Red Candy
Red Candy
Winter Mittens
Lucky
Holiday Candy Cane 2017
Timmy Christmas Doll
New Leaf Token
Isabelle
I won't delve into too much detail, but on Fridays I get the bus into town and back home again in the morning and evening. The same fares collector is on the bus both ways. In the mornings she collects my almighty ?1.50 a few minutes after I get on, but on the evening journey she doesn't seem to bother. Not sure if she's too busy on her phone to notice me or just can't be bothered climbing to the upper deck. Either way, it results in a free ride for myself.

Now, is it wrong for me to just sit there, unnoticed as someone who has yet to pay up, or should I emphatically shout "take my money!"? I think we can all agree that taking up a seat and not paying (unless you're elderly or have a mental condition, but let's not get into that debate) isn't the right thing to do, but when the fares collector isn't doing their job properly...? I've noticed other people not get asked for money, a ticket or what have you, so it's not as if I sometimes turn into a ghost. WooOOoo!

So... yeah. Am I a filthy criminal who deserves to be prosecuted to the fullest extent of the law or am I just an innocent traveller? As a sidenote, these fare collectors seem to have to work very long shifts so I wouldn't really accuse any of them for wanting to go home and have a good snooze. Apparently they get drug tests too? For the drivers I guess it makes sense, even though you're not exactly going to crash from having a few puffs of everyone's favourite plant the night before, but for fare collectors? Come on now.

tl;dr: Sometimes I don't get asked to pay on the bus.

Is the fare waived Friday nights or just nights in general? The city bus where I live waives fees for all college students (they don't even bother to check your ID if you're on campus when you board), so possibly something similar is going on in your case.

If they don't ask, it's not your fault.

Once myself, a traveling buddy, and a whole bunch of other people got onto a train and were never asked to pay for tickets, nor was there a machine anywhere to buy them either. We got a ride back from Newark to NYC for free essentially. All of us. We were confused but no one complained.

That is a gift. I have had that scenario happen to me a few times before and I just took it as 'sweet, tonight I get a free ride.'

That is odd, but I don't think it's at your fault. I once caught a connecting bus and the lady told us we didn't have to pay because we'd hopped from another bus, I thought it was odd because it was a different bus but I guess they do that since the later bus goes the full distance and you only have to pay one fare then, so it was nice. But here you pay as you get on the bus or scan your card if you've got a pass card, so I guess it's different. They wont really let you on without paying so yeah.

Be glad you don't have to pay, here they'd throw you off. Or if they have people out monitoring who paid and you can't show them a valid card/ticket you get like $120 fee, so yeah.

where do you live where they dont have bus cards that you blip when you go onto the bus lol, that system seems extremely inefficient and stupid.......

idk what the rules are and i guess you could get a fine for not paying but i wouldnt say that it's immoral to not pay when the person who's supposed to take the payment isnt doing their job

where do you live where they dont have bus cards that you blip when you go onto the bus lol, that system seems extremely inefficient and stupid.......

The place Donald Trump likes for some reason. Scotland. Probably the same elsewhere in the UK except from perhaps London. You can get stuff like four-week tickets, either bought in their little office or posted to you, but they work out more expensive unless you travel every weekday and are limited to specific areas.

I wouldn't say it's your fault - I've gotten free rides before when they're not paying attention, or sometimes they'll let me on before I can show my card. It's their job, but if it's eating at you, make it your responsibility to pay.

I guess sometimes it depends on the driver.

We can either have a bus card or pay with cash and if the card machine thing isn't working they don't make you pay with cash (in my experiences) and I've also noticed with one driver if you try to pay for a ticket with a note higher than $10 they also let you get on for free

I won't delve into too much detail, but on Fridays I get the bus into town and back home again in the morning and evening. The same fares collector is on the bus both ways. In the mornings she collects my almighty ?1.50 a few minutes after I get on, but on the evening journey she doesn't seem to bother. Not sure if she's too busy on her phone to notice me or just can't be bothered climbing to the upper deck. Either way, it results in a free ride for myself.

Now, is it wrong for me to just sit there, unnoticed as someone who has yet to pay up, or should I emphatically shout "take my money!"? I think we can all agree that taking up a seat and not paying (unless you're elderly or have a mental condition, but let's not get into that debate) isn't the right thing to do, but when the fares collector isn't doing their job properly...? I've noticed other people not get asked for money, a ticket or what have you, so it's not as if I sometimes turn into a ghost. WooOOoo!

So... yeah. Am I a filthy criminal who deserves to be prosecuted to the fullest extent of the law or am I just an innocent traveller? As a sidenote, these fare collectors seem to have to work very long shifts so I wouldn't really accuse any of them for wanting to go home and have a good snooze. Apparently they get drug tests too? For the drivers I guess it makes sense, even though you're not exactly going to crash from having a few puffs of everyone's favourite plant the night before, but for fare collectors? Come on now.

Can we talk about how your bus driver is on HER PHONE.

What the hell.

I always pay my bus fare.

- - - Post Merge - - -

Can we talk about how your bus driver is on HER PHONE.

What the hell.

I always pay my bus fare.

that's interesting. i guess it's not your fault tho if they never ask. nothing wrong with saving a little bit of money if you don't have to pay

Back