• The closing ceremony for TBT's Farewell to New Leaf event has been posted! View the winning entries and other closing announcements here. Thanks for joining in on the fun and nostalgia. We'll see you this Friday night for the start of our annual Easter Egg Hunt!

If they got rid of trading on New Leaf...

Spooky.

Lonely Heart
Bells
MEOW Coupons
StreetPass Silver
Holiday Candy Cane 2021
Black Famous Mushroom
New Horizons Token
New Leaf Token
Isabelle
Mint
Blue Candy
Green Candy
Leif
Poptart Easter Egg
...would you quit playing?

I'd been thinking about it for a while now, and if they start releasing animal crossing on the switch and will no longer make the games for the 3DS like they're doing with Pokemon...what if they get rid of the wifi capabilities like they did when the DSi was replaced with the 3DS.

Would you stop playing animal crossing or would you try to live without being able to trade and visit other players?
Not only would you lose out on many items and all, but bells will become slower to get (without buying/trading), getting the train station upgrade will be impossible unless you buy a second copy of the game and a second 3DS, and if you rely on other towns to weed for weeding day or to trade villagers...no more! :eek:

I don't know if I'd quit personally, but it would certainly pull my interest away.

Absolutely. I mostly play Animal Crossing because of the online features and multiplayer, and New Leaf lost a lot of the charm the previous games had, so I'd probably stop playing immediately. I stopped playing Wild World for this exact reason. It's nostalgic( and I don't find the graphics as bad as other people say), but I didn't find much reason to play anymore after about a year or so, especially since I have wiimmfi on City Folk.

Absolutely. I mostly play Animal Crossing because of the online features and multiplayer, and New Leaf lost a lot of the charm the previous games had, so I'd probably stop playing immediately. I stopped playing Wild World for this exact reason. It's nostalgic( and I don't find the graphics as bad as other people say), but I didn't find much reason to play anymore after about a year or so, especially since I have wiimmfi on City Folk.

I've never played any of the games before NL (well, I played WW for about 10 minutes, hated it, and returned haha). I probably wouldn't quit NL all together but it would certainly slow me to a stop eventually, especially if being unable to get online stops me from finishing projects and all.

Yes definitely mainly bc I would be spending all my time playing the switch one lol
Seriously though one of my fave parts of acnl is designing my town/houses and showing other people, as well as visiting other people's towns in dreams... if they took that away, which they would if there was no more wifi capability, then I don't think I'd play much if at all anymore

Yes definitely mainly bc I would be spending all my time playing the switch one lol
Seriously though one of my fave parts of acnl is designing my town/houses and showing other people, as well as visiting other people's towns in dreams... if they took that away, which they would if there was no more wifi capability, then I don't think I'd play much if at all anymore

I don't have the money for a switch so I'd probably sob like I will once I am no longer able to play pokemon

Ah, I forgot about visiting dream towns as well. Man, so much of NL would become obsolete without wifi.

Oh, the island too. Wow. I really hope they don't cut the wifi to the DS families because of the switch.

I've never really done all that much stuff wifi-related until now, and even still I haven't done too much. I personally probably won't be affected all that much, but I know others may be taking a huge hit from this

If they got rid of trading on New Leaf... Would you quit playing?

I wouldn't quit playing the game if that were to happen. Not really that reliant on trading with others to keep up the momentum to continue playing ACNL. It is a bit easy for me to survive without being able to trade or visit others. I mean... I've done it before when I played the game for the first time. I do my best to try other things in ACNL to keep me motivated to keep playing it, but I don't want to get too addicted to it either.

Oh that would be awful. Trading on the forum has helped me find items and villagers that would not show up in my town. It is also fun to visit friends. I already think it is dumb miiverse is ending when games like Mario Maker rely heavily on it for level sharing. I feel like trading is a big part of Animal Crossing and it would definetely cause me to play less if it was gone.

i wouldn't play as frequently. I don't see myself collecting cards to buy special items on my town. I do a lot of trading on this site because of that. I love the multiplayer aspect of this game and if that was taken away I don't think I'd enjoy it as much.

These days I play solo most of the time although I enjoy summer trading when the boards are busy and I have more time to. I very much hope they wouldn't get rid of this feature - I've met some great people online, all over the world, who I otherwise would've missed out on. Out of all the games, I've connected with people online the most in ACNL, even if I don't use it as much anymore.
Regardless, I'm too attached to Animal Crossing to ever stop playing.

It'd definitely curtail my interest in the game, but I do a lot of things offline and meet with people IRL who I can play with locally if need be. But a ton of the game would become obsolete without wifi - petitions, Club Tortimer, dream addresses, trading, etc. etc.

Oh and seeing as ACNL is the home of my first "real" AC town, if and when AC switch comes out, I'll certainly play the Switch version nearly exclusively, but I'd still visit my old town every once in a while for memories' sake and because I don't want to abandon Vista and its inhabitants entirely.

Last edited:
Wouldn't change a thing for me, since I've never traded in this game in all the years I've played it. I've played all the versions starting with the Gamecube one and it's always been something I enjoy just for itself. I've been playing since 2002 and this is the first forum I've joined (in August 2017) simply to learn more about the update to NL. I've enjoyed the community here and decided to stay even though I don't trade. One thing I would miss if they cut wifi would be the Dream Suite, but I'd still play the game and work on my towns because building up the town, designing patterns, interacting with villagers in-game are why I kept playing in the first place.

I'm sure I would always play but I'm also sure I would probably stop playing that version quicker.

Last edited:
Nintendo DS and Wii online multiplayer shut down in 2014 due to a ten-year contract expiring, so it's safe to assume 3DS (and Wii U?) online multiplayer will live until 2021. Whether it will actually be active or not is another matter.

Last edited:
Well, I guess I would still play the game, since I play it mostly offline. However, I would kinda
miss the online options of the game, especially to visit other players dream towns. But if they
would shut down the wifi capabilities for 3DS/WiiU when there is already a new AC game out
for the Switch, then I guess it wouldn't bother me this not so much at all, since I would spend
all my attention to the new game and wouldn't play New Leaf that much anymore.

I've always moved onto the next ac game when it comes out - so if the game comes to the switch, & it looks good, I'll buy a switch to play it (& maybe other games, but main interest would be ac).

I'm playing acnl daily & will continue to do so, but its time - if I'm playing ac switch I'll have little to no time to also play acnl. Plus I'd get confused & bored playing two versions.

I don't trade or visit other towns but if Nintendo closed down wifi for the 3ds we would lose the Dream suite and streetpass. & I like both of those.
The boards would go down, very few posting, all the excitement & hype will be with the new game, so its difficult/lonely to still play an older game.

I don't put HHD & Pocket camp into the same league, HHD did not hold my interest above a few weeks, & I think the mobile game will be similar - I'll get it in Nov/play it - but only in case it links in with a main ac switch game.

Most likely, if there was no way to play and share with others, and you couldn't share your dream town the game would lose most of it's joy in my opinion. At the very least I would not play very much, I mean it would still be nice to pick up when I'm stressed and need a place to relax. But I seriously hope it takes a good while before that happens. Because I know when and if they make the switch game I'll eventually get it and ACNL will probably peter out naturally for me anyways, so I hope it at least doesn't happen until well after that.

Nope. Most of my play is done solo, so not having an option like that wouldn't really impact me at all. Yes, it's nice to trade for items so you can fill your catalog faster, landscape quicker, etc., but I guess I'm more old-school and focus on enjoying the more relaxed pace of the game as it was designed.

There was an option to share/trade items back on the GameCube version, although it was a bit clunky. It's possible they could resurrect that, updating it to fit the newer technology, so that people could still trade items.

Last edited:
Local trading via WiFi will always be available so I'll continue with that if I'm still playing. Hopefully we'll have a shiny new Switch version to enjoy by the time the 3DS servers are switched off.

Back