• The closing ceremony for TBT's Farewell to New Leaf event has been posted! View the winning entries and other closing announcements here. Thanks for joining in on the fun and nostalgia. We'll see you this Friday night for the start of our annual Easter Egg Hunt!

Origins of a Town Name

Clavicus was named because I was on a huge skyrim kick at the time, and Clavicus Vile is my favorite of the Daedric Princes in that game, and the fact that he's a Trickster Archetype fit nicely with my Mayor's name, Loki.

Powtown took a much longer time for me to name. I wanted something comic book like, but couldn't come up with any town names that immediately sounded like a comic book city, and I didn't want to use a real comic book city like Gotham. Finally I thought of how comic books use onomatopoeia, and I toyed with calling the town Wham or Ka-Pow before thinking of Powtown and deciding that sounded funner.

Well...

Balamb: named for the starting area of Final Fantasy VIII. I just couldn't think of anything else for my first town, lol.

Gilead: based off of Roland's home city in The Dark Tower series. I made Cuthbert the mayor, though, because he was my favorite of Roland's childhood friends.

Hanami: Japanese word for "flower viewing". This is my newest town and is a work in progress, but will eventually be a Zen/Flower garden town.

Bunifrey: a mashup of Bun Bun and Gallifrey. My hubby actually named this one, and it was made as a memorial for our Princess Bun Bun McCloud. (This one's definitely my favorite.)

Willow because of the trees. Ever since I was a kid I always thought those trees were beautiful. I thought it fitted since in ACNL you have a big tree on the plaza. Plus it sounds really simple yet pretty. So it's kind of nostalgic, too.

amos- my first town, and I was ten. Amos is our dog. Not my best choice.
Pies- got a new AC this summer, was trying to name it, and my dad said he wanted to stop and get a pie.( We were in the car)

Most of the names I use for my towns are names, which just come up in my mind while I'm
looking/search for one. One of my very first town name was Redford. I used this name first
in Wild World, later also in New Leaf. I can't remember how I came up with this name, but it
was one of my favorite town names for a while. Another name I mostly used is Maryhill. I was
looking for a town name which has "hill" in it, but I wasn't sure what could fit. I then came up
with Mary, one of my favorite names. So I combine both and yeah, that's how I ended up with
Maryhill. Well, and then there is Rosepool. While I was looking for new town name, I found a
website which has some tips of how to find and create a town name for Animal Crossing. And
thanks to this, that's how came up with the name.

My town's name is Ereta, I don't know if this is a real word or not, but its the name of a fake town I made up for a story. I just like how easy it is to say and sounds relaxful
For my other town, I might call it Umbra which means things like shade, shadow, or where light is completely cut off. I was already thinking my new town would be a spooky city like place so that could work out!

Back