• The closing ceremony for TBT's Farewell to New Leaf event has been posted! View the winning entries and other closing announcements here. Thanks for joining in on the fun and nostalgia. We'll see you this Friday night for the start of our annual Easter Egg Hunt!

Disney Channel is brave

Quackerz

Orange 🍊
Mango 🥭
Bells
MEOW Coupons
StreetPass Silver
Tasty Cake
Yellow Candy
They've introduced a gay storyline in one of their shows, Andi Mack. Which, already introduced a topic that people probably have strong opinions about, Teen Pregnancy. What's y'all opinions about this? (please dont be mean to each other. You need to respect their opinions)

PS: Sorry if this isn't allowed on this board

Like the thread name says, Disney Channel is a ludicrously brave company for things like this. Albeit, their content still isn't as good as it used to be. RESPECT, DISNEY! (y)

I think it's about time they did this. The more kids are exposed to LGBTQ+ in the media the less abnormal it will become

Last edited:
I thought they handled the topic really well. They didn't make it out to be a big deal but they didn't make it out to be something people should be ashamed of.

I mean it's Disney, they are a massive brand with a looot of money, they can definitely handle any negative pushback that might come from telling an LGBT story (or *any* story with diverse representation), so I don't know how "brave" it is for them to *finally* be adding LGBT characters. It might have been brave if they had done this 10 years ago, but now it's just like...what took y'all so long? Anyways I'm glad it's finally happening, children need to see that it's normal.

I'm happy that they finally did, I still remember them being offended by the gay storyline in HSM3 which really sucked as a gay kid. To be honest I haven't watched Andi Mack yet, but I've been following what it does and I'm very happy this show exists. When I was a kid, all Disney sitcoms were just dudes doing stuff and girls doing stuff and it was all so meaningless compared to other shows on other channels.

Last edited by a moderator:
I mean it's Disney, they are a massive brand with a looot of money, they can definitely handle any negative pushback that might come from telling an LGBT story (or *any* story with diverse representation), so I don't know how "brave" it is for them to *finally* be adding LGBT characters. It might have been brave if they had done this 10 years ago, but now it's just like...what took y'all so long? Anyways I'm glad it's finally happening, children need to see that it's normal.

Pretty much, they are always 10 years late to the party... Better late than never though

- - - Post Merge - - -

Tbh, no matter what they do their shows will still suck and be cringy af.

Yeah, I mean they can at least try to be non-cringe and do a decent show but yeah must appeal to 100% of the audience lel

I think it's pretty neat that Disney is willing to take that step and bring that stuff into the shows, helps to normalize it even more in the still-hostile general views towards the LGBTQIA+ community, and I think it's pretty great and brave of them for being willing to make the move forward

That's really awesome of them, as they need to bring more real scenarios like this to shows. But I agree with others that it's not brave, as they're most likely just monopolizing on the fact that it's "popular" these days more so than anything. It's nice that they're at least making the attempt so that kids who aren't exposed to things like that can be, and it can promote some normalcy there, but I know A LOT of parents probably wont let their children watch it and there's probably tons of backlash. Thankfully Disney has too much power for it to bother them, a few off put parents aren't a problem, like when parents wouldn't let their kids watch Moana because it had a "foreign language" song it in. Like we grew up singing along to lion king, no idea what we were saying. Turns out we were telling our dad there was a lion, and at least in Moana in the song it's literally followed by a freaking translation... -_- I just hope that they do it right and not just in a money grabbing fetishy way like too many shows do.

well i've heard that this show did the scene right so that's good

BUT it took them this long to actually do something that represents gay people in a good non-embarrassing way that's just sad

Last edited:
It's not really brave at all honestly.

I agree with this. From what I've gathered there has not been many backlash when Disney introduced a gay main character. I certainly haven't heard any critique.
Regardless, it shouldn't be a thing that is considered brave. It's about time Disney did this (if you ask me).

To give Disney some credit, I watched the particular scene and I thought it was really well done so that's something.

Last edited:
I find it incredibly sad that it's so close to 2018 and it has to be seen as brave to have a gay character. It's as if gay people aren't totally normal or something.

I'm not familiar with the show but I think LGBTQ+ representation in children's media is very important for normalisation's sake. I don't really think Disney should be applauded for their "bravery" though, as that phrasing seems to praise them for something that was likely nothing more than an opportunistic marketing strategy.

Back