• The closing ceremony for TBT's Farewell to New Leaf event has been posted! View the winning entries and other closing announcements here. Thanks for joining in on the fun and nostalgia. We'll see you this Friday night for the start of our annual Easter Egg Hunt!

Monster Hunter Series?

Nightstar

Bells
MEOW Coupons
StreetPass Silver
May Birthstone (Emerald)
Ruby
New Leaf Token
Isabelle
Green Candy
I've gotten curious about the Monster Hunter series but I've never played any of it and don't know where to start. Monster Hunter Stories looks really cute, but is that a good jumping off point? And does that game's cuteness reflect the series as a whole?

I've only played 4U, but I got it less than 2 months ago and I already have 200 odd hours on it... there's still plenty of people that play online, which is great to help you gain ranks quicker, allowing you to get better armor and weapons. There's not really any cutesy elements in 4U, as far as I know stories is the only one that has any

There's nothing wrong with MH:Stories, but it's not representative of the series at all.

I would probably go with 4U to start with. MH is a game designed to be played in a group, and 4U still has a pretty active community. You shouldn't struggle finding a group to jump in with there.
It's also one of the more accessible to beginners, especially so with certain mechanics getting some much needed updates in this one.

I guess generations wouldn't be that bad to start with either, but I felt 4U was the better game.

The earlier games are still good, but with servers being shut down and having to rely on local multiplayer, it makes a big part of the game a bit of a chore to do. The Wii U version of 3U still has servers up so I believe, but last time I played barely anybody was actually on it.

Monster hunter stories is pretty good but you should start on 3U, it's pretty easy and you actually don't need online multiplayer.

Eh I played 3U and it was pretty trashy for being a representative, imo or I'm just being bad at those games. 4U was alright but all those tutorial guiding and mission being "meh", no thanks.

I kinda wanna try Stories at one point if it's different, I also like the more cartoon-ish approach (as long as it's not like those DQ games i'm fine lol)

A really good game to start with is 4U, but to really unlock the full experience you'd have to play MHZ (Monster Hunter Frontier Z), there are so many monsters and so many quests that you could spend days nonstop playing and still have tons to do! (Also there are tons of exclusive monster in Froniter)

Ah, Good ol MH. It depends, do you like beating the crap out of monsters and also grinding for DAYS for gear that you want?​

Ah, Good ol MH. It depends, do you like beating the crap out of monsters and also grinding for DAYS for gear that you want?​

I don't mind, but I think they made the games too large for the 3ds. And no I don't need 45 tutorial missions, just add the guidance as I play or stuff lol?

- - - Post Merge - - -

I don't mind, but I think they made the games too large for the 3ds. And no I don't need 45 tutorial missions, just add the guidance as I play or stuff lol?

I'd recommend 4 Ultimate if you have a 3DS. If you still have a PSP, maybe give Freedom Unite a go too, can pick up a copy of it pretty cheap, and it is pretty similar to 4 Ultimate, just a different selection of monsters, and 4 Ultimate does have more features including online play.

Last edited:
Huh. Well, I started with 3U, and moved on to 4U. Both are good, but I lament the declining online of 3U.
Planning to get MH World when it releases.

Back