• The closing ceremony for TBT's Farewell to New Leaf event has been posted! View the winning entries and other closing announcements here. Thanks for joining in on the fun and nostalgia. We'll see you this Friday night for the start of our annual Easter Egg Hunt!

rpm

i used to not mind the topics of conversation that much because i found them interesting and liked to share my input n whatever but they all typically end up the same way; a nest harbouring negativity and conflict and chaos
@op, sorry to hear you feel so uncomfortable sometimes, only solution i can suggest is if you find particular users who post things that you're not okay with, the ignore button might be a good call.

Last edited:
I agree. People say a lot of hurtful, annoying, or just stupid stuff on here, and act like it's nothing.

Tbh if I keep seeing this stuff I might start to migrate away from this forum. I get on here to socialize with people, but if they're gonna be immature then I don't want to associate with them.

dude just don't go on brewster's

Some people unfortunately go too far with certain comments and what could have potentially been a mature debate or discussion turns into an argument. People get far too comfortable with hiding behind a computer screen and take that as an excuse to be brutally honest in their opinions - too honest, sometimes. I go online with the same approach I'd take in person: if it's not polite to say to someone's face it's probably not polite to say it on a public forum either. It's never the topics that lead to certain threads (i.e. transgender issues) being locked: it's how the user base handles them that is the problem. If people could bite their tongues a little more often, or take a break from a thread when they get angry and then come back to it later, these threads would be allowed to run their course.

I'm going to talk about the period thread here as (a) it's very recent and (b) it was a thread the OP disliked. It is very common to be uncomfortable discussing natural bodily functions, just like some people are not comfortable talking about sex. It doesn't mean that those people are immature, it just means they don't feel comfortable speaking about it. And that's fine. But we allow the people who do wish to talk about these things the opportunity to do so as long as they aren't posting offensive content or insulting each other.

Some people unfortunately go too far with certain comments and what could have potentially been a mature debate or discussion turns into an argument. People get far too comfortable with hiding behind a computer screen and take that as an excuse to be brutally honest in their opinions - too honest, sometimes. I go online with the same approach I'd take in person: if it's not polite to say to someone's face it's probably not polite to say it on a public forum either. It's never the topics that lead to certain threads (i.e. transgender issues) being locked: it's how the user base handles them that is the problem. If people could bite their tongues a little more often, or take a break from a thread when they get angry and then come back to it later, these threads would be allowed to run their course.

I'm going to talk about the period thread here as (a) it's very recent and (b) it was a thread the OP disliked. It is very common to be uncomfortable discussing natural bodily functions, just like some people are not comfortable talking about sex. It doesn't mean that those people are immature, it just means they don't feel comfortable speaking about it. And that's fine. But we allow the people who do wish to talk about these things the opportunity to do so as long as they aren't posting offensive content or insulting each other.

I really dislike that sort of thing, half of the people who bully people on here are cowards. All bullies are cowards actually, however it's even more cowardice of them to be the big tough person behind the computer screen and not in reality. They wouldn't make a sound usually.

Last edited:
The bold area honestly perfectly describes me. And I'm really, really starting to hate myself for it. Like the older I get the worse I get. The more I think "why are you so modest jfc nobody else is like that."
Like I honestly don't really care what others do but I have been bothered my whole life and I don't really have an outlet to express my own thoughts so it's like no matter where I go I will never fit in with regular society--

Sry I'm being immature, I know. I can't help it, I'm an immature person who can't handle petty things that normal people don't really care about.
I'm sorry I ever made this thread, Ik I'm no good and don't deserve what others have to offer. I'm gonna request to lock this thread now and go hide away like an immature person would.
Look, it?s okay to be immature. It?s another thing entirely to try and suppress other people. Have your own opinions all you want, but you?re clear purpose from the OP was to find validation for your vindication. Don?t make your own personal feelings others problems. By trying to silence this ?adult? talk you?re actually causing harm. We need to become open about discussing these things. It?s the reality many people have to face, and not something that can be swept under the rug because it makes us uncomfortable. You need to discuss these topics because if you don?t you?re remaining complacent with the ignorant sexual education many people receive that is detrimental to both their mental and physical health.

Look, it?s okay to be immature. It?s another thing entirely to try and suppress other people. Have your own opinions all you want, but you?re clear purpose from the OP was to find validation for your vindication. Don?t make your own personal feelings others problems. By trying to silence this ?adult? talk you?re actually causing harm. We need to become open about discussing these things. It?s the reality many people have to face, and not something that can be swept under the rug because it makes us uncomfortable. You need to discuss these topics because if you don?t you?re remaining complacent with the ignorant sexual education many people receive that is detrimental to both their mental and physical health.

Hey man, I think you're being way too aggressive and misunderstanding op's point of view. She isn't trying to suppress others, she's just upset that there's discussions that make her uncomfortable on what she assumed would be a comfy spot due to being on a forum about a childrens game. Is op responsible for the lack of education on sexual health? No. Is op responsible for the lack of knowledge about mental health? No.

You need to discuss these topics because if you don?t you?re remaining complacent with the ignorant sexual education many people receive that is detrimental to both their mental and physical health.

Maybe you need to learn more about mental health, maybe you need to learn more about the vast variety of problems people can experience due to mental problems. While I don't mean to be rude to you or op, op is OBVIOUSLY experiencing an unusual level of discomfort, have you considered perhaps op has a mental health problem that would cause them to experience obsessive thought patterns, so a far more intense discomfort than a normal person experiences might be attached to 'trigger topics'?

While I def think it's ops own responsibility to avoid things that make them uncomfortable, I think you're putting malicious intent here where there's none. No need to be so rude and say she HAS TO LOOK AT THIS THING THAT'S CAUSING OBVIOUS EXTREME DISTRESS. (do mind my use of extreme, by extreme in this instance I mean it is far beyond what's to be expected in this instance, not that it is the most extreme version of discomfort possible)

I did notice a lot of drama going on in the transgender/are you straight threads. I'm not sure I saw any "jokes", but that's probably because I didn't read every page. I know I've been banned a couple of times for getting too comfortable with my words here, but it was in the Basement/a discussion about restocks. I think a lot of people forget that there are younger members here as well as members that get offended by jokes about gender or sexual preference. Issi made a thread about whether or not posters in Brewster's should try to be nicer, and I think they should. Bottom line: Even if you think it's funny, there's likely a lot of others who don't.

Last edited:
Hey man, I think you're being way too aggressive and misunderstanding op's point of view. She isn't trying to suppress others, she's just upset that there's discussions that make her uncomfortable on what she assumed would be a comfy spot due to being on a forum about a childrens game. Is op responsible for the lack of education on sexual health? No. Is op responsible for the lack of knowledge about mental health? No.

Maybe you need to learn more about mental health, maybe you need to learn more about the vast variety of problems people can experience due to mental problems. While I don't mean to be rude to you or op, op is OBVIOUSLY experiencing an unusual level of discomfort, have you considered perhaps op has a mental health problem that would cause them to experience obsessive thought patterns, so a far more intense discomfort than a normal person experiences might be attached to 'trigger topics'?

While I def think it's ops own responsibility to avoid things that make them uncomfortable, I think you're putting malicious intent here where there's none. No need to be so rude and say she HAS TO LOOK AT THIS THING THAT'S CAUSING OBVIOUS EXTREME DISTRESS. (do mind my use of extreme, by extreme in this instance I mean it is far beyond what's to be expected in this instance, not that it is the most extreme version of discomfort possible)
I think I was pretty cordial. Just because I didn’t agree with OP’s views doesn’t necessarily make me hate or be hostile to the OP. There’s a difference, and we have to be open to criticism. I apologize if I seemed angry. I’m not. I’ll admt I am a bit passionate about sexual health.

Mental illness is an explanation, not an excuse. It doesn’t expmpt people from being harmful to others. This is something that needs to be discussed. Letting sexual heath topics continue to be stigmatized as “uncomfortable” and “private” is directly harmful. By normalizing the topic we normalize th individuals who experience it. People taking about it also helps them realize what is normal and what isn’t. A lot of people miss out on much needed doctor evulations because they’re too embarrassed to see one, or don’t even realize what’s going on isn’t normal. There’s also a scary high rate of STI’s for the elderly and LBTQA community because they’re not educated in how to protect themselves. Talking about these topics helps solve these problems.

I think I was pretty cordial. Just because I didn?t agree with OP?s views doesn?t necessarily make me hate or be hostile to the OP. There?s a difference, and we have to be open to criticism. I apologize if I seemed angry. I?m not. I?ll admt I am a bit passionate about sexual health.

Mental illness is an explanation, not an excuse. It doesn?t expmpt people from being harmful to others. This is something that needs to be discussed. Letting sexual heath topics continue to be stigmatized as ?uncomfortable? and ?private? is directly harmful. By normalizing the topic we normalize th individuals who experience it. People taking about it also helps them realize what is normal and what isn?t. A lot of people miss out on much needed doctor evulations because they?re too embarrassed to see one, or don?t even realize what?s going on isn?t normal. There?s also a scary high rate of STI?s for the elderly and LBTQA community because they?re not educated in how to protect themselves. Talking about these topics helps solve these problems.

Yeah, but why does this individual NEED to participate in this conversation if she doesn't want to? She doesn't have to. And yeah, you're just going to disagree, but people do not need to engage in conversations they don't want to. I don't go to an icecream parlor to have the gal at the counter explain genital herpes to me, do I? I'd honestly say this is not disimilar, op expected a childrens friendly forum, they did not get that.

Now, I don't want to talk about OP too much, because I'm not them, I don't know them, and I don't get to talk about their private affairs - but, she doesn't have to talk about these things, one girl being made uncomfortable by sex talk? Is that really the greatest evil in society?

Besides, not being aggressive?

It?s another thing entirely to try and suppress other people. Have your own opinions all you want, but you?re clear purpose from the OP was to find validation for your vindication.

Yeah alright mate, if that's your idea of friendly correction I don't want to be around when you're actually aggressive.

Bottom line

No matter how strongly you may feel about it- you are not entitled to having others listen to you. And that's fine, you don't have to listen to me either. Is op's ignorance giving the elderly STI's? well gee I sure hope not.

If there's a forum with a sense of anonymity, there will always be some insecure person looking for an easy ego boost. That shouldn't silence other people though. I'm happy that we can be open about these kind of topics that are forbidden in a lot of places. One bad comment shouldn't taint the community that was built on here.

Generally speaking, Belltreeforums is one of the biggest and kindest forum I've ever had the pleasure of being a part of. I browse the forums on a lot of other websites and people will write a lot of messed up stuff if they're lonely enough. Of course those type of people are disturbing, but it's not like people are inherently evil and can't change. Just continue to call these things out and everything will be fine.

im kind of tired of the threads on sensitive issues in the first place. idk.

- - - Post Merge - - -

after skimming though some responses to this thread, lemme elaborate.

this is a forum on a kids game so when i see threads about sensitive issues it just doesn't feel like the right place. especially with negativity that might follow. i think discussions and stuff are okay but when people start debating and arguing and all that nonsense comes up it's just... let's stop now lol. i know there are a **** ton of opinions on here that i dont agree with and might be overall ignorant/hurtful but i just.. i think we should try to not Start anything or try to argue w/ ppl we disagree with because thats when all the problems arise. overall, like i said in the beginning, i just don't feel like an ac forum is the place for all that debate. that's all i'm really getting at tbh.

it's okay for you to feel uncomfortable w/ certain topics. i know i am. if you don't like seeing things in your activity feed n such i suggest you unfriend them or put them on the ignore list. and try not to go looking at threads you know might distress you (which can be hard sometimes ik lol sometimes i'll go look at things i Know will rile me up). i'm sorry you're getting distressed by all this stuff :v i probably would too if i weren't offline so much recently

ngl the responses on this thread r kind of confusing me but maybe it's just bc im tired rn

The obvious answer here is to not read through them.

There are plenty of threads on this forum that are more innocent. If you choose to read through threads and posts that aren't so innocent, then it's not really anybody's fault but your own. Sensitivity is a valid feeling, but your sensitivity doesn't have to have an impact on other people and their conversational interests.

im kind of tired of the threads on sensitive issues in the first place. idk.

- - - Post Merge - - -

after skimming though some responses to this thread, lemme elaborate.

this is a forum on a kids game so when i see threads about sensitive issues it just doesn't feel like the right place. especially with negativity that might follow. i think discussions and stuff are okay but when people start debating and arguing and all that nonsense comes up it's just... let's stop now lol. i know there are a **** ton of opinions on here that i dont agree with and might be overall ignorant/hurtful but i just.. i think we should try to not Start anything or try to argue w/ ppl we disagree with because thats when all the problems arise. overall, like i said in the beginning, i just don't feel like an ac forum is the place for all that debate. that's all i'm really getting at tbh.

it's okay for you to feel uncomfortable w/ certain topics. i know i am. if you don't like seeing things in your activity feed n such i suggest you unfriend them or put them on the ignore list. and try not to go looking at threads you know might distress you (which can be hard sometimes ik lol sometimes i'll go look at things i Know will rile me up). i'm sorry you're getting distressed by all this stuff :v i probably would too if i weren't offline so much recently

ngl the responses on this thread r kind of confusing me but maybe it's just bc im tired rn

A lot of people are saying that just because this is an Animal Crossing forum that it can't be anything else, but it specifically states that the Brewster's is for unrelated/general discussions so it's obviously going to have an array of topics. It's not like you weren't warned? :/ Should we lock this side of the forum to +21? There are not only kids here, but a variety of other ages as well. If you don't feel comfortable, just glance at the title and choose not to comment/read.

All I'm gonna say is I hope people aren't actually including the period threads or LGBT threads when they say "adult topics" or whatever because like

On periods: My mom had her first when she was eleven, my sister when she was nine. Considering most people get theirs during their teenage years at the latest there's definitely nothing "adult" about it and I'd even go as far as to say the threads are kind of a good thing? Like sure there's seemingly been an excessive amount of period threads on here but on the other hand it's good that young girls (who make up a decent chunk of this site's userbase) who have questions can get direct answers, especially if they're too embarrassed to ask a relative, and that's if they even have relatives to ask in the first place.

If you think it's gross or inappropriate then you need to grow up and/or just not interact with the thread. No one's forcing anyone to participate in anything. I understand not enjoying LGBT/race/political threads due to the reasons I said before but as for topics like this, they're harmless. It's no different from a thread about idk growing pains or your face being itchy because you're 14 and just now growing a moustache or other puberty related happenings.

On LGBT topics: I've already made a comment about them but being LGBT is not an adult thing. There is nothing adult about being LGBT. There are gay kids, bi kids, trans kids, lesbian and nonbinary kids, the whole shabang. To insinuate that LGBT topics are "adult" only contributes to the stigma that LGBT people are inherently NSFW and reduces us to sexual objects, as well as suggests that the "poor innocent children need to be protected from the sex-obsessed gays". Plus alike to the period threads it's important that LGBT children get answers to all the questions they have about themselves.

Topics on LGBT identities and LGBT rights can be sensitive, sure, but there's nothing not-child-friendly about them and they're definitely not "adult". As everyone's stated before if they're too heavy of a read for you then just don't participate.

Last edited:
I can't say much, I choose not to participate, much less even read, something that could possibly make me upset. I rather not trouble myself with other people's uneducated opinions on sensitive matters, if I have to be honest. If something on this forum is making you upset or you think it's a bit inappropriate because it is degrading into people insulting each other or being just plain rude and vile, report the post. Like Gyro said above, LGBT isn't "adult," and neither are having periods, so that shouldn't be the problem here. The problem is people disagreeing with other people's opinions in very immature or rude ways, or people attacking someone on having a different opinion without having a civil disagreement. It has nothing at all to do with the topics, rather the way people are arguing. I'm not saying people should post more topics on it, there is nothing stopping them for sure, but be wary of the people that populate the forums, that's all.

Yeah, but why does this individual NEED to participate in this conversation if she doesn't want to? She doesn't have to. And yeah, you're just going to disagree, but people do not need to engage in conversations they don't want to. I don't go to an icecream parlor to have the gal at the counter explain genital herpes to me, do I? I'd honestly say this is not disimilar, op expected a childrens friendly forum, they did not get that.

Now, I don't want to talk about OP too much, because I'm not them, I don't know them, and I don't get to talk about their private affairs - but, she doesn't have to talk about these things, one girl being made uncomfortable by sex talk? Is that really the greatest evil in society?

Besides, not being aggressive?

Yeah alright mate, if that's your idea of friendly correction I don't want to be around when you're actually aggressive.

Bottom line

No matter how strongly you may feel about it- you are not entitled to having others listen to you. And that's fine, you don't have to listen to me either. Is op's ignorance giving the elderly STI's? well gee I sure hope not.
Yes, OP does need to. For the exact reason I stated. It?s HIGHLY stigmitized. Allowing people to opt out simply because they?re uncomfortable with the topic isn?t going to do anything to solve it. It?s by making sexual health a normalized concept and deconstructed the prejudice people like OP have built around it that makes a widespread change. OP?s ignfornace might not directly give someone an STI, but it will hinder their access to education that may have prevented it from happening.

To be completely honest, you?re being far more aggressive than I am, which is a bit ironic considering you have a problem with how I am addressing the OP.

Last edited:
Hmm, I think >this< might be a helpful resource for you in the future.

However to make a more immediate correction, the opinion you have mistaken for a fact is that

What you meant to say was
Never mind, you’ve resorted to just condescending insults now. I won’t engage with you any further as you’ve decided to be childish and disrespectful.

Back