• The closing ceremony for TBT's Farewell to New Leaf event has been posted! View the winning entries and other closing announcements here. Thanks for joining in on the fun and nostalgia. We'll see you this Friday night for the start of our annual Easter Egg Hunt!

The never ending resetting problem

Sweetley

- Gone -
Bells
MEOW Coupons
StreetPass Silver
Most of you know that problem: You want to start a new town and unfortunately, none of
the maps Rover suggests to you looks good. So what are you probably gonna do? Reset in
hope that one of the next 4 maps is the right one. Depending of what criteria you have, it
can take a while till you find the perfect map.

Now I wonder: Do you reset as long as you find a map you like? What kind of criteria you
have while looking for a map? And what was the longest you ever search for a map? Did
you ever gave up while searching?

As for me, I gonna reset as long as I finally found a map I'm happy with. I just don't wanna
pick a random map, because I know I gonna delete it once when I find something I'm not ok
with. I mostly care for the shape of the river as well as where the plaza is. These are the only
important for me while looking for a town map. I think the longst I ever search for a map was...
Almost 3 Days I think? And actually, I wanted to give up once because it was getting frustrating,
however, after a long while of searching, I finally found a map then.

So, what about you?

I care about where the river is too. I like it to split the town pretty evenly. It looks weird to me if it is off to one side and there is a random sliver of land somewhere. I tend to care about the town fruit more than the map though. I'd want a town where the perfect fruit looks cool like with apples or cherries.

I look for a peninsula or something so I won't have neighbors and I can have a yard.
Starting villagers don't matter to me since they can be replaced,(I've never understood why that was such a big deal) but better ones are good for giving away.
One big beach with a small private beach instead on two beaches.
Anything except apples or pears since I have pears and don't like the look of apples.
Only one or two ponds, in good spots and manageable rocks.
A place for the campsite that I can put cedars around.
Town hall, plaza, retail and campgrounds in one area, or in some order.
Campground off plaza.
That's pretty much it.
Considering restarting one town because I picked a bad spot for my house but I've spent 40 btb on villagers there, so I'll figure it out.

I havent really reset for a good town yet.

But when I do on my other copy of the game I will do. and I also want to get a nice river, though since I'm not too sure on the way I want it to be, I'll just see what I'm giving but one thing about the river I don't want it to give me really small bit of land because I can't do much with that. I kinda also want a private beach which would be nice as my other town doesn't have one. I'm also hoping that the plaza and town hall are in a good place and not many rocks or at least in the way or places I could use.
What I also want to do is when I get my villagers I want to keep, I wnt their houses to be at the top, very close to the railway, in a straight line, I don't know if thats possible. But in my other town, I have two houses next to each other by the railway.

I reset for an hour, my only criteria was one pond, and as even a split as possible. once I started, I then immediately looked at rock placement , and once I decided I could work with the rock placement, fruit type(don't like pear and orange) and grass type (I like circle) I started on the town..... It's not perfect but I'll never reset again ^^

It took me like 4 days and still there are things I don't like about my map: the pond's location, some rocks, the grass shape and peaches when I wanted apples.
The next time I think I'll go for a diagonal waterfall instead of vertical.

Back