Have you ever bought a game without owning the console to play it on?

Only one, the original Digimon World. I was a huge Digimon fan back then, but my parents just wouldn?t allow me to have a PSOne, because yadda yadda video games are evil or something. Regardless, when I saw the game on sale, I just had to have it and bought it with my pocket money. It remained unopened until I saved up enough to get myself a shiny new PS2 (without the approval of my parents, of course, haha) :D

I think the only times I've bought a game without owning the console to play it on, is when I was planning on buying the system soon. For example, I wasn't able to get a Wii on launch day since they were sold out, but I still went ahead and bought Legend of Zelda: Twilight Princess so that I'd already have it once I got my Wii.

There have been other cases where people have bought me games as gifts (from a garage sale or thrift shop) that I didn't own the system to play it on. When they think of you as a big gamer, sometimes people just assume you have every system. :D

There have been other cases where people have bought me games as gifts (from a garage sale or thrift shop) that I didn't own the system to play it on. When they think of you as a big gamer, sometimes people just assume you have every system. :D

I rarely ever get videogames from people, except my parents.

I would love it if my grandma got me a Switch for christmas :(

I had a cartridge of Super Mario 64 a good 2 months before I actually got my N64 because I found it for cheap at a secondhand store and hey, even if never ended up getting the N64, it's a nice display piece on it's own (in my nonexistent opinion)

Yep, Animal Crossing: New Leaf. I got it about a month before I purchased my New 3DS XL because it was on sale for around $16.

I had a cartridge of Super Mario 64 a good 2 months before I actually got my N64 because I found it for cheap at a secondhand store and hey, even if never ended up getting the N64, it's a nice display piece on it's own (in my nonexistent opinion)

Yell hes!!!

Super Mario 64 is best

Oh yes, this thread brings back much memories from my childhood, haha!
My friend bought me Mario Kart: Double Dash because she knew that I was a Nintendo and Mario Kart fan. I was so excited when she gave it to me, yet when I got back home and looked at it, I was shocked. It was for the GameCube, waaaaaa. I only had a Wii at the time, and I didn’t want to buy a GameCube because A) the GameCube was older than the Wii, B) I didn’t feel comfortable owning two consoles, C) I didn’t have enough money, D) nobody played the GameCube anymore (back then, I was the type of person to stick to trends) and E) the Wii was much, much more popular than the GameCube and nobody owned a GameCube anymore. Although I was sad that I didn’t get to play Double Dash at the time, it was a good choice anyways because I was completely addicted to Mario Kart Wii. In all honesty, I think that the N64 and Wii had the best step-up and growth of graphics from the previous games.

When they think of you as a big gamer, sometimes people just assume you have every system. :D

This is SOOO true and relatable.

Yeah. Breath of the Wild, lol.

But my hubby managed to find a Switch a couple months later, so it all worked out in the end.

Q: Have you ever bought a game without owning the console to play it on?

A: No. I haven't done so. The reason for that is due to the fact that I don't want to give myself high hopes then ended being disappointed in the end. I was actually tempted to buy a game without owning the console to play it long ago. It was a good thing I kept telling myself over and over again not to do it. It actually felt great to not give into my temptation to buy the game. I probably would have regretted if I were to have bought it. 'Cause I am pretty sure that I might never even get the console in the first place.

Wh- why? Are you serious? No matter how much you love Animal Crossing, Amiibo Festival isn't worth your money.

To be fair, I got it for the amiibos for I think $15. So I basically bought two amiibos and got the game free, or at least that's how I look at it. ;)

You can have my Wii U.

I got bored with it after my copy of SM3DW stopped working like 2 years ago.

Haha okay, you can mail it to me.

I mean you can play Double Dash on Wii as long as you have the controller (and a memory card if you want to save).

Yeah, but I didn’t want to buy a controller and memory card because I had no money at the time, because I spent it all on controllers and games for the Wii. Well, my parents were very against me buying video games, but they made a deal with me that I had to buy games with my own money if I were to have them.

Breath of the Wild, Fire Emblem Warriors and soon Xenoblade Chronicles 2. I have yet to purchase a Switch.

And Skylanders Superchargers for a friend who had a PS4, if that counts.

Last edited:
Yeah, I can't say that I've ever done this. Then again, almost every game I play (apart from New Leaf and very small number of other 3ds games) is for the PC rather than a console. Now, have I bought games I wasn't 100% sure would run very well on my computer...yes, probably. :blush:

No, I haven't. I've always waited until I've had the console before I bought any game.

Back