• Happy Earth Week! TBT is hosting a series of nature-based mini-events through April 28th. Breed flower hybrids by organizing your collectible lineup, enter our nature photography contest, purchase historically dated scenery collectibles, and earn bells around the site! Read more in the Earth Week and photography contest threads.

Origins of a Town Name

Tora Olafsdotter

Bells
Cosmos - Since I have Usagi Tsukino/Sailor Moon as the mayor I decided that I wanted a Cosmic name for the town, and Cosmos, the name of Usagi's future self, sounded like a perfect town name to fit the mystical feel of the town.

Unity - Since this town unifies various ethnicities via the villagers such as Ankha and Pekoe who are Egyptian and Chinese respectively, I decided that Unity sounded like a good name for it.

Sileye - This one took a long time to come up with a name for. I tried a few names that went with RWBY as I made Ruby Rose the mayor. That being said I tried to come up with names that tried to be a pun on Scythe, as that is her weapon of choice, but I couldn't make anything that fit in the character limit. So I decided to use Ruby's Silver Eyes as town name. Coming up with Sileye in the process. Plus it sounds like 'silly' and Ruby is a very silly character.

How about you guys? Where did your town names originate from?

Red Oak - Town name I have used for a long time in city builder games. So using it just came naturally.

Greymoor - My medieval/skyrim/dragon age theme town. "Greymoor Cave" is a place in Skyrim. A "moor" is kinda like, an uncultivated hill land type thing or like low lying wetlands. Idk I thought it sounded cool.

Town of Lilacia -

My hometown (IRL) is know for it's Lilac bushes/trees. I have a lilac bush in my backyard and love to see it come into bloom every year. So I named my AC town after the lilacs... but made it sound a bit more like an actual town name, hence Lilacia.

My town's name is Link, I thought it'd be cute to think of it as the "link" between towns. Think of it as a rustic, underpopulated town. (I was at a loss for names, I was huge into Zelda at the time and didn't want to name it Hyrule, so the reality was picking the name Link).

Windset was basically the best name out of a list of 10 names or so. That name gained a meaning later since the majority of the villagers in the town were adopted from other towns. When a villager goes wherever the wind will take them, this is where they end up. There also is a wind turbine sitting on a cliff.

My town name is NeverWas and it is named after the World that Never Was from Kingdom Hearts. I named my characters after Kingdom Hearts characters too, but I wish I named my third character Linky instead since I am using him to collect all of the Zelda amiibo furniture. Xemnas is secretly Link. lol

The first town name I had in ACNL was called Filgaia. One reason for this town name was because I liked a video game series called Wild Arms. Plus I wasn't good with names in general and was one of the first names I could come up with. Though... I didn't based my town and characters around it. Would have been cool to attempt it; however, I am not that into a western theme.

The town that I have now is called Aeternia. I picked this name because I thought it sounded like a fantasy name. 'Cause the theme I was going for was a fantasy theme. Though... I am currently still deciding on how to decorate it since I am pretty picky on where I want things to go for this town of mine.

I usually used country or state or city names that already existed. I had Fiji, Svalbard, Owatonna, Minnesota,...
For my newest one I wanted to go with a Finland theme (or at least make it look pretty scandinavian) so I went with Ahma, the finnish word for wolverine, since that animal is the closest representation for "wilderness" I know.

Feldspar was chosen because I like to use weird color words when I'm not sure what to name something in a video game. Flint is its twin, since Feldspar and Flint are words that are both a color and a mineral, and they both start with F. I wanted pair names for my next two towns, too, so Harbor/Meteor. (6 letters long, similar sound.) Harbor is a seaside city and Meteor is an modern, urban town.

I chose the name The Void because I love space and wanted a cool sounded 'non-typical' spacey name. Plus I already knew what the void was when referring to it in game and loved the double meaning. And finally, it sounded great when Rover was like "So you're moving to The Void?" haha

StTropez - used to live there, always use it for my Animal Crossing towns as it has eight characters.

I chose my town names, Moaki and SunDew, just because I liked the sound of them and felt that they fit with each the towns themes

Last edited:
My town, Maywood, just sounded nice. I wanted something with the suffix -wood, and Maywood was nice.

Before acnl came out I tried to come up with a name for what I wanted. At the time I was into cryptids so I wanted a name to reflect that but still be it's own thing and not just something like Cryptid or adding -ville or something to the end. I wanted it to sound like an actual name of a place and I somehow settled on Cryptade.
I've resetted my game multiple times but have used the same name. I haven't actually started working on a theme for the town until now though:0

Iwatobi - Wow, this was pretty far back into my days where I was absolutely obsessed with Free! Iwatobi Swim Club. Pretty cringeworthy, I know, but I don't really care about it much anymore since it doesn't affect my gameplay or anything like that. Would I change it to something equally as cringeworthy but relating more to my current interests if I got the chance? Yes, but I'm not heartbroken over it and I'm definitely not willing to reset my town just for the name.

Maria- Big regrets today, but back when I made it, I named it after one of the walls in Attack on Titan.

Elerin- A random combination of magical sounding letters. NGL slightly based off of a kpop group name....

haha...

Dri'shi is the drow term for 'autumn.' It was originally going to be a shared town between myself and a friend of mine, but she lost interest in the game and told me I could do whatever I wanted with it. It ended up becoming my main town, because I didn't have enough time to devote to it and my old town (Solace). I grew attached and kept Dri'shi, and sold Solace to make a new town, although I haven't actually done anything with that one yet. I don't even remember its name!

Sycora, i derived it from the word Sycamore ( which is a kind of tree )

i wanted to make a town that gives you the feeling that you're in a park.
it has lots of trees, flowers and bushes.
it's going to have 13 villagers ( 14 if you count isabelle :p )
and all the paths are as straight as possible, horizontally and vertically.
and i think i really did a great job of it

even though it is not finished yet, just take a look at my town, you'll see what i mean.

DA: 6F00-007A-2686
Note: there are a lot of patterns in the flower fields here and there, but that is so villagers don't ruin my town with their inconvenient plotting

The town I'm currently working on is called Junction because it's rather urban and sectioned off. I wanted to name it Promenade but that's one character too long, so I kinda settled. But I'm getting used to it!

Back