Digital Artists: Recommend Me a Painting Software

saehanfox

K-Fox
Bells
Eggs
Old Eggs
I'm currently a traditional artist but need to start going digital (because my portfolio is starting to get too thick). I have a Wacom tablet. Recommend me digital art software. I heard of Firealpaca, Paint Tool Sai, Photoshop, and Krita. Which of those should I choose and are there any other good ones you would recommend?

This might be better in the museum board, as theres digital app thread there.

Either way, fire alpaca is what I use. Does the job, the watercolour tool is nice. I recommend trying all till you find one that you like. I've used PS and Sai, but firealpaca is very nice and simple, which is better for what I use digital for, just sketches. PS to me was a little TOO feature heavy, that is became a bit hard to get into. Sai is similar to Firealpaca, I just like Firealpaca more.

I would start with FireAlpaca tbh, it's free and I think it's a really nice software, having used Photoshop and PaintToolSAI in the past, I actually am pretty comfortable in FireAlpaca. Most of my art friends really like PaintToolSAI so if you're looking for a nice paid software I'd go for that.

Im with the people here on fire alpaca. simple and has all the things you need to start. Ive tried kirta but its too...complex?

Just use fire alpaca. Good starter, easy to learn and a great program overall.

I personally prefer Paint Tool SAI and Photoshop.

Photoshop is really good for finishing touches or if you happen to make a lot of graphics. I rarely use it for drawing. I will say Photoshop is probably the hardest to learn; it can be very overwhelming to anyone new to it. I personally use it for effects, text, basically anything non-drawing related. It's also a bit heavy on your computer/laptop. I've seen people use it for drawing but you would have to download brushes to properly use it.

SAI's pretty great for me in terms of drawing and coloring. There's tutorial videos on how to use it but most of it you learn along the way. It already comes with a ton of brushes and drawing has been so easy for me. It doesn't use as much space on my laptop (I have an older laptop). It's my favorite.

I've also tried ArtRage Lite which is pretty good. Some Wacom tablets come with it. I've tried FireAlpaca but felt more comfortable with SAI. Good luck!

medibang paint and clip studio paint are pretty good imo
i use SAI and it;s my favourite

Back