• The closing ceremony for TBT's Farewell to New Leaf event has been posted! View the winning entries and other closing announcements here. Thanks for joining in on the fun and nostalgia. We'll see you this Friday night for the start of our annual Easter Egg Hunt!

I"m actually yelling and cursing at this game right now, because diving.....

HappyTails

On Indefinite Hiatus
Orange 🍊
Coconut 🥥
Bells
MEOW Coupons
StreetPass Silver
As you guys may know, November marks the first month that crabs show up in town. Yeah, we have all winter to catch them, and there is really no rush but I like to catch the bugs and fish as soon as possible so I won't have to worry about them anymore but the diving though.

My vocab was as follows

"Swim Raven, damn!!!"
"Come on stupid, swim!!!"

And an colorful assortment of words that would make a sailor blush.

The diving feature in this game is seriously broken. Why is the character so slow?!

Also, I think I'm taking this game a wee bit too seriously

Last edited:
I agree with you. I've never completed the diving catalog and I doubt I ever will.

My button-mashing skills suck and then when I do catch up to the stupid things, they either disappear or they swim underneath the barrier... I think I'll just stick to fishing.

Yeah, that button mashing I swear to god. I only have horseshoe crab left, can't do that til July though I think and I guess all the diving gives me badges but some swimming patterns, can't be underwater for long, and that darn rope drive me nuts.

i've always been weirdly good at spamming that little 'a' button and choosing the right angle to go from-

a homage to my habbo spam-clicking days, i guess

I hate diving. Somehow I managed to complete to the encyclopedia, but it was painful. I don't know how I'll get the badge if I ever decide to.

Yeah, diving isn't really my favorite feature in the game to be honest. It was fun at the beginning,
however, after a while it was getting more and more frustrating, especially because your character
is so slow and if you try to catch some of these sea creatures, which are much faster then you, it
seems to be almost impossible. There are also some sea creatures I never catch before, like the
spiny lobster for example. That's why I never completed the sea creatures encyclopedia yet, and
I don't know if I will ever make it.

Yeah man I hate button mashing, I'm way too slow for thta (hence my fails in Mario Party games lolol) but yeah hopefully I can get the last creature :D

I agree, its painful & frustrating.
The only thing I find helps is to try & get south of the shadow - which forces it away from the barrier if its close to it, & sometimes slows it up if its close to the shore.

When the game first came out there was a little youtube video showing the effect of using the snorkel on your character - none at all it didn't help!

I rarely dive and swim because it's so slow and sluggish to control your character. The sea creatures are so tricky to catch, and they always go just past the border so I can see them but can't catch them.

Yeah, diving isn't very fun for me. It takes so tediously long to try to catch a fast shadow. I'll admit the wetsuits are pretty cute but I unfortunately don't use them very often since I rarely go diving anyway.

The only one I still need is the spider crab and then my diving encyclopedia will be done! There's sort of a rhythm you have to get so you'll swim as fast as possible. It's a pain in the butt though.

Back