Games that disappointed you

Disney Magical World for the 3DS was kind of disappointing. Maybe I'm being unfair since I'm definitely not the target audience age wise, but still. I just feel like with a theme like Disney there is so much to work with that what we got was underwhelming. Granted it was made on the 3DS so there were limitations but other games like Fantasy Life had cute worlds that were pretty big to explore.

I think the premise behind Disney Magical World is super cute I just wish the different worlds we got were more... worldy. I really enjoyed how they did the Winnie the Pooh & Pirates of the Caribbean sections. Neither were super big but at least it felt like I had a bit of wiggle room to explore. With every other world it was this pretty small area and then ... dungeons. That weren't really Disney themed with their battles/enemies, which was a little disappointing. I would've liked to see different character customization options as well and I found the frame rate to not be super great on my 3DS, even when playing on the New 3DS.

I would love to see a 3rd game for the Switch, even if that's unlikely. It would be nice to see the game with improved graphics and larger worlds, because I think the concept is so adorable. 🥺💕

Lately I've been trying to play Dirt 5 on Xbox Gamepass. It's a great game when it works...but it keeps crashing. And I don't just mean a crash back to the Xbox menu, I mean...it keeps turning off my Xbox entirely, which makes me nervous. So much so, that I've basically stopped trying to play it. I can't afford (or find) a Series X yet...so I'm not too keen on Dirt 5 killing my Xbox One before I can get a replacement. Very disappointed that the game doesn't just work...because I enjoy it quite a bit. But, it's a persisting issue. I tried at least three times and had the same thing happen.

Trine 4 was a huge disappointment to me. I actually returned the game.
I never played the Trine games, but what got my attention was Trine 4 was largely about multiplayer. Like it was the first multiplayer and was advertised about multiplayer. You can play it single and not miss out on anything too if you wanted.
Well... that part of the game was Majorly broken. I actually wrote a review of the game on social media (something I usually don't do) because I was so disappointed and didn't want others to be as well if they were only getting it for multiplayer. It really looked like a fun game to play especially with your friends. Anywho I guess the company or creators of the game messaged me and apologized and they have a patch for it coming out... mind you, this was like two days after the game was released. I was not impressed. You can't tell me you started making the patch after release of the game. They had to have known it was a large issue before hand.

Sword and Shield was a disappointment in the wild area multiplayer. But the game itself wasn't a disappointment.

Old Game Alert
I was really disappointed in Pokemon Diamond as well as Pokemon X.

I really enjoyed Zelda Ocarina of Time Remake (I didn't get to play the orginal) that I decided to get Zelda Majora's Mask Remake. I heard all kinds of great things about that game too. Well, I didn't care for it and was actually kinda sad about it. It wasn't a bad game, but not my cup of tea. I am still open to Zelda games, but going to be more cautious.

That is all I can really think of right now. I usually have good experiences with games, because I take my time on making sure it is something I would vibe with before buying.

Mario Kart 7 was a bit disappointing due to its lack of Single Player vs mode or mission mode, especially considering the fact that it was on a handheld system that wasn't always going to have access to an internet connection, but in the end I was still able to enjoy the game. Majora's Mask 3D was on an entirely different level of disappointment for me though. Majora's Mask (the original) is my favorite game of all time (and not because of nostalgia, seeing as I still regularly do full runs of the game to this day), but with the way the game was butchered in the remake (in my opinion anyway), MM3D oddly sits as my least favorite game of all time.

The game that I was let down by was sonic forces due to its lack of originality, story, and content. The game feels like it lacks a lot of levels or length when playing them. Also the controls are very bad.

Final Fantasy XIII-2, Tales of Zestiria (that was my first and only tales game), Fate Extella, and maybe Pokemon X and Y and Black and White. The Pokemon ones I couldn’t get into that much.

I liked FFXIII’s story but felt like the story of XIII-2 didn’t flow well with the ending of XIII. The time travel thing had potential but, I was disappointed with mostly the story. Also, I did not like Noel; I felt he was pretty boring.

Can’t exactly remember what bothered me anout Tales of Zestiria. I know I was disappointed, but not sure why. I did like Dezel (first time I heard Daisuke Ono and now I am a huge fan ☺️; one good thing that came from the game) and Edna but everyone else :/.

Yoshi's Crafted World, probably. I've accepted that Yoshi games will probably never again be as good as Yoshi's Island on the Super Nintendo, and while this game is a huge improvement over previous titles in the series, I still think it's a bit by the numbers and feels slightly underdeveloped in areas. Not a bad game by any means, but definitely one whose pure aesthetic made me wish it could have been at least a little bit less underwhelming.

Splatoon 2 to be honest. I got really good at it but playing with randoms are just not fun with them making dumb plays, and the modes have gotten a bit repetitive. An occasional Rainmaker game is still fun though.

X/Y and US/UM. They just felt like rushed Pokemon games and I couldn't get into them at all. I played through X/Y til the end but I bailed with US/UM after the second trial.

When I was young, Animal Crossing Wild World disappointed me. I had played the Gamecube version and was so excited for a sequel. Back then I was again, young, and it was hard to find a ton of stuff about it online, so I went into ACWW completely blind. Right away my little mind was turned off by the graphics and then at the time, I didn't like the rolling log type world. Finally as I played, I realized it was very very similar to the Gamecube one, but in my opinion, worse. I put it down and never touched it again. Had I not been a young boy at the time I think I would've appreciated it a lot more, but little me gave it a big thumbs down.

Aside from the obvious Pokemon sw/sh, I recently got AER: memories of old and My time at portia from the estore. Both were highly rated online but I personally didn't like either of them. AER had cool gameplay but too much dialogue for me to the point that it was overwhelming and I couldn't keep the story straight, but most importantly the story/ending was extremely lack luster and disappointing. As for My time at portia, I thought it was going to be really good since people who play AC like this game, but I wasn't very impressed. Again the gameplay was really cool (loved how you could craft, fight, and socialize) but I found the characters to be really bland. I felt like they literally had only one line of dialogue because they would say the exact same thing every time I talked to them, which made it hard to connect to the game and keep playing long term.

Although I do a better job of tempering my expectations these days to avoid disappointment, there's three games that come to mind that were disappointments to me:

Yooka-Laylee: It's a shame since I was so excited for this game due to it being a spiritual successor to the Banjo-Kazooie series. I had backed the Kickstarter for it, I had played the Toybox demo of it in 2016 and got more excited for it, but then my hype for it poofed after it came out but my copy of the game got "lost" by Canada Post, leaving me unable to play it right away (it got delivered 2 months later, but not before Playtonic sent me a replacement copy). When I finally got to play it, it just fell flat and didn't have quite the same level of charm that Banjo-Kazooie and Banjo-Tooie had. Still, given how I enjoyed Yooka-Laylee and the Impossible Lair a lot when that came out, I wouldn't mind a proper sequel to it if Playtonic ever decided to do one, since I feel like they'd do a better job with a potential sequel.

Banjo-Kazooie: Nuts & Bolts: Banjo-Tooie was my first ever game and I loved it so much, and still love it to this day. I really wanted Banjo-Threeie to exist, and after the initial annoucement trailer that a Banjo-Kazooie game was coming to the Xbox 360, I ended up getting a 360 in anticipation of it. Then Nuts & Bolts came out and it ended up being nothing like Banjo-Kazooie and Banjo-Tooie and I was heartbroken. It felt like a completely different franchise with Banjo-Kazooie slapped on it to make it sell. I played it, shelved it, forced myself to play and beat it years later and then never touched it again. It's sad that this game killed the series, since the bear and bird duo still deserve tons of love. At least they got into Super Smash Bros. Ultimate years later.

Legend of Zelda: Majora's Mask 3D: I love Majora's Mask. It's my favorite game of all time. After they released Ocarina of Time 3D (which I enjoyed more than the original OoT and I thought did well to leave the core of OoT alone while improving the graphics and controls), I really wanted Nintendo to do a Majora's Mask 3D remake, and I was so excited when it was announced then released. Unfortunately, it was just a huge disappointment. Ultimately, the saying "if it ain't broke, don't fix it" really, really should've been followed here, since a lot of the changes they made were awful (off the top of my head, original Zora swimming not being the default and being locked behind magic, all the bosses being re-designed, the new Bomber's Notebook being way too intrusive and handholdy, the pressure and atmosphere created by the time mechanic being nerfed by all the save points) and took away from what I loved about the original game. I 100%ed the game and then never touched it again while I've continued playing the original Majora's Mask a bunch since then.

• Love
Reactions: Bui
Paper Mario Sticker Star.

Like I don’t know why they change the mechanics from TTYD. Adding new ones would be cool maybe, but they started to change things so much it just doesn’t have the same charm. Even the story seemed kinda dull in comparison.

Paper Mario Sticker Star disappointed me. It doesn’t feel the same as TTYD or the original Paper Mario, which was my favorite.

Any (exclusive) Nintendo Switch title except Breath of the Wild, Splatoon 2 (specifically, Salmon Run), Mario+Rabbids, and probably ACNH. Nintendo interests me because of their innovation and exciting gameplay, but right now, all I see are rehash after rehash after rehash (of their previous games). Same old gameplay. I don't judge them based on graphics, presentation, and those technical stuff. Obviously, they're nothing special but I really don't mind. I just expect that, at least, they'd make up for it on the gameplay department. Like yeah, give me something new. Right now, I'm not impressed. No offense. I mean, obviously it's just my opinion.

sekiro

it's not a bad game @ all, in fact it's great, problem is i never played any of the dark souls games which are readily famous for being difficult. mini bosses were too difficult for me to figure out in sekiro & the penalty for dying over and over again gave me tons of anxiety. i just don't think it was my type of game, and it sits with the rest of my old xbox 360 games that aren't played anymore

The Danganronpa and Persona games to be honest (Shin Megami Tensei >>>> Persona).

Paper Mario Sticker Star was the first game to really disappoint me. I was expecting another charming RPG with memorable characters and fun locations. Instead it was a soulless game where battles were literally a waste of time. NPCs had little to differentiate them from each other. Gone are the days of quirky characters and fun allies. All that’s left were toads and generic Mario enemies. At least the music was decent.

Shin Megami Tensei 3 Nocture “Remastered”. The game is clunky and dated. Dungeons are confusing mazes and the random encounter rate was too high. All the “remaster” added was 1080p output, a lower difficulty, and muffled music. None of the game’s actual issues were fixed. It’s a shame since I really like SMT 4 and 5.

I know someone already said Danganronpa V3 but I didnt like it very much. the game felt pretty padded, cuz it was so slow and long. especially with the trails. the plot was okay until the ending, I hate the concept of it. it's so dumb. uggggggghhhh.
at least some of the characters were cool and the music was good.

BD/SP. I don't really get the "lol pure remake gimme" approach and leaving out wonder/surprise trade and GTS for it, those things are like half the game for me and it feels like NH release, paying full price for a rushed game. Also the graphics are rather annoying caue you can't really move around smooth. Big sad cause I really loved the games for DS and I was looking forward to get properly wt/gts-ing on this one :(

Back