• The closing ceremony for TBT's Farewell to New Leaf event has been posted! View the winning entries and other closing announcements here. Thanks for joining in on the fun and nostalgia. We'll see you this Friday night for the start of our annual Easter Egg Hunt!

College

mitfy

court jester
Bells
MEOW Coupons
StreetPass Silver
Black Hybrid Rose
Black Famous Mushroom
Friday the 13th Candy
Lucky
Voodoo Doll
Ancient Candle
Purple Bat Potion
Pumpkin Cupcake
Ruby
Pink Candy
so a lot of ppl on tbt are within the age range of having to think about university or already in college...

and i was wondering, for those of you in college, how did you choose where you went? whatcha studying? how'd you decide? what were some factors when choosing where to go?

and if you're supposed to be thinking about it/applying soon like i am, what're you thinking of?

you dont have to give exact college names since that can like reveal your general location if u arent comfortable w/ that but yeah i was just curious since i've been kind of all over the place and really thinking about it lately.

earlier this week i toured the college that my mother, her sisters, and her mother went to, so if i went i'd be like a super legacy. but i really like it there and i don't think i've fallen in love w a school/town so quickly.
i never really considered the size of the school when thinking of where to go, but i realized recently when looking at the size difference between my parents' universities that i think smaller colleges with more personal attention and tight-knit communities seems more appealing to me than a uni w a 19:1 student faculty ratio and classes w 200 students lmao.
as for studies... i've always been a writer and interested in the arts (which is why i spent a lot of time looking at SCAD) but now i think i'd rather get into psychology. idk!

My main advice is to actually go the schools and tour them, and get a sense of the town/city it's in as well. Can you picture yourself living there for 4-ish years? You don't want to be someplace where you're miserable no matter how perfect you think the academic program is. If you're not happy where you live, your studies will definitely suffer.

I studied film in my undergrad, and I picked my school because it had a blend of production and academic courses in the program, whereas most other schools either focused on film production or film academia almost solely. I wasn't sure what I wanted to do in film, so I wanted that mix. The only other school where I could get that mix, I liked the program but didn't click with the campus or the small city it was in at all. The place felt boring and blah to me. So I went with the one where I liked the campus and city. I went on to do grad studies at the same school.

I knew I wanted to study theatre and looked at the German universities that had good programs. In a way I took a risk by only applying to my top choices, but I ended up being lucky and getting accepted by all three. From there it was just a decision between the cities, and I picked Munich because it was the one closer to my hometown.

However, the program was not a good fit for me, and I ended up dropping out after a year. I’d lived in Germany for all of my schooling, so I decided to move to the US. The choice was made pretty quickly because the city my dad’s family lives in coincidentally has one of the best theatre programs in the country, and I liked the idea of knowing at least a handful of people so far away from home.

If there’s something to take away from this, it’s that most decisions, no matter how well they were considered can be changed. Choose wisely but don’t feel like you’ll be stuck with it. That counts for universities as well as for majors or going to college in general ;3

Disclaimer: I realize that I’ve been lucky to have the opportunity to make these decisions fairly lightly in comparison to some people though

Last edited:
lol I was about to start a thread about college
but more so abt how I was so amazed at my college's vending machines

college: university of utah
how did i choose: i like utah
studying: biology, emphasis on anatomy and physiology
decide: i like biology
factors: the city surrounding the college, quality of the dorms, and family members' locations relative to the school

- - - Post Merge - - -

also i didnt do any school visits so i kind of picked it at random and blind ngl

im suppose to be in college by now, but im behind due to reasons (mostly my mom's fault)
as of recently i decided i'd probably study graphic designing and/or animation. i always wanted to animate but just haven't had the patience to practice.

I knew I wanted to study theatre and looked at the German universities that had good programs. In a way I took a risk by only applying to my top choices, but I ended up being lucky and getting accepted by all three. From there it was just a decision between the cities, and I picked Munich because it was the one closer to my hometown.

However, the program was not a good fit for me, and I ended up dropping out after a year. I?d lived in Germany for all of my schooling, so I decided to move to the US. The choice was made pretty quickly because the city my dad?s family lives in coincidentally has one of the best theatre programs in the country, and I liked the idea of knowing at least a handful of people so far away from home.

If there?s something to take away from this, it?s that most decisions, no matter how well they were considered can be changed. Choose wisely but don?t feel like you?ll be stuck with it. That counts for universities as well as for majors or going to college in general ;3

Disclaimer: I realize that I?ve been lucky to have the opportunity to make these decisions fairly lightly in comparison to some people though
wow, amazing! impressive that you got accepted to all of them. :) i'm glad things worked out for you in the end haha.

lol I was about to start a thread about college
but more so abt how I was so amazed at my college's vending machines
omg
tell. what's so amazing about the vending machines

I go to the University of North Texas. It's cheap, and I can commute easily. I chose criminal justice because I was genuinely interested in the criminal investigation aspect of it. I chose it because it was one the cheapest and the easiest to be admitted to public universities in Texas beyond community college

Last edited:
I go to the University of North Texas. It's cheap, and I can commute easily. I chose criminal justice because I was genuinely interested in the criminal investigation aspect of it. I chose it because it was one the cheapest and the easiest to be admitted to public universities in Texas beyond community college

nice!! i'm rlly interested in criminal justice stuff, though law school is Too Much for me, and i'm not a big fan of the actual work behind forensic science and that sort of detective work ( :rolleyes: ), but i actually found out that forensic psychology is a thing! basically a cross between psychology and the law, like determining if a defendant is stable enough to testify in a court, stuff like that.

I'm looking into colleges with elementary education majors because I want to be a kindergarten teacher.

Last edited:
I'm a senior in high school rn, I've been contemplating what I was going to go into, mortuary studies or pursuing music. I've decided to go into music, to hopefully be able to teach vocal music. I would've gone to Lindenwood University in my hometown for forensics if I decided on becoming a mortician, but now I am thinking about SWIC for the first two years, then I'll go to UMSL for music education. I've worked with the head of music there before and she had shown interest in me being in her music program. I'm really excited for this, because my current music teachers say I can get scholarships really easily for my interest and talent in choral/jazz music. Good luck in your college venture! :)

I'm third year Computer Science at my local university. I just went with them because there are no living expenses if I live with my parents and the Co-op program at this school is amazing. By the time I graduate I will have 16 months of paid work experience directly related to my field of interest. The company I'm at right now is willing to hire me once I graduate. If you can go somewhere that has good programs in what you're interested in, and is cheap (not sure how US post-secondary works), that should be your go-to.

and i was wondering, for those of you in college, how did you choose where you went?
I go to a college that is in my hometown, so I know the area very well and I just love it here. Plus I love the small campus size and the scenery of the small city :)

mitfy said:
whatcha studying?
I'm doing a double major in piano performance and astrophysics. The former I've been wanting to do since I was in middle school, but the latter I decided prob sometime around November of last year. I'm also considering a minor in mathematics just because I already have to take a lot of math classes with physics.

mitfy said:
how'd you decide?
I've bee playing piano since I was in 1st grade (I was 6 1/2 years old), and as with astrophysics... well I love space! And physics is pretty great too :blush: I like to think that in some way, Star Trek influenced my astrophysics interest too.

mitfy said:
what were some factors when choosing where to go?
I wanted to go to a college that was really small. My high school was really small; in fact,there were only 61 people in my graduating class last year. So I felt better being at a place that wasn't constantly crowded with students.
I didn't care too much about finances, since I knew that having good grades would help me get scholarships.
I wanted to be sure that the college had good music and science programs, and after getting to know some of the professors before starting my freshman year, I knew that the programs were good.
I also wanted to have a small student to faculty ratio, since I'd like to develop a close connection with my professors and feel comfortable in being able to approach them with any questions I might have.

I'm a music major, it wasn't hard to choose at all because I've wanted to go into music since the beginning of high school. I chose my school based on location and reputation. As others have said I would recommend visiting schools you're considering just so you can get a general vibe of what it's like there.

english major at a college in my home town. english bc i like literature.arguably one of the worst schools. went bc they give insane amounts of financial aid. constantly hate my life and decision to attend.

I wish I could have afforded to go to college but my family is broke and I am broke so there really wasn't a chance. I do plan on taking a course online soon just for a certificate, not for a degree or anything.

I applied to a bunch of different colleges when i was in high school, and decided I would go to the "best" school that accepted me. I now go to a top ranking liberal arts college in Massachusetts. I absolutely love it, if anyone is applying to colleges and wants to know more details I would be happy to tell you more in a PM.

I'm majoring in Biology and minoring in German. I am not really sure what I want to do after college, either work in a lab, maybe forensic science, or be a PA (physicians assistant).

I do recommend touring the schools you are considering, I personally realized I didn't want to be "in the middle of nowhere" and crossed a few off my list that way. I also wanted to live near a major city, which for me is Boston. My college also is walking distance to (actually literally right next to) a "college town" which I like.

Well in college I'm doing biology, chemistry, psychology, and media. After I'm done with that, I'm hoping to do Molecular Biology at Manchester University, if I can get the grades ;;;; A lot of the accommodation there is horrible, and Manchester is pretty skanky tbh :/ The London unis aren't as appealing, and I'm not sure about the halls, but at least it's closer to Bournemouth hsnksks why are there no universities down south???????? Guess I'll just have to live like 6 hours away from home then

Well in college I'm doing biology, chemistry, psychology, and media. After I'm done with that, I'm hoping to do Molecular Biology at Manchester University, if I can get the grades ;;;; A lot of the accommodation there is horrible, and Manchester is pretty skanky tbh :/ The London unis aren't as appealing, and I'm not sure about the halls, but at least it's closer to Bournemouth hsnksks why are there no universities down south???????? Guess I'll just have to live like 6 hours away from home then

The dormitories in Southampton don't sound so good either. They said on freshers week not to leave your windows open, if you were on the ground floor. In case your room got raided by thieves. (Thankfully I commute)

Back