• Happy Earth Week! TBT is hosting a series of nature-based mini-events through April 28th. Breed flower hybrids by organizing your collectible lineup, enter our nature photography contest, purchase historically dated scenery collectibles, and earn bells around the site! Read more in the Earth Week and photography contest threads.

what foreign language do you take? what do you wish you could take?

earthquake

maybe fate had us meet
Bells
Mother's Day Carnation
Tasty Cake
Pumpkin Cupcake
August Birthstone (Peridot)
Cherry (Fruit)
Cake
most of us are in high school or above, and what's more high school than three required years of foreign language?

what languages have you guys taken? any you wish you could take?
anyone speak a language at home other than english?

i took spanish and french, spanish for one year, french for 2. i took japanese for four years before having to drop it to make space in my schedule for ap computer science :(

does latin count (cough cough dead - kinda like caecilius - language cough cough)????

that being said, i wish i could continue japanese and pick up spanish again! learning italian would be pretty cool...

I've been learning canadian french at school since 4th grade, but I still suck...

I speak English at home, I think it's the only language I'll ever be able to speak

(also where I'm at you only need to take french for one year in high school)

i took german and im so glad i never ever have to study german again. i took it for 5 years and i died

in high school i took french. in the start of college i took japanese. i cannot speak more than a few words in either. i want to learn french again along with finnish, swedish, german, icelandic. but i am bad at languages so it won't happen.

I took Spanish which is ****, but at least it's easier and more useful than French lmfao... I would have enjoyed taking an Asian language tbh

- - - Post Merge - - -

most of us are in high school or above, and what's more high school than three required years of foreign language?

I swear NA high school is 5 years not 3 tho

I took Spanish which is ****

Agreed lmfao (no offense to those who like it)

I took Spanish I and Spanish II in highschool and I really didn't get anything out of it. I know a few words here and there and I better understand the grammar but I can't write or speak it.

I'd love to take some asian language or Gaelic, German, Russian, or maybe French though.

4 years of French for me (only 2 years were required though, not 3). The first 2 years were fine and I enjoyed them, but after that was IB French and those 2 years felt really pointless. When am I ever going to talk about the parity in government jobs in French, let alone in English (hint: it's never).
I felt like my French was pretty bad but when I went to France this summer I was able to fit in well enough, as long as I prepared what I was going to say beforehand.
My HS only had Spanish, French, and Japanese as the languages you could choose and I'm fine I chose French. I'm not sure what I'd pick if I chose a third language to learn though.

Last edited:
i took german and french in school and practised online. i had great potential to speak both fluently but i ended up dropping them because of a few reasons

I currently study German. I did seven years of French and Spanish in school.

Other that greatly improving my German, I'd like to learn Russian and Serbian.

I took English and Swedish. Both of them were mandatory. I also studied French and Russian for a while but the courses ended because there wasn't enough demand.

Latin for 3 years in high school, Spanish for 2 in college. I hate both & wish I had taken German.

I've never had a foreign language class in school, but I used Dueling a lot and know a bit of Spanish and French. I also know a bit of my mother's language.

I've taken Spanish a few times and always failed.
I want to learn a lot of languages but I am so bad at learning them. I self-taught myself some Japanese when I was a late teenager and did okay because I was able to use it often and knew some people who were bilingual in ENG/JPN so it helped. But I lost a lot of it when I wasn't interested in Japanese culture/music anymore.
I mostly pick up on things here and there but I don't intend to really focus on any languages because I don't see myself having a use for them, so I'll likely lose anything I try to learn anyway.
I know a bit of Korean here and there from watching dramas and reading lyric translations, but it was natural and not intended.
I just suck at learning it.

I've taken Spanish a few times and always failed.
I want to learn a lot of languages but I am so bad at learning them. I self-taught myself some Japanese when I was a late teenager and did okay because I was able to use it often and knew some people who were bilingual in ENG/JPN so it helped. But I lost a lot of it when I wasn't interested in Japanese culture/music anymore.
I mostly pick up on things here and there but I don't intend to really focus on any languages because I don't see myself having a use for them, so I'll likely lose anything I try to learn anyway.
I know a bit of Korean here and there from watching dramas and reading lyric translations, but it was natural and not intended.
I just suck at learning it.

when you say failed do you mean you got an f in the class or that you just sucked at it because it seems really sad to take a class several times and fail every time ;_;

Right now I take Portuguese (finally), but for two years before that we had no option and the school forced us to take Spanish.
I wish I could take Latin, Greek, Hebrew, Sanskrit, Hawaiian, Samoan, Maori and more. I still want to learn Portuguese though.
I speak English at home, I use like 2 Portuguese words. When I was little I spoke a mix between Portuguese and English from my mom and dad speaking to me in English (they used some Portuguese words)and my grandma and grandpa speaking to me in Portuguese. When I first went to school I didn't know some English words.
We all know though that what you learn in a language class won't help you at all if you went to the country where it's spoken. Teachers have told my class before that we shouldn't use slang because a person who doesn't speak English well might not understand us, but they should know that we're not gonna stop and people learning English should be taught slang. They say stuff like gonna and wanna is a mistake. If that's the case why isn't "isn't" a mistake, since it's just like wanna and gonna, it's two words combined. How is a language supposed to evolve if we had to say everything correctly, if it wasn't for saying things "incorrectly" then English wouldn't even exist.

I take French at school because we all have to but I wish I could learn something more interesting like Japanese or Korean or maybe even Latin even though it's dead lol

Last edited:
I am in middle school, not in highschool, but in foreign languages I am currently doing Spanish, Norwegian, Dutch, and IPA. After I finish those, I'm probably going to do Northern Sami, Cantonese Chinese, Japanese, Korean, Bosnian, Swahili, Farsi, Tagalog, and Maltese.

Back