• The closing ceremony for TBT's Farewell to New Leaf event has been posted! View the winning entries and other closing announcements here. Thanks for joining in on the fun and nostalgia. We'll see you this Friday night for the start of our annual Easter Egg Hunt!

What's the Earliest Memory in Your Life You can Recall?

We all been there welp thats life

Your earliest memory (meaning first memory) isn't something negative.

Life is negative but negativity shouldn't be the first thing one remembers in their life...

Especially if it's traumatic like Weiland said... so please... don't even go there... really...

Falling down the staircase. That's my only memory before Kindergarten.

Your earliest memory (meaning first memory) isn't something negative.

Life is negative but negativity shouldn't be the first thing one remembers in their life...

Especially if it's traumatic like Weiland said... so please... don't even go there... really...
First memories aren?t necessarily good or bad. They?re usually the first time a child loses selfishness and recognizes others experience Hebrew world differently, or any strong emotion. It?s not good or bad. It?s just whatever the brain is actually finally able to process.

Last edited:
Okay, IDK if this is just an Australian thing, but when you're young sometimes your parents would go to your school and help out, when I was in pre-school I remember my mum coming and being jealous when she was playing/helping other kids.

I also remember when I was 5ish and my family went to see the movie Up in the cinemas, we were on holiday (or vacation) and my Dad forgot the tickets so he had to go back.

I think my earliest memory is me running down my grandma's hallway, I was 1. I know it really happened because there's picture evidence. Another early memory is me eating Oreos and milk for breakfast and my mom brought me to my grandma and I would blow her kisses out the window and after that I noticed I had a piece of Oreo near my mouth and I cried and told my grandma and she tried to take it off but I cried because I wanted my mom to come back and take it off, so she called my mom and she came back just to do that, I think I was 2.

Being baptized as a 1-year-old. I remember looking at the side of the "gold giant bowl" and thinking that the water felt nice. That's about it.

I think one of my earliest memories was when I was falling asleep in a school assembly when I was 6-7, and then being taken to a little library corner we had in our classroom by a teacher so I could nap in peace, lol. I'm always taking naps at the most inconvienent times, even in my adult life.

Last edited:
when my sister was about to be born (i was 2 i think), i remember everything leading up to her birth, the mistake the bus driver made, what i was wearing, which room it was, who i was with, all vivid.

There are a couple of early things I can remember, but I have no idea what order they happened in. I'm pretty sure these all happened before I turned 5, though.
- Playing my older brother's Super Mario Bros. game. Even to this day, I cannot get very far in that.
- Playing on my older brother's Gamegear. I remember a Lion King game, a Sonic game, and something else...
- My older brother taking me to a game store where he traded one of his Gamegear games for a different one.
- My preschool. One day at recess, I stepped in an ant hill with sandals on and screamed and ran around and I've been afraid of ants ever since. Also, there was this open field of grass next to the building that is now where a Publix is.
- Thinking my sister/stepsister's (I don't know which she is) mom looked scary.
- One day, I woke up crying because I realized it wasn't my birthday anymore. (It had been the day before)
- Owning a Furby, being excited to get a second one for Christmas, having a nightmare that one wanted to eat me, and mom gave them all to Goodwill.
- Buying a Beanie Baby cat in a mall and going down an elevator with it in a paper bag. I don't remember which Beanie Baby cat it even was.
- Playing this game called Pooh Sticks (Based on a game Winnie the Pooh plays) on an old computer that never had any kind of internet connection before it broke. I still wonder how it got installed on it. (Floppy disc..?)

playing pokemon emerald for the first time behind the couch so my grandma couldn't see me. it was right before church too so i was all dressed up but i wanted to stay home and play games.
i think i was 4, maybe?

My earliest memory is of a recurring nightmare I used to have where I was trapped in the back of my house with an alien. The alien is like, in no way scary to me as an adult, it was just like a child-sized space suit wearing man with like antennae, but the situation of the dream was what messed me up. Everything in the dream was green, like instead of black and white it was black and green. Anyways it was one of those dreams where you try to scream but your voice just comes out really weak and raspy and powerless, and when you try to run you have no strength and it's like you're swimming through molasses in slow motion. I think I was like, 4 when I had this dream.

drawing potato people on my table
though my mind could've made that up i like to think its true

I can remember me finding a way out of my crib and crawling to my door. It was Christmas time and my mom was sitting near the tree. She looked up at me and said "Oh, how did you get out?! You need to be in your crib!" And put me back. Don't even know how old I was lol.

I then don't remember anything else until about 4 years old.

Falling down the stairs into the garage, crying, and my mom coming to the rescue.

For some weird reason I can remember my childhood really well. (but my short term memory is actually terrible).
The earliest memory I had was being brought home from the hospital. My mom even has a picture of it and I'm just like I weirdly remember that brief moment. All I remember though was being in my moms arms in the car, it was raining and cold, and I was falling in and out of sleepiness. I don't remember anything else that happened before or after that. I have a lot of other childhood memories that I remember post infancy but the one I just mentioned is the earliest i can possibly remember

The earliest memory I remember was my sister said that I was too much of a baby to drink out of actual cups, and I couldn't take that so I went into the kitchen in our old house and asked my mom to trade in my sippy cup, for an actual cup (I still remember the cup, it had Princess Belle on it) and as I was drinking it my mom said, "Now that you can drink out of big girl cups, you can't drink from sippy cups anymore." And I cried.

Last edited:
I was about a year old, and I was in the car. We were picking my cousin up from school and I remember looking at her and she was looking at me.

We both remember it, so I'm pretty sure it's accurate.

Three memories. I don't remember which of these came first, but I was either 4, 5, or 6 when it happened.

-Hitting my head hard somewhere in the house. Apparently it was really bloody and it was a major injury. My head's fine now, luckily.
-Putting a nerd candy up my nose. If I recall correctly, the candy was either pink or purple. I remember whenever I breathed through my nose it would feel weird. I had to go somewhere to get that out. Apparently I did it AGAIN months later.
-A bad dream. It's really hard to explain, but it was red all over and you had to prevent this staring zombie head from scaring you. It was like a video game almost, because there was this game over screen. There used to be an old SpongeBob game I played on the computer, where you would have to dodge obstacles and reach the Krusty Krab. If you messed something up this loud noise would play and realistic jellyfish(kind of like metroids) would appear on the screen. It really terrified me as a kid. The dream I had was kind of like that. When the zombie scared me it would play the same loud noise that was in the SpongeBob game. The game over screen would be similar, with the jellyfish and everything, except it was all red. Unlike most bad dreams, where I would keep on suffering until I woke up, in this dream I actually WON, and somehow managed to tame the zombie head. I have not had a bad dream where I won in the end since then.

These are just the memories I can remember at the top of my head.

Back