• The closing ceremony for TBT's Farewell to New Leaf event has been posted! View the winning entries and other closing announcements here. Thanks for joining in on the fun and nostalgia. We'll see you this Friday night for the start of our annual Easter Egg Hunt!

Dead spots ruin everything

HappyTails

On Indefinite Hiatus
Orange 🍊
Coconut 🥥
Bells
MEOW Coupons
StreetPass Silver
Who's idea was it to incorporate dead spots in this game? We need to find them and kick them in the teeth. I woke up to dead spots in my town. I planted some trees yesterday was looking forward to them growing today just to find out that three of them won't grow.

AngryTails.

And I'm too obsessed with symmetry. I need to relax.

RelaxTails

Omg there pee me off soooo frigging much!! And they always happen to be smack bang in the centre of something important. There's no way they could just simply be under a path or not where I want to plant a pretty forest -.-

I have one near my cafe which threw everything off. So I had to redo the area to make it look alright.

Wait for a high luck day, wear a clover and use a golden shovel.

i know every dead spot in my town, and build around all of them

Hmmm, I didn't think they worked like that, I thought it was 'plants per acre' not dead spots. Any time I have plants not grow, I simply remove another plant in the acre, and then the new plants will grow.

Okay what acres? Okay, I know they are but what they in this game, like how are they sectioned off?

- - - Post Merge - - -

Wait for a high luck day, wear a clover and use a golden shovel.

Yeah, only with that is I don't have a golden shovel OR a clover.

Okay what acres? Okay, I know they are but what they in this game, like how are they sectioned off?

- - - Post Merge - - -

Yeah, only with that is I don't have a golden shovel OR a clover.

I don't section them off much, I just remove something nearby, and that generally works.

However acres are a grid like this

4blog-5.jpg

So how many trees are allowed to grow in an acre? This game is way more complicated than it needs to be.

It's also that the game only allows you to have 12 un-passable objects in a row. So only 12 trees and bushes can be touching.

Other than that it is an acre thing. I think it's a limit of 15 trees/bushes in a 7x7 area.

All as others have said,
plus from Liquefy's walkthrough faq (gamefaqs) he says

No more than eight trees will grow within a 7x7 square plot of land.
Plus a tree will not grow within a 5x5 square plot of land that already has twelve shrubs.

He also talks about the acres: 20 acres, five across by four down. An acre contains 16 x 16 = 256 "spots" (places where you can dig a hole or where a flower or tree can grow) on the ground.

Complicated; I just do things by eye, nothing too close to one another, a nice balance around the town. Its worked up to now.

And there's this to consider if you are planting an orchard:
https://gaming.stackexchange.com/questions/120685/are-there-any-spacing-rules-for-trees

I've been surprised by a couple of dead spots (I wanted bushes around my camp site) but it doesn't bother me, I'm not triggered or anything lmao. It's meant to be fun. ;)

I had a problem with a dead spot but I somehow got something to grow!! The way I found was, I had a cluster of trees (growing an orchard) and though none were touching, there was one tree that just would not grow. I read somewhere that though there is a space between the trees, they don’t like being surrounded. There were trees all around the one what wouldn’t grow, so I cut down the one below it opening the area, then planted the tree. And it grew!! Then I replanted the one below it and it was all good. I don’t know if the circumstances are the same however and I hear there are spots that are dead zones with nothing nearby. It’s frustrating!!

So the dead spot was here where I planted this pitfall seed, there were actually two back here

22813955_362505727525038_7849055900801973013_n.jpg

I tried moving trees around, rearranging them but the dead spots were determined so...

I decided to let a house be plotted here instead (I'm tearing down that bench)

22729172_362895440819400_8291219806030921645_n.jpg

And move the bench here near the waterfall

22687818_362895537486057_871607966581571993_n.jpg

This game don't outsmart me, I outsmart this game.
That 12 bushes/trees touching I knew about and it makes sense but it can be a pain when you are trying to plant trees and it won't let you.

Last edited:
Good job Tails! I've dealt with a dead zone only once or twice but it was frustrating haha! Thankfully most of my town is covered in QRs so it's not so much an issue for me now.

I’m glad you got things worked out! The first image showing the dead spot looks just like how my orchard was too. Maybe it’s too late but you can try cutting down the tree north or east of it and then planting, and if it starts growing you can plant the one beside it again.

Good luck with everything!

Back