• The closing ceremony for TBT's Farewell to New Leaf event has been posted! View the winning entries and other closing announcements here. Thanks for joining in on the fun and nostalgia. We'll see you this Friday night for the start of our annual Easter Egg Hunt!

How to make a beautiful town?

ackawai

どうぶつの森
Bells
MEOW Coupons
StreetPass Silver
Switch
0000-0000-0000
New Leaf Token
Mailbox
Silver Mailbox
I need tips on how to make my town beautiful. Currently, it's pretty drab and D U L L. How do you make your towns nice? Thanks for any insight!

Weeds, trash cans, and ugly villagers!!!

Oh wait I thought you asked how to make your town not beautiful, nvm.

Lay down some paths. Once that's done, setup all your bushes around town. I like to border my paths with them. Use tons of flowers. Strategically place your pwps. Coordinate your theme if you have one in terms of the proper pwp selection, paths that integrate well, etc.

Last edited:
Are you going for a more natural look or a modernish town? I'm a huge fan of flowers in both types of towns, but I think they need to be strategically placed. If you have a big open space, don't be inclined to just FILL it with only flowers. Think of a PWP that would look nice there, or maybe a circular arrangement of bushes and flowers if you have space - anything to just avoid dumping all your flowers in one spot. Also, stick to a colour theme, either repeated throughout your town or naturally blending into another. Decide on a general theme, it will make picking PWPs easier. For example, if your town has a park-like theme, the PWPs you could use include picnic blanket, topiaries, fountains, lamp post, metal bench, etc. There are some PWPs that can be repeated, so maybe you could make use of that, like using multiple topiaries look a lot better than just one placed randomly in a spot. I realised after a while that I don't like most of the PWPs I used in town, so I'm slowly getting rid of them and using some repeats that I know look good in town. Good luck!!

Last edited:
Trees and Bushes are needed to give your town depth. I find they really help. PWP's and houses do this as well, so you don't need as many around those. Honestly the thing that helped me the most in learning how to make things look nice was visiting a bunch of DA's and taking pictures of everything I thought was pretty or cool. Then I looked at them as a whole to figure out what made them work.

You should look up youtube videos of acnl dream towns, you'll get lots of inspiration from them! ^^

I agree...dream towns have been my inspiration for lots of ideas that I have adapted to my own likes and preferences! I take screenshots of rooms and landscaping that I like so I can go back and look at my collection of photos. There are so many incredible towns made by creative and talented people. You are probably one of those people or you would not have and like New Leaf! :D

A word of caution, though, and one which I have to remember myself! ...watch out for the tendency to think you could never make as beautiful a town as some of the dream towns you see. Your town will be YOURS, therefore it will be beautiful. I told someone else recently that it does take time and effortt to build a beautiful town, that's for sure, but if it is work that is fun, creative and fulfilling the time and effort are well worth it!

Here is the link to TBT dream town list: http://www.belltreeforums.com/showthread.php?397171-Official-Dream-Address-Thread-%26%239790%3B-V-2

Hope you have a wonderful time!

i started off with making my path, i just used a hat design until i had ideas to change it to. i made a path connecting EVERYTHING and then realised the paths kinda sectioned off my town for me! i ended up using that to my advantage and put different fruit trees in certain sections. still a work in progress, tho!

- - - Post Merge - - -

also, you'll need quite a few pwps too

I'll try these suggestions. Thanks!

How would I make a 'theme'?

To make a theme think about what you want your town to be like. Do you want it modern? foresty? Magical? A magic forest? Like a farm? Old? Do you want it to be very colorful or just use a few colors? You can even go for a very specific thing then go broad from that! (For example, I wanted my town to feel like a comic book come to life, so it needs to be modern and colorful.)

After you've decided on that take a look Here at all the PWP's you have available, and pick out all the ones that match the vibe you're going for. Try and get as many of them unlocked as possible, and maybe use patterns to mark out where you want them to go. At the same take a look at all the flowers and bushes and start working on collecting and breeding ones that you think would also work. Put them all together in some kind of order and hurray! Your town is themed!

Setting up your Mayor and other characters house is also a good way to add to the theme. It's how you can make things more specific instead of being just 'forest' or 'modern' themed. Having specific villagers also goes a long way sometimes. A town themed around a circus, for example, wouldn't feel complete without Pietro the clown!

This is just a general guideline though, there's no real hard rules for themeing. Just have fun with it!

Back