn dirty gays over hypothetical perceived narcissism!

no, but really, i’ll say a lil prayer tonight that you don’t have any lgbt children because they wouldn’t deserve this ❤️

Well he seemed angry all the time, making petty sexual comments to bystanders. You accuse me of bullying for speaking the truth? You don't know how the situation went.

Sure I don't, but it would have been better to give context to that situation in the first place.

You can say this is a bully free/anti-discrimination zone all you want, however that doesn't mean your posts are incapable of hurting people. LGBT people are here telling you that the way you perceive these "pretenders" isn't accurate. Sorry if it seems we're attacking you but what you said can really hurt LGBT people, namely young LGBT people.

"You're faking it" and "You're doing it for attention" are heard a lot by LGBT people, especially bi/pan and nonbinary people as someone else pointed out. It's something we all constantly worry about - that these claims are correct and we're just doing it for attention. We have to constantly remind ourselves that we aren't. Making a thread about it can bring forth these anxieties and it's really harmful.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back