Would You Ever Do A Solo Town?

Would You Ever Do A Solo Town?

• Total voters
As someone who just joined this forum, and just an hour ago visited another player online for the first time ever: Wow, it's really interesting that this is such an uncommon thing that you can ask "would you ever" about it! I guess it really is a whole different game experience once you get used to playing socially, huh?

The taking longer to get stuff bit is what keeps me playing, I've discovered. Once I found out about item codes in the Gamecube version, I lost a lot of interest once I had everything I wanted. I have the capability to trade in New Leaf now (I didn't for years), but I only trade within my own towns and I recently started a new town where I play completely solo (no trading or that kind of thing) because I like the challenge of it.
This is how I feel about it too! It's so exciting to keep checking the store every day hoping for a certain item and then finally be able to get it, or better yet, maybe one of your favorite villagers happens to offer it to you one day, and it's the best feeling and you love them even more. The surprise and anticipation of it is the fun part!

Someone earlier in the thread mentioned how hard it is to collect all the fruits with just one town... I never noticed, I guess that's true? It took me a few months to get almost all of them in my first ACNL town, but that doesn't feel like a lot to me personally. And it was always super exciting when a villager offered that new fruit as a reward--if I already had them all, I imagine my reaction would have just been "oh wow, a fruit, thanks :|".

It seems like maybe when you play solo you can have a more emotional and narrative connection to the game and your villagers, but when you get into trading and play with lots of other folks it becomes more about the creative aspects (like perfecting your house, designing your village exactly how you want it) instead. I actually never thought about that before, it's really interesting how different that can make it!

This is how I feel about it too! It's so exciting to keep checking the store every day hoping for a certain item and then finally be able to get it, or better yet, maybe one of your favorite villagers happens to offer it to you one day, and it's the best feeling and you love them even more. The surprise and anticipation of it is the fun part!

Someone earlier in the thread mentioned how hard it is to collect all the fruits with just one town... I never noticed, I guess that's true? It took me a few months to get almost all of them in my first ACNL town, but that doesn't feel like a lot to me personally. And it was always super exciting when a villager offered that new fruit as a reward--if I already had them all, I imagine my reaction would have just been "oh wow, a fruit, thanks :|".

It seems like maybe when you play solo you can have a more emotional and narrative connection to the game and your villagers, but when you get into trading and play with lots of other folks it becomes more about the creative aspects (like perfecting your house, designing your village exactly how you want it) instead. I actually never thought about that before, it's really interesting how different that can make it!

That's it. Exactly. :)

Need I remind you that I already did a solo town?

It was when I couldn't do online stuff back in Wild World and City Folk.

But if you're talking about not trading when it comes to villagers, then I never done that.

no way, trading with other people is part of the fun.

wondering tho how Nintendo is gonna set things up for trading and visiting once they create AC Switch...

No, I wouldn't. You're supposed to trade, have visitors, visit other towns. The game has been designed for local (later online) play since the beginning.

Not everybody wants, or can have that interaction. I certainly don't. I play games for myself. I don't want to be forced to buy more data, for online interactions I don't want.

Technically that's what I did for a year before coming on here. I managed fine, simply because I didn't know what was out there or how much trading could help. I wouldn't go back to absolutely no trading, but if I were to start a new town on AC Switch (whenever/if it comes out) I would probably do it solo for a while before I start trading.

Nope, that'd not be doable. Considering I can't really get much amiibo stuff here at good prices let alone the wa/sanrio cards.

Nope, that'd not be doable. Considering I can't really get much amiibo stuff here at good prices let alone the wa/sanrio cards.

I just bought the fanmade set of sanrio cards for $40 on Etsy. They work perfectly and are very well made.
On Ebay, the real sanrio sets are selling for over $200!

Nah, I just think it seems inconvenient to not be able to trade for any of your items or bells.
I pretty much just get all my items from doing that, and my town would probably be awful without it.
I definitely don't have the patience to even attempt something like this, but kudos to you if you are doing it or are thinking of doing it! Seems like a pretty admirable thing to try and do.

Just wondering, does reading QR codes online count when you're doing a solo town? Or can't you do that either? And also catching bugs from other towns & picking up fruits from other towns etc?

Last edited:
The taking longer to get stuff bit is what keeps me playing, I've discovered. Once I found out about item codes in the Gamecube version, I lost a lot of interest once I had everything I wanted. I have the capability to trade in New Leaf now (I didn't for years), but I only trade within my own towns and I recently started a new town where I play completely solo (no trading or that kind of thing) because I like the challenge of it.

That's what I'm thinking of doing with my solo town once I start it. To only trade with my other town as that town I have traded for the items I could never get like the RV items etc. I'm actually thinking of only getting villagers I want from other town as well, so it's going to be long XD But I can't wait!

Last edited:
That's pretty much the way I've always played. I interact with others once in a great while, but not enough that playing alone is a problem.

I would do a solo town if I have a extra copy. It adds more challenge to what to do in your game.

my first town was a solo town since i had no friends (as if i had now haha) and didnt even try playing online! i also didnt unlock the qr reader until my last 3 days because i didnt know how to do that and it just happened on its own! i did everything myself and frankly i didnt find it tiring or boring at all ^^ of course its easier to trade someone for hybrids or get qr paths and clothes but i think we're all a bit spoiled by that fact and forget that doing everything by ourselves bit by bit is enjoyable too haha :)
im trying not to rely on trades etc now too much but ive already god two villagers from someone and a few items as well, so it's not going well haha

Last edited:
Does getting a villager from my boyfriend?s town and someone designing my town flag still count? If not, then I?m working on a ?solo town? right now.

Up until this week, my town had been a solo town. It was nice taking things nice and slow, but if I continued playing that way, there would also be some things that I'd never be able to do or get. Some furniture items like weeding furniture or rv items just wouldn't be possible. I feel like I've done enough on my own that I'm happy to visit and trade for the last handful of things. I am glad that I played on my own for a while though. It was really exciting to finally get my last fruit from a villager, etc. I do think I'd be less attached to my town if I'd gotten all of the fruit and all of the tools, and a ton of money straight away without having put in the time and effort to get them myself. So, I'm pretty happy with my mix of solo for a while before getting started with trading.

Nah, I just think it seems inconvenient to not be able to trade for any of your items or bells.
I pretty much just get all my items from doing that, and my town would probably be awful without it.
I definitely don't have the patience to even attempt something like this, but kudos to you if you are doing it or are thinking of doing it! Seems like a pretty admirable thing to try and do.

Just wondering, does reading QR codes online count when you're doing a solo town? Or can't you do that either? And also catching bugs from other towns & picking up fruits from other towns etc?

From my knowledge, a solo town just means you don't trade. You can still visit other towns(and be a sneaky theif =v=) and use online qr codes. Just not trading tbt/igb for hybrids, furniture, clothes, etc.
Doing small trades isn't forbidden tho :)

From my knowledge, a solo town just means you don't trade. You can still visit other towns(and be a sneaky theif =v=) and use online qr codes. Just not trading tbt/igb for hybrids, furniture, clothes, etc.
Doing small trades isn't forbidden tho :)

like fossil for art?

Does getting a villager from my boyfriend’s town and someone designing my town flag still count? If not, then I’m working on a “solo town” right now.

Getting voided/moving villagers from other towns and having a notmadebyyou flag is not against the solo town "rules". I'm only going off of what I know and random side note: It should be a "challenge"(like the challenges on YouTube- with rules...might make a thread about it despite not being the official creator^_^)

- - - Post Merge - - -

like fossil for art?

If it's like 2 fossils for 2 paintings, then yeah :3
I'm planning on making a thread about this to make things easier to explain despite not being the original solo town-er :)

Back