• The closing ceremony for TBT's Farewell to New Leaf event has been posted! View the winning entries and other closing announcements here. Thanks for joining in on the fun and nostalgia. We'll see you this Friday night for the start of our annual Easter Egg Hunt!

Games that disappointed you

Sweetley

- Gone -
Bells
MEOW Coupons
StreetPass Silver
Probably some of you had this situation before: You bought a game that looked promising
and fun, however, while you played it, you realized that it isn't that great at all and not as
you imagined. Maybe even so bad that you regret having bought it.

Was there ever a game that disappointed you? What didn't you like about it? Did you ever had
a game which was so bad that you regret having bought it?

For me, it's Pokemon Sun. Now don't get me wrong, it's not like that I hated that game completely,
but to be honest, compared to other Pokemon games, Sun wasn't really entertaining for me and I
was kinda bored of it afterwards. I would say that I was kinda disappointed about it, however, I
wouldn't say that I regret having bought it. Let's say once played through is enough for me.
Maybe USUM would be more interesting for me.

Usum will be your saviour.
For me its hometown story. It was just.....

Plain. Like plain noodles

For me it was Pikmin 3. It looked SO good, but when I got it, the bosses, and even enmies were too hard for me.

The Undertale hype was real so I caved in, played for a couple of hours to give it a chance and was disappointed. I saw so many people claiming that certain bosses were hard but I felt like I sped through. I'm always one to play games on the easiest mode but I felt it was too easy for me, although clearly this isn't a popular opinion amongst its fans:(

Final Fantasy XIII on PS3. I was really looking forward to it, bought it day one, but thought it was an utterly joyless, repetitive, dull excuse of a game.

It was as if the developers decided to remove all the fun elements of a Final Fantasy game. Awful. People try to defend it, but it's just plain bad.

Pok?mon Sun/Moon as well, for too many reasons.

Also Monster Hunter games, at least the 3ds ones I tried (3U, 4U). I really don't get the appeal with a crapton of tutorials and too much cluttery layout and weird camera angles for the controllers. I'm lowkey curious of Stories, but idk.

Ever Oasis. It looked so great but had so many flaws and gameplay was not rewarding. Did enjoy it for a while because I was waiting for payoff, but it never came, unfortunately. Switching characters every 30 seconds in dungeons ruined the flow, costume designs were soulless and had maybe 2 or 3 basic designs and then the only variation was colour, character customization was incredibly limited, and the town building aspect was monotonous and pointless after a while since you become rich fast and have nothing to spend it on.

Last of Us. I'm in the minority here, but the introductory gameplay was great whereas the rest of the game was boring (imo) because gameplay was not unique or varied enough to be interesting. It's a point-A-to-B kind of game. I wish it was more like the introduction throughout.

Mass Effect Andromeda... my love for the original trilogy led me to blindly preorder it (stupid, I know). It’s just so incredibly sad that they destroyed the entire series with a single, horrendous game. And no, I do not consider the animation the worst part like most people do (although it IS pretty bad - they somehow managed to make it look even worse than the first title in the series) - it’s the story and terrible characters that completely break the game.

i would say danganronpa v3 ,, the previous games had great characters , plot development and it was just good ?? when i first played v3 they forced a plot twist within the first 2 hours of the game ... plus after the first trial everything went downhill fast and i wanted to throw the game out ?? worst of all the ending is so rushed and terrible with some easy cliche ( at least the characters were okay ) --

Last edited:
Story of Seasons. It honestly looked like such a great game but it's sooooo slow. I really want to continue it but every time I pop it into my 3DS I get bored almost immediately.

For me its Fallout 4, it's a good shooter, but it's an embarrassment of a fallout game. The settlement building on it killed it for me. Just becuase of how much of the game is catered around it. Not to mention it barley functions and is very broken. I hope they get obsidian back to make the next fallout though, high hopes :)

I'll agree on Sun & Moon. Gen 6 lowered my enjoyment of Pokemon games, but Gen 7 was what killed it completely. I'm definitely skipping out on USUM, and Gen 8 would have to do something big to make me go back to the series, but I'm not holding any hopes.
Final Fantasy XIII on PS3. I was really looking forward to it, bought it day one, but thought it was an utterly joyless, repetitive, dull excuse of a game.

It was as if the developers decided to remove all the fun elements of a Final Fantasy game. Awful. People try to defend it, but it's just plain bad.
I enjoyed 13 when I first played it years ago, but going back to it is impossible. Not really sure what I enjoyed about it the first time, but at least I got some enjoyment out of it I guess.
i would say danganronpa v3 ,, the previous games had great characters , plot development and it was just good ?? when i first played v3 they forced a plot twist within the first 2 hours of the game ... plus after the first trial everything went downhill fast and i wanted to throw the game out ?? worst of all the ending is so rushed and terrible with some easy cliche ( at least the characters were okay ) --
Oh boy I'm gonna get a lot of TBT for this lol
Well if it's about Kaede being the first killer, that's much further in than 2 hours since V3 drags out everything out so much (I'd be surprised if you even get to the fist Deadly Life in 2 hours). But I can't think of another plot twist so I'm gonna assume that's what you're talking about.
It didn't feel forced at all and I don't think ANYONE could really see it coming. Of course some won't like the twist and some will, but in no way was it forced.

I can agree that after chapter 1 the game started to slowly drop in quality, but chapter 5 ABSOLUTELY picked the game back up.

And the ending... it was a neat idea that was horribly executed. The main problem was with how incredibly vague everything was, since the ending was essentially "your lives are all a complete lie, oh but that's a lie too lol." All you get from the ending is that 13 people died (their names may be a lie too for all we know), and "Shuichi," "Maki," and "Himiko" didn't die. With how vague everything is, it makes understanding what the true intent behind the ending almost impossible to tell. The ending isn't meant to be a 4th wall break, but when the game is barely giving you anything save for Tsumugi-cosplaying-as-Ibuki's 1 remark about those "beyond the 4th wall," of course the player is going to make that conclusion. It doesn't help that the characters you're trying to protect turn around and talk about how awful the audience watching them is right after that. This is Danganronpa which is supposed to make you feel like a terrible emotional wreck, and after all of the tragedies in V3 the player is going to be a mess. So now you have a scenario in which the player feels personally attacked by the game's characters while in an emotionally-vulnerable state. Of course most players are going to hate the ending. I'm extremely guilty of this myself as well, oh boy I was texting some angry messages to a friend while going through chapter 6 the first time.
However after going back through the ending a few weeks later without being clouded by emotions and knowing that the ending isn't a 4th wall break insulting the player, I can... appreciate what they were trying to go for with the ending. I'm not sure if I'd call it good or bad (again, the ending gives you basically NO info on what even happened), we just need more closure.

Ever Oasis. It looked so great but had so many flaws and gameplay was not rewarding..

Same here.

I played for 15 minutes, and it was the longest 15 minutes of my life..

I recommend this game to people who want to die, as it will bore you to death.

Last edited:
i'd give samus returns a 6.5 i wish it was better

Yeah, it's not a bad game but I feel that Mercury Steam doesn't completely get Metroid. And the fact that any dev team would have been held back by the linear and repetitive design of the original Metroid II doesn't help either.

I enjoyed it while it lasted. Completed it once but haven't touched it since.

Yoshi's New Island for 3ds. I liked it a first but when the annoyance curve like went haywire too early in and you could hardly finish some stages it went annoying. I loved the Snes(later gba port etc.) version very much but this.. noooo

I forget the title, but it was a game based on Avatar, the Last Airbender. The first one I got was really cool, because you could play as the four main characters and a second player could join you to complete the story in co-op mode. Then I got one of the sequels and it was okay, but it was really short. The first game was longer and more interesting. It was disappointing because I think I beat it in a week or less. I kind of want to try the game for Legend of Korra, but I am worried it will be short like the other game.

Forgot to mention another game, which I also disappointed me a lot.

Pokemon Mystery Dungeon: Gates to Infinity. I remember I was really excited when they finally
announced a Mystery Dungeon game for the 3DS back then. I got the game on release day and
of course I started to play it immediately. After a few hours, I made my first conclusion and to
be honest, I was not so much excited. I mean, I love the MD series and I was happy to play as
Snivy, which is one of my favorite Pokemon. However, there are so many things that bothers me
on this game. Some of the new features also kinda sucks. And compared to the older MD games,
the story here is not so fascinating. I mean, it's not that bad, but at many points kinda lame. I
was disappointed overall and I have to say, it's my least favorite game of the MD series. I wish
it had more to offer, but oh well... Luckily, Pokemon Super Mystery Dungeon was better.

more stuff that disappointed me:
pokemon sun and moon, so many dumb mistakes (pss no longer existing, dex nav gone too) never want to go back to it, the pokemon for the most part were lame but characters were fine (i want to kill hau however) but it was a lot harder than xy so that's a plus and i'll still buy ultra sun and moon because i've never missed a pokemon game lmao
the new pokemon mystery dungeon games
kid icarus uprising was way too short, multiplayer sucked too but it's good, i just expected better

Back