• The closing ceremony for TBT's Farewell to New Leaf event has been posted! View the winning entries and other closing announcements here. Thanks for joining in on the fun and nostalgia. We'll see you this Friday night for the start of our annual Easter Egg Hunt!

Animal Crossing Mobile Nintendo Direct Announcement

I'm not super big on mobile games, but if it's Animal Crossing I'll always give it a shot! I just got a phone upgrade so I'm excited for it! I can't even begin to imagine what it would be about though. I don't think it will have the capacity of a town building game like what we're used to, but in my heart I would want something like that. :'D I'm pretty sure there will be in-game purchases, because what mobile game doesn't. Ugh lol

On the contrary, mobile would be perfect for this type of game. But it's definitely not where I want it, my phone is a tool, not a gaming device.

If Mario Run and Fire Emblem Warriors is anything to go by, this will be a game that uses the essence of Animal Crossing over top a run-of-the-mill Freemium game, like say any sort of town builder you can find on the app store.

*fire emblem heroes :^) but yes i bet it will be like that

I really hope it has the feel of Happy Home Designer- clearly a side game with a bit of a repetitive nature, but highly customizable and non-linear in a way that has always made this series special! I think it'd be cool if they somehow integrated a connection with New Leaf, too, but I know that would be asking too much.

Hey, gives me something else to do besides playing random mobile games, listening to music, and browsing the forums! (As if I already dont have my 3DS with me...)

Now I'm really curious how this game will be, even if I'm not interested in mobile games at all
to be honest. I don't know if I can watch it live, as the direct will be at 8am on that day in my
country.

HELL YEAH!

they announced this so long ago w/ like no information on it i didn't even know if it was still a thing or not. glad to hear this! i was quite surprised to suddenly see this subform.

i'm kind of confused as to where we watch it though..?

Finally! I was starting to wonder when they'd make an announcement about this. I've been waiting a while, so I hope it is a good game.

I have a great fear that they'll just talk about the mobile game, then leave us in the dark about the Switch game for months to come. >.>

My opinion, though: Animal Crossing + Intrusive Mircotransactions like in many mobile games will not mix well. If there is a case where Bells become tied to real money, or important items are permanently tied to cash, I'll refuse to play the game. I say this as a heavy Pokemon Shuffle player, and who has played nearly every 3DS freemium game - all without paying a single cent in them: The tying to payments makes these games feel anything but relaxing to play, and that is the greatest charm of Animal Crossing itself.

Its about time they did this. They did say no new 3DS/Switch info, but I hope there will be an Animal Crossing Switch announced with this direct. You know, to fit with the theme.

If this is a mainline game I'll be so upset. This needs to be some tiny, inconsequential game.

Animal crossing will not work on mobile, it needs to come to switch -__-

They're not going to put a mainline game on mobile.

Oh my lord, finally. Even if it looks and plays like garbage, i'll take what I can get honestly!

Last edited:
They're not going to put a mainline game on mobile.

how can you be sure though? console games arent as popular nowdays and most people have a good mobile phone that can run some quite good games. they could make a mainline mobile and a mainline console too.

i hope its kinda like a townbuilder, but you can still interact with characters and do minigames and stuff! i would LOVE it to be a simpler version of a mainline game (a couple of villagers, nooks sells Everything and ur not the mayor or anything) but im just praying its not another amiibo festival lmfao

It's good that we're finally getting info about this after probably a year of no info since the announcement. If it looks interesting to me then I'll try it.

how can you be sure though? console games arent as popular nowdays and most people have a good mobile phone that can run some quite good games. they could make a mainline mobile and a mainline console too.

i hope its kinda like a townbuilder, but you can still interact with characters and do minigames and stuff! i would LOVE it to be a simpler version of a mainline game (a couple of villagers, nooks sells Everything and ur not the mayor or anything) but im just praying its not another amiibo festival lmfao

Well, the stated goal of Nintendo's mobile initiative is to ultimately promote and supplement their dedicated gaming systems, not replace them. So I assume it wouldn't be too much like a "mainline" game.

I guess if anything though it depends on someone's definition of what qualifies as a "mainline" game.

Ah man I can't watch it... it's too late for me. I don't really like mobile games, but I'll take any AC I can get.

Back