• The closing ceremony for TBT's Farewell to New Leaf event has been posted! View the winning entries and other closing announcements here. Thanks for joining in on the fun and nostalgia. We'll see you this Friday night for the start of our annual Easter Egg Hunt!

Disney Channel is brave

i think it's about time they did something like this. it's definitely a step up from "gaston's sidekick is gay" i'll tell you that much.

oh wow disney, a gigantic company with extreme amounts of money, has one (1) gay storyline this is truly the most brave act of activism i have ever seen.

they arent doing **** to actually make a statement, help anyone or whatever. the second they get a bit too close to losing their beloved conservative customers they will stop because this isnt about representation or whatever, it's about money. lgbt "support" is a selling point because Woke? companies are So much more humane and good. lol.

I mean it's Disney, they are a massive brand with a looot of money, they can definitely handle any negative pushback that might come from telling an LGBT story (or *any* story with diverse representation), so I don't know how "brave" it is for them to *finally* be adding LGBT characters. It might have been brave if they had done this 10 years ago, but now it's just like...what took y'all so long? Anyways I'm glad it's finally happening, children need to see that it's normal.

This is how I feel about it. It's great that they've finally added LGBT representation (and if I remember correctly, it's jewish LGBT representation which is another plus!) but the key word is *finally*.

We've been waiting for years. They aren't brave for only doing this now that LGBT characters in media are being more accepted.

Honestly, I feel like a gay storyline isn't even dramatic anymore. Maybe a few years ago, but today, eh.

not brave lol should have done this ages ago to be considered brave

Lmao. It?s not brave. Disney is just big enough to cash in on the LBTQ market without worrying about backlash. They?re a big company that doesn?t make anybuncalculated moves. Plus, this move in no way cancels out the bad **** Disney has done, then paid people to shut up about.

Lmao. It’s not brave. Disney is just big enough to cash in on the LBTQ market without worrying about backlash. They’re a big company that doesn’t make anybuncalculated moves. Plus, this move in no way cancels out the bad **** Disney has done, then paid people to shut up about.

but it's GAY so it has to be brave ?! :') just like how it's exttemely brave of straight actors to take the role of a gay character! why focus on the bad things, this thread is for praising a multi million company for being brave enough to have a gay storyline in one show in 2017!

anyways lol idk how it could be considered brave, big companies have had lgb couples in commercials for years to be Woke so this is hardly anything new or revolutionary. yes there are homophobes who wont want to spend money on things tainted by the evil works of satan but there aren't really any good alternatives for them (like, they will still let their kids watch frozen 2) and disney aren't stupid. theyre doing what so many other media companies have done to be "inclusive" but they wouldn't make a movie about a lesbian princess lol. putting a gay character in some show on disney channel is enough for them to be considered woke and not homophobic (because how can a media company stand for homophobia if it has one gay storyline) while also not having anything lgbt in their big franchises.

im sick of lgb(t lol but who ever remembers the t except when it's time for transphobic jokes) people being used as selling points. im not saying disney shouldnt have any lgbt characters, im just saying that they should at least include lgbt characters without making a big deal out of it because it's not revolutionary

also while we're on this topic i hope every creator who has lgbt baiting as """""representation""""" chokes

I mean, I'm happy this is happening, but most of the other major children's networks have already had main LGBT characters in their shows (Cartoon Network has Steven Universe which is just Really Gay and also has nonbinary characters, and Nickelodean has Loud House which has one of the main characters be a girl with a crush on another girl, there's even a cartoon on Amazon Prime called Danger and Eggs in which the main characters go to Pride and meet a character who is a trans girl who sings a song about her first day of school after transitioning), so it kinda feels like Disney's actually been playing it pretty safe.
Plus, this isn't exactly the first time Disney has had an LGBT character in their media (Off the top of my head, the character with two Mom's in Good Luck Charlie, the really terrible "gay representation" in the Beauty and the Beast live action re-make, Ursula's character design being heavily inspired by a gay drag queen named Divine, the very plausible seeming theory that Marco from Star Vs. the Forces of Evil could be a closeted trans girl (search trans marco theory for more, it's just a theory at this point but there is a LOT of evidence to back it up, including many members of the actual shows' staff being in support of the theory), a gay couple in Gravity Falls, and a genderfluid character in the Magnus Chase book series that Disney publishes, and that's once again just off the top of my head)

I don't say all of the above to be negative, I just think that what Disney is doing isn't new and so I'm happy that this is happening but at this point I'm waiting for LGBT characters in children's media to not just be a common addition to the show but to be normalized and common enough that we don't feel the need to give companies tons of pats on the back for doing things that aren't really that new is all.

I agree with most others, it's kind of late, and I'm sure there's a handful or two of well-known shows that have addressed these types of topics so far.

I never understood why people like Disney Channel so much. I even started to dislike Nickelodeon when they went the way of DC.

Though I'm not criticizing the for taking these steps. They can do whatever they'd like. I've just never been a fan of their programming.

Their shows suck in general. Every time I'm on vacation at a hotel and flip on Disney they've got the same bad acting and plots as usual. Haven't seen this show but I bet it's pretty much the same as the rest. Nothing really special about this.

I never understood why people like Disney Channel so much. I even started to dislike Nickelodeon when they went the way of DC.

^^^this. and yeah their channels for even younger children are even more trash.

but yea they can do it i guess, i just don't feel they are serious or brave for it.. i mean obviously commercial family friendly channel doing stuff. nah.

It's weird how when corporations take an obviously corporate-motivated step in "progression" people consider it brave but actions of LGBTQ+ people aren't put up as high on a pedestal as the corps are, albeit it's not shocking either.

If Disney did it in a medium where a larger group of their customers and such were at, then maybe, just maybe I'd consider that a brave move. But not so much on a channel that has what's most likely another throw away temporary sitcom show. Maybe if they put funds towards LGBTQ+ organizations it'd be a noble move, but this is more out of profit and controversy. The progressive crowd sees this = that crowd thinking "lole didney woke!" and throwing more cash at Disney.

I dunno, mates.

Laughing because why is this "brave" /eyerollllllllll/ LGBT people are perfectly normal. They are not magical unicorns that automatically earn you praise because you are so "brave" and so "forward thinking" to include them. TV shows should stop being celebrated every time they have progressive or diverse representation. It should be normal to include other sexualities (and also races)!!!!!! It just cheapens it because every time I see stuff like this it doesn't feel genuine. Like that TV show or whatever is just doing it to get attention. I mean it's good that there's diversity but..... it just feels like a ploy.

Back