• The closing ceremony for TBT's Farewell to New Leaf event has been posted! View the winning entries and other closing announcements here. Thanks for joining in on the fun and nostalgia. We'll see you this Friday night for the start of our annual Easter Egg Hunt!

Why is pizza so terrible everywhere else? (New York style pizza lover)

keybug55

Untitled Goose Villager
Bells
MEOW Coupons
StreetPass Silver
Switch
3543-1815-3219
Blue Hybrid Pansy
Pavé
May Birthstone (Emerald)
Easter Egg
Togepi Easter Egg
Red Candy
Dusty Scroll
Ancient Lantern
Yellow Candy
Pokéball
I live somewhere in the tristate area around NYC. I have what's known as New York style pizza. The pizza hot spot I would say would be around NYC, East Philadelphia, and Northern New Jersey (not sure about Maine). If you move a couple states out you don't get as good pizza (outside of "craft pizza" that you get served in some restaurants that aren't Italian based, blech).

I'm mainly talking about pizzerias, but even chain pizza like Dominos or Pizza Hut doesn't have that quality that pizzeria pizza has. To be fair I haven 't tried Dominos Pizza after the revamp with the recipe, mainly because I didn't need to.

I understand that pizza is typically better in NYC because of the years of Italian immigrants that was embedded into the NYC culture. I just don't understand why pizza tastes so terrible outside of this hot spot. Is it something to do with the sauce? Not enough olive oil? Too thin of a crust? That kind of thing.

Because chain pizza places are basically fast food but pizza lol it's like expecting a quality burger from mcdonald's dude

what an objective question

i went to new york in 2014 and ate pizza a few times and tbh it was worse than the pizza i get from the pizzeria five minutes from my house.

It always strikes me as funny when people from the East Coast act high and mighty about their pizza being the most authentic around when it really isn?t much closer to Italian ones than those of Pizza Hut.

I?ll apologize to OP though and clearly state that you didn?t actually sound arrogant about your pizza being the best. I?ve just dealt with a enough former New Yorkers to get slightly cheeky about the topic whenever it comes up >.>?

what an objective question

i went to new york in 2014 and ate pizza a few times and tbh it was worse than the pizza i get from the pizzeria five minutes from my house.

It really isn't any better taste-wise IMO, the slices are typically bigger and that's about it

But like idk why anyone'd expect greatness from pizza pizza or dominos

Lel, come to Sweden. We have a lot of good places that is not fast food sloppy pies.

There are good and bad pizza places all over. I don't think any one place can lay claim to being the only place you can get good pizza. And chains are not a good example, because they prioritize speed and quantity over quality, which is more valued in smaller restaurants.

I like NY-style pizza; my understanding is it's characterized by having a very thin (but soft) crust and the toppings are piled high. Chicago-style deep dish is great also. I can't really think of any other "styles," except maybe for St Louis i've heard has some sort of unique cheese on theirs but i've never tried it..

well all the people i've heard from New York talking about their pizza claim its the water actually (used in the dough) that makes their pizza taste better than the pizza everywhere else. dunno if there's any science behind it, but more than one "NY Style" place where i live boasts that they bring in the water for their dough from NYC...

I've lived in New York/Eastern Pennsylvania all my life and got pizza in Pittsburgh once and it was square? I've also had pizza in San Diego when I went to visit my second cousins and it was kind of mediocre.

Anyway don't ever get pizza at chains it's greasy and overly salty. I usually just like just olives, or spinach/tomato basil white pizza.

It always strikes me as funny when people from the East Coast act high and mighty about their pizza being the most authentic around when it really isn?t much closer to Italian ones than those of Pizza Hut.

I?ll apologize to OP though and clearly state that you didn?t actually sound arrogant about your pizza being the best. I?ve just dealt with a enough former New Yorkers to get slightly cheeky about the topic whenever it comes up >.>?

So then where do you get pizza from?

NY-style pizza is delicious! I don't like Domino's pizza as much as I used to, their cheese doesn't stretch when I take a bite out of their pizza. Pizzeria pizza is my kind of pizza.

I'm a tomato sauce lover, and Dominos seems to not put enough on their pizza as well, it's just all dough :/

I've never been to New York, so I don't know if I've ever had New York style pizza.

I agree with others though. Domino's, Papa John's, etc are really just quick and easy pizza. Honestly, the best pizza I've ever had is homemade pizza. I think I make some really tasty homemade pizza. If you're a thin crust fan, you probably won't like mine though. I loooooove deep dish, soft bread-like crust.

Last edited:
lol thin crust pizza sucks

chicago and its deep dish pizza would like to have a word with you

So then where do you get pizza from?

*fluster* I’m honestly not that crazy about pizza, so I’m not claiming which is best either.
I’ve liked pizza in Italy and Germany (often eaten with fork and knife) best, but can enjoy local pizzerias in AZ, as well as cheap chains like Pizza Hut. To me it’s all about the topppings and sauce, the more the better :3

pretty sure everyone likes pizzeria better than chain, but let's face it, sometimes you'd rather spend ten bucks on a pizza than twenty or thirty....

Back