• The closing ceremony for TBT's Farewell to New Leaf event has been posted! View the winning entries and other closing announcements here. Thanks for joining in on the fun and nostalgia. We'll see you this Friday night for the start of our annual Easter Egg Hunt!

Have you ever bought a game without owning the console to play it on?

xSuperMario64x

Canadian at heart 💜🇨🇦
Peach 🍑
Coconut 🥥
Bells
MEOW Coupons
StreetPass Silver
Switch
8558-0128-9692
Island
He/him
Green Bunny Balloon
Cyan Bunny Balloon
Snow Bunny
Fresh Feather
Cool Feather
I pre-ordered Super Mario Odyssey back in July, and I plan on getting the game the day it is released, but not only do I not have a Switch, I don't plan on getting one for a while... not even for Christmas.

Have you ever gotten a game even if you didn't have the console to play it on?

Yeah, I got a PS4 game LE that I didn't even had the console of because I wanted some store special goodies from Japan, no regrets though, those things are A+

I got MARIO AMD SONIC AT THE LUNDON TWENTY TWELVE OPLIMPICS GAMESa few months Before I got my 3ds... Don't worry I hogged my older siblings 3ds-s

Only time I can remember is buying steam games when my computer broke or preordering Indivisible before knowing if I'd be able to play it or not.

I bought Tales of Xillia 2 when I bought my PS4 thinking it would be backwards compatible like Nintendo stuff ><
Returned the game on the same day :')

yea I bought ffxv like a month before I got a ps4 because I found the deluxe version for like $30 lol

I didn't actually have my own 3DS for like 2 years after I bought ACNL. I used my brother's DS lol.

My copies of MK8 Deluxe and Splatoon 2 arrived the day before my Switch did. But that’s about it.

nope!! not as far as i can remember, anyway...
i am pretty iffy about things, so i prefer to get the console first

I've done it a few times, although it's hard to remember which thing it was for.
But... I uh... did also preorder Mario Odyssey, it's matching amiibo set and I've already purchased the yellow joycons, even though I have no intention of getting the switch unless they finally get their act together and actually properly and I mean not just "vague statement" commit to at least one of my favorite series, aka, Animal Crossing, Harvest Moon, Rune Factory, Fantasy Life, Paper Mario or Pokemon that isn't a boardgame/racing/button mash fighting watered down spin off.

I love the switch itself, but last time I jumped on the WiiU on launch with the total faith of a lifelong Nintendo owner only to find that no major title ever came out for any of those series (ok, there was that Mario Paper type thing but they just ruined it even further than they already had by making every attack a pay to attack type scheme instead of a proper turn based rpg levelling system like it clearly should be so it's hardly playable imo). For an entire console, that's a seriously poor showing and the only good thing about it is the virtual console availability, although I have all of those on the real original consoles too. If the switch had the same good virtual console selection, I'd probably just cave and get it for that, but it doesn't have a virtual console selection that I can see so...

Last edited:
Preordered the Switch version of BotW but I didn't get my Switch until mid-May. All that waiting for a pretty bad game is a shame tbh

I also bought a used PS2 and some games online a few years ago and Final Fantasy XII delivered the next day it felt like, so I got to stare at its box for about a week until the PS2 itself was finally delivered.

I bought Grand Theft Auto 3 for the PS2 before Christmas in 2001 because of the news circulating that they were going to ban the game and pull it from shelves. I got a PS2 for Christmas that year, but man was looking at that case on my shelf torturous.

Preordered the Switch version of BotW but I didn't get my Switch until mid-May. All that waiting for a pretty bad game is a shame tbh

You're the only person I've ever seen say that BotW was a bad game.

- - - Post Merge - - -

man was looking at that case on my shelf torturous.

I get to stare at the Super Mario Odyssey box for at least 2 months before I can play it so I'll know that feel :')

amiibo festival, don't have a wii u but buying the bundle with the game + isabelle and digby amiibo figures was cheaper than buying the figures on their own :p

y would you buy a game that you can't play on? i ain't rich, so i have to do research before i get the game.

No I have not. If I want a game for a system I do not have, I usually wait until I can buy the game and the system at the same time.

Not me, but someone (I think my mom maybe) got me a Littlest Petshop PC game that required DVD ROM back when we did not have any computers with a DVD ROM. I have a DVD ROM now, but the game didn't want to finish installing when I tried. Oh well, it would have gotten boring fast anyway.

My sister won Super Smash Bros. Brawl for the Wii in a contest, a few years before we got one.

She admitted to trying to get it to work on our GameCube. I always thought that was funny.

Yes. Mario Kart 8 Deluxe. And that was because I didn't have the money for the Switch console.

Yep! I have Amiibo Festival but I don't have a Wii U yet. I intend to get it soon though.

Back