• The closing ceremony for TBT's Farewell to New Leaf event has been posted! View the winning entries and other closing announcements here. Thanks for joining in on the fun and nostalgia. We'll see you this Friday night for the start of our annual Easter Egg Hunt!

Omg just learned about the Texas shooting. What's wrong with this world...

Now I'm not even sure what your solution is even trying to be.

Do you just want to throw in any "potentially dangerous" mentally ill person in an asylum before they've even done anything wrong? Because that is beyond abelist and disgusting and I don't wish to go into it more. We already have unjust imprisonments as it is.
Or are you saying throw all criminals into asylums? That doesn't solve anything since 1. if the threat of prison isn't enough, the threat of an asylum also won't be enough and 2. they've already killed tens of people and this does nothing to prevent further attacks.

What I'd rather have is for peoples' access to guns be taken away or become immensely stricter. If you don't add fuel to a fire it has less of a chance to burn someone.

Criminals should still go to jail. I wouldn’t support putting them in asylums if they aren’t mentally ill.

However, for criminals such as first-degree murderers, second-degree murderers, child abusers (worst cases only), and animal abusers (worst cases only), I would support the death penalty, torture preferred for the worst of these criminals. It doesn’t matter how quick or slow it is, if they take a life and don’t regret it, execution is the preferred method.

There?s no denying that my suggestion is cruel. It?s true. But our society has gotten worse already. Criminals nowadays are more ridiculous and dangerous than they were 1,000 years ago. The reason why we?re not punishing people enough to where it will deter crime is because people are appealing to ethics more. I wouldn?t mind ditching ethics if it were to torture the most heinous criminals. Would you rather have them running free and endangering more peoples? lives, or would you rather have them suffer while the innocent have nothing endangering them?

where's your limit as far as 'mentally ill' people being locked up in asylums? does this extend to all mental illness or just the ones that the powers that be decide are dangerous? i mean, do i get a free pass because OCD isn't considered one of the more dangerous mental illnesses but my friends with BPD or bipolar should get locked away? it's a slippery slope and cruel. most people obtain diagnosis' from reaching out for help and in your scenario, you run the risk of people not reaching out for help. bad post, op.

gun control is the only answer. hell, if we're locking people up preemptively, i guess we should just do all middle aged white men who account for most murders in the country.

hell, if we're locking people up preemptively, i guess we should just do all middle aged white men who account for most murders in the country.

Honestly I think that's a good idea already

where's your limit as far as 'mentally ill' people being locked up in asylums? does this extend to all mental illness or just the ones that the powers that be decide are dangerous? i mean, do i get a free pass because OCD isn't considered one of the more dangerous mental illnesses but my friends with BPD or bipolar should get locked away? it's a slippery slope and cruel. most people obtain diagnosis' from reaching out for help and in your scenario, you run the risk of people not reaching out for help. bad post, op.

I wouldn’t consider bi-polar, OCD, multiple personality, or depression that bad. If they do something that dangerous, then that’s when I would consider punishing. But I’m in favor of asylum imprisonment for extreme cases only. Public shootings like what we see on the media is extreme. Oh, and another thing: I don’t believe in rounding up people that have mental illnesses. I wouldn’t look for trouble and get rid of it before it happens.

Conversely, the shooter isn’t mentally ill, at least what I think. But he was extreme. It was all over conflict within his family.

The thing that really gets me is the fact they they won't pass the things that make it harder to get guns (back ground checks and the like). If your legally (by the things that didn't get passed in Govt.) allowed to buy a gun why can't they pass the new law? Are all of America's politicians dirty and have shady backgrounds that would prevent them owning firearms if they passed the new law...

Also surprisingly this is the first time I've ever heard of a mass shooting being intervened by a civilian with a gun, which is kinda messed up that one of the church goers had a gun on them...

Also surprisingly this is the first time I've ever heard of a mass shooting being intervened by a civilian with a gun, which is kinda messed up that one of the church goers had a gun on them...

Me too, although I believe that man heard the shots, grabbed the gun from his home, and ran to the scene to confront him.

Just saw on the news in NZ Trump and the other republicans responses...

Trump "the problem is mental health issues" then the news shows countries with the same mental state as the US and shows the US with 6-7 times more shootings. Then the Republican says they just need to pray and love each other and they'll pull through...

I'm done with America and my heart and tears go out to all of the normal Americans who don't want guns because I feel unbearably sorry for you :(

Last edited:
I'm sick of hearing about 'Gun control is the only way to fix this' blah blah blah.

If someone wants to find a way to shoot up a place they're going to do it anyway. I've read through this entire thread and a lot of it is sickening to me. I have schizophrenia, depression, and disassociative identity disorder, hell, I hear voices telling me to kill myself or kill someone else daily but I'm not going to grab a gun and mass murder people- or anyone for that matter.
Does that mean I deserve to get locked in an asylum? Because I have potentially dangerous mental illnesses? That I'm getting therapeutic help and taking medication for?

If anything, taking away guns will be fueling the fire for people who want to do this kind of ****. They're already messed up, they're already committing a crime. Making guns harder to obtain would be nice, yes, but if someone wants to use a gun to rob a bank or break into someone's house or kill multiple people I doubt a law that says you're not allowed to own a gun will stop them. They're already planning to break the law, they're not going to stop and be like "Oh no owning a gun is illegal I guess I can't go kill someone/rob a bank/whatever."

Also 50+ people dying in Vegas and 27 people dying in Texas is nothing. I lack the empathy to really care about that. In the end it's nothing more than a statistic. So many people die every day and there are already so many people populating Earth that any number less than a hundred thousand only effects people personally. Kinda wish they'd killed more people, actually, the population of earth needs to decrease before we end up destroying it. I've had too many people die in my life to be affected by death at all. Just kind of done with all of this, yeah? Let people do whatever they want at this point.

I'm sick of hearing about 'Gun control is the only way to fix this' blah blah blah.

If someone wants to find a way to shoot up a place they're going to do it anyway. I've read through this entire thread and a lot of it is sickening to me. I have schizophrenia, depression, and disassociative identity disorder, hell, I hear voices telling me to kill myself or kill someone else daily but I'm not going to grab a gun and mass murder people- or anyone for that matter.
Does that mean I deserve to get locked in an asylum? Because I have potentially dangerous mental illnesses? That I'm getting therapeutic help and taking medication for?

If anything, taking away guns will be fueling the fire for people who want to do this kind of ****. They're already messed up, they're already committing a crime. Making guns harder to obtain would be nice, yes, but if someone wants to use a gun to rob a bank or break into someone's house or kill multiple people I doubt a law that says you're not allowed to own a gun will stop them. They're already planning to break the law, they're not going to stop and be like "Oh no owning a gun is illegal I guess I can't go kill someone/rob a bank/whatever."

Also 50+ people dying in Vegas and 27 people dying in Texas is nothing. I lack the empathy to really care about that. In the end it's nothing more than a statistic. So many people die every day and there are already so many people populating Earth that any number less than a hundred thousand only effects people personally. Kinda wish they'd killed more people, actually, the population of earth needs to decrease before we end up destroying it. I've had too many people die in my life to be affected by death at all. Just kind of done with all of this, yeah? Let people do whatever they want at this point.

I really don't know how to reply to this and you clearly have a different mindset and opinion so I'm not going to provide a counter argument, but i'd prefer if you didn't post something so cruel on these forums :(

AND nobody should reply against this post either, the world's bad enough without more fighting.

Last edited:

I am only going to respond to this part because.... wow.

I will never understand the "they're gonna do it anyways" argument. How on earth is that a reason to not take steps to prevent them from doing it in the first place? The reason shootings happen so often is because of how easy it is to get your hands on a gun. Making it harder to obtain one won't solve everything but it would drastically decrease the numbers, especially since I'm sure a lot of these people wouldn't know how to obtain one illegally.

"but if someone wants to use a gun to rob a bank or break into someone's house or kill multiple people"

Ah the ol' loop de loop of "guns aren't the problem- oh wait i mean they are the problem if a bad guy has one- but they aren't the problem- but-"

I totally agree with your standpoint on gun control. Sorry for the suggestions for putting mentally ill people into asylums. I was suggesting on doing it to shooters. But most of these people commit suicide after shooting anyway. But yes, we do need to improve therapy on mentally ill people.

sorry to say, gun control IS the only way to fix this, gun control & making sure people with mental illnesses have limited to no way to get guns without a proper check. too many people are getting hands on guns that don't have good intentions with them, bc no proper checks are made to see if they're in an okay state to handle them. that's it.

sorry to say, gun control IS the only way to fix this, gun control & making sure people with mental illnesses have limited to no way to get guns without a proper check. too many people are getting hands on guns that don't have good intentions with them, bc no proper checks are made to see if they're in an okay state to handle them. that's it.

I personally think people should focus less on mental illness and more on a history of abuse (domestic, animal, etc) as well as any criminal record at all. A lot of people who end up on the extreme end have a history of being a horrible human being in general. Make it part of the process that you need at least 10 friends and 10 family members to say "yeah he'd probably be trustworthy with a semi-automatic weapon".

I've been talking to my S/O about this- he has an entirely different opinion than I do on this, and my opinion has changed quite a bit. We're practically opposites when it comes to politics but he always seems to put some sense into me when I need it the most. My lack of ability to care about this stuff really hinders my ability to see the whole picture, but I try. I'm sorry if I offended anyone or hurt anyone's feelings with my opinion.

We also need to form a distinction between automatic weapons and guns like rifles. My significant other made the amazing analogy of:

"If there was a line of people being shot down by a guy with a rifle, it wouldn't take long for one of them to run up and take him out (without a gun) while he was reloading.

But if that same guy had an automatic weapon, the line of people wouldn't have time to run much less stop said person before he could shoot down the entire line."

So with 'gun control' I think we do need background checks, I think we do need more restrictions, but only automatic weapons should be hard or even impossible to obtain.

I guess my opinion also wasn't stated that clearly before. I'm not saying EVERY person who wants to rob a bank or shoot people has to have planned this beforehand, but I'm sure a lot of people do. Raising gun control would definitely help but it'd also prevent certain people from defending themselves.

Why are we still talking about gun control... This thread will turn out exactly like the previous Las Vegas Shooting.

What kind of human being even steps on their baby step-son's skull, and abuses their poor pit-bull puppy? Now that is immorale to a WHOLE different level

Why are we still talking about gun control... This thread will turn out exactly like the previous Las Vegas Shooting.

Because someone just shot and killed 27 (26? I keep seeing different numbers) people and people are proposing a solution to yet another mass shooting.

smth ive been wondering about, so many of these shooters are white, male, usually involved in domestic abuse (there was a shooter at my school last week, someone died, and it was all bc of a domestic dispute between the shooter and his wife so some unrelated innocent guy died), i wanna know what other links there are, like economic standing (below poverty line? middle class? super rich?), levels of education (dropouts, undergrad, graduate school?), etc.
but im far 2 lazy to search it up tbh nor do i know if this sort of information is available

- - - Post Merge - - -

I personally think people should focus less on mental illness and more on a history of abuse (domestic, animal, etc) as well as any criminal record at all. A lot of people who end up on the extreme end have a history of being a horrible human being in general. Make it part of the process that you need at least 10 friends and 10 family members to say "yeah he'd probably be trustworthy with a semi-automatic weapon".

yeah every time someone says "oh check on mental illnesses" i cringe a bit because the history of abuse thing is ALWAYS very telling and im not sure if theyre considering that as a mental illness when they bring that up?

me personally id be ok if there were no guns at all. but then i think abt people like my uncle, he owns guns and he lets his guests and some relatives shoot them at targets for fun and i just feel kinda bad that the ugly trash in the world has to ruin stuff for other people. i mean if itll stop the killings i think its just a small sacrifice to make but WATEVER it sucks. at any rate none of our guns are semi-automatic nor did we buy them with the intent to kill others in defense of our freedom or whatever tf theyre saying these days ?\_(ツ)_/? i think the "we own these to protect ourselves!!!" thing is BS like ok its fun to own fancy things guns included i get it

Last edited:
Unfortunately, gun control actually isn't going to work. It's been discussed several times.

What really needs to be done is using other preventive methods. If therapy is not enough, maybe we should put them into asylums?

wow i really had to read this with my own two eyes

this is a terrible thing to say, i dont understand why youre being so extreme. why do you hate people who are suffering from illnesses

- - - Post Merge - - -

I’ve been seeing more information about the shooting. What I learned is that he was trying to threaten his mother-in-law by going to the church she goes to. It’s not worth killing kids for ANYTHING! It’s not even worth killing people at all, especially over family conflict like what started the shooting.

There’s no denying that my suggestion is cruel. It’s true. But our society has gotten worse already. Criminals nowadays are more ridiculous and dangerous than they were 1,000 years ago. The reason why we’re not punishing people enough to where it will deter crime is because people are appealing to ethics more. I wouldn’t mind ditching ethics if it were to torture the most heinous criminals. Would you rather have them running free and endangering more peoples’ lives, or would you rather have them suffer while the innocent have nothing endangering them?

yikes you really have some messed up views on humans and their rights dont you

the criminal system is not only for punishing people. rehabilitation and guiding criminals back into society is important or else we will have an even worse crime problem with people who have been convicted not being able to get back into society. your suggestions are ****ed up and terrible and wouldnt solve anything. if you want to torture people for being terrible youre pretty terrible too my buddy

- - - Post Merge - - -

I totally agree with your standpoint on gun control. Sorry for the suggestions for putting mentally ill people into asylums. I was suggesting on doing it to shooters. But most of these people commit suicide after shooting anyway. But yes, we do need to improve therapy on mentally ill people.

mental health treatment needs to be better for the sake of mentally ill people. no one suffers more because of mental illness than the people living with one. mental illness in itself isnt dangerous and youre still being incredibly bigoted.

anyways men, gun owners and people fueled by hatred are the people who commit these kinds of crimes

Last edited:
Absolutely horrible. What drives a person to do such a terrible thing?

I feel like a lot of Americans have obscured views on guns and gun control which people outside of the US don't understand. At all. As someone studying politics even the most right wing people I know don't agree with US gun laws, so clearly there's a divide somewhere. The issue with the US constitution (or as some people would argue, a good thing) is the fact it can't be easily changed, the amendment process is insane. The only thing I can say is that those who don't agree with gun control need to look at other countries with gun control and then try to make the same argument of 'it's the person not the gun' because it's a lot harder to stab 26 people than it is to shoot them. It's the same with universal healthcare though, who wants that communist idea??!!(rip). The US centre of politics is a lot further right than most places, many people argue that the Democrats are the same as the UK Conservative party, which is on our political right. I guess because of the differences between the U.K. and US it would be difficult to debate with
someone on this issue so I'll leave it to the Americans to sort out:(

Back