Splat Easter Egg
Shooting Star
Tetris Grid
Kirby Easter Egg
Rainbow Feather
Chocolate Cake
Popsicle (TBT Beach Party)
Ice Cream Swirl (TBT Beach Party)
In general, I don't like speedruns. I think it's a little ridiculous people use bugs/glitches as legitimate ways to complete the game faster. I see people already attempting to speedrun Super Mario Odyssey which I guess is what prompted this topic for me. I have seen people do speedruns for charity though so I'm not entirely opposed to their uses. What do you guys think?

They're very entertaining to watch sometimes, honestly. Seeing how fast someone can complete a whole game is just such a neat challenge.

i think it's cool to see games be cracked open, watching speedrunners is a guilty pleasure of mine (rwhitegoose is a lad) but there are always going to be glitchless runs if you don't like runs with glitches to beat the game faster which is a category in every game that is ran i think. a lot of **** has happened though as there is a divided community of people who hate AGDQ (the main speedrunning event which raises hundreds and thousands of money) and people who stand with it, it's a lot to dive into. there are also many popular speedrunners who have gotten into controversy for different reasons. also it's seen as cringe stuff so i don't talk about it too much, even though i could talk about it for hours

- - - Post Merge - - -

TAS is really cool too, and could take years to make perfectly, but since it's a TAS it's in its own category.

Last edited:
Speedruns are pretty fun to watch. I've also used techniques that I've learned in speedruns on replays of games. These aren't glitches that I'm talking about, but just flat out better methods of getting through a boss and things like that.

I generally don't speedrun games myself though, unless I'm specifically trying to get a good ending of a game that requires minor speedrunning. I speedran Super Metroid last week to get the best ending. That requires less than 3 hours on the in-game clock to get. I beat it in 2 1/2 hours. Sure, that's nowhere near the world record, but that's still beating the game super fast and required knowing the map and good routing to get it.

Certain games that I love become stale after a while and speed running brings an entire new element to them. While I'm not one to glitch I'm very competitive and enjoy challenges so it's a nice change

Eh, I don't mind them I guess. I hardly watch those and let alone most video games videos/Let's play things in general, so...

I like to wander everywhere in games and usually end up avoiding the right path until I have explored the rest of an area so I would be horrible at speed runs. lol It is kind of fun to try to take the world record in a Mario Maker course though. It is like a puzzle to see what parts of a level are most important and what parts you can just run through.

Pretty cool thing to do with games, not something I'd ever be interested in doing.

I prefer to take my sweet time with my games. I'm not against adding some more challenges to the games though, such as minimum percentage or sequence breaking. If going fast is your thing, then go for it I say.

I think speedruns can be entertaining to watch. It's really neat to see someone who knows the game inside and out play it with such skill. I have no real interest in ever trying a speedrun myself though. To get good at speedrunning, you need to practice the game a lot, and I don't have the patience for that (or the time - I have too many games I haven't played once yet to spend the time playing the same game over and over!).

Honestly, I?m on the fence for this one because I think that speed runs for games are pretty good and there?s nothing bad about them, but I?m thinking that sometimes they could spoil things for viewers, but then again, you should know that speed runs for games obviously contain spoilers. I?m actually leaning to the side and thinking that they?re pretty good because I mean it?s basically just having an overview of a game. And it?s just going through it without taking too much time and there is nothing bad about it in terms of spoilers. But sometimes in the game, I think that they could miss some vital things which is a bad thing, but that?s up to you whether you want spoilers or not about the game whether you have played it or not. But it?s a whole new topic if people use glitches and hacks to get through it quickly, because you can obviously tell that they are impatient. The idea of having people glitch an early game, Super Mario Odyssey, is just a bad thought because you shouldn?t be doing that since the game was actually made to play, and not to skim through. At the same time, as somebody mentioned in the thread, it is quite interesting and entertaining to see somebody playing and zooming through the game because it is quite a challenge. But overall I think that you shouldn?t use glitches and hacks because that?s going a little too overboard.

I used to hate them and used to say it needs to be 100% to be a speed run. I don't know, I was annoying then lol. I think they're fun to watch, see someone use tricks that myself can pick up. I'd never attempt one myself just because it's not my style.

i would never want to play games that way (even if i didn't do it as extremely as some people do) because i like to take my time on things even if i'm replaying the game. it's a bit fun to watch speedrunners though, i watched some guy play wind waker really quickly (still took 4 or 5 hours though) and it was impressive but seemed like a lot of work and like it wasnt a very funny thing to do

I like to watch a speedrun once in a while just for something to do, but I'm not super into the concept (don't care particularly much) and would never do one myself. Basically if someone's speedrunning a game I'm a fan of, or if there's something otherwise interesting and unique about the run then I'll give it a watch if I'm not currently doing something else.

I am legit impressed by the raw skill many speedrunners exhibit. I don't really mind glitched speedruns but tbh I think a glitchless speedrun is much more indicative of a player's talent than being able to break a game to get the fastest time. I sometimes watch a Twitch speedrunner but tbh I don't do it often and would never try an actual speedrun myself. I've had fun discovering speedrunning techniques in games myself and maybe speedrunning a couple levels in a given game, but I know I would not have the patience to do a whole game that way. :p

Back