• The closing ceremony for TBT's Farewell to New Leaf event has been posted! View the winning entries and other closing announcements here. Thanks for joining in on the fun and nostalgia. We'll see you this Friday night for the start of our annual Easter Egg Hunt!

i need a hobby

cIementine

Orange 🍊
Lychee 🍇
Bells
MEOW Coupons
StreetPass Silver
Switch
3641-2793-6219
My Melody Easter Egg
My Melody Easter Egg
My Melody Easter Egg
My Melody Easter Egg
My Melody Easter Egg
My Melody Easter Egg
My Melody Easter Egg
My Melody Easter Egg
My Melody Easter Egg
My Melody Easter Egg
i currently do piano lessons as an extracurricular and i honestly don't enjoy it. i dread lessons every week, don't feel motivated to practise and am not dedicated to or interested enough in it to continue to do exams in it. i plan to quit lessons once i've done my exam next month, but once i quit that, i will have no extracurricular activities, and as i near the prospect of college and university, hobbies will be an important asset when making me stand out amongst others.

i'm looking for suggestions for hobbies/extracurriculars that will both be enjoyable for me and make me stand out. if it helps, i am 15, almost 16, live in the uk, and want to pursue psychology or law (haven't decided yet) in college and university.

Play a MMO. Get into it.

- H

oh hey someone else interested in doing psychology who dislikes piano lessons kfjhfkjhf

if u enjoy it, maybe try writing smth or drawing smth? even if you dont post it anywhere or if ur just starting out, it can be fun to do those things! (90% of my doodles dont make it past my sketchbook haha) plus both of these are really cheap so u dont have to put money into it unless u enjoy it!

oh hey someone else interested in doing psychology who dislikes piano lessons kfjhfkjhf

if u enjoy it, maybe try writing smth or drawing smth? even if you dont post it anywhere or if ur just starting out, it can be fun to do those things! (90% of my doodles dont make it past my sketchbook haha) plus both of these are really cheap so u dont have to put money into it unless u enjoy it!

maybe it's a thing amongst those interested in psychology !!
i really enjoy writing so that's good advice, thank you! also something that i could take further (e.g writing for the school newspaper etc) and talk about in an interview or application

Hmm, in terms of assets to make you stand out on a college application, its a bit hard to think of something in regards to law. Any management of a group would probably look good. Maybe you should take up a language, I know its more of a thing for business students, but even a most basic understanding of Chinese would put you head and shoulders above others.

As for psychology, I don't know what skills would put you ahead in this field, but its less competitive than law anyway.

maybe it's a thing amongst those interested in psychology !!
i really enjoy writing so that's good advice, thank you! also something that i could take further (e.g writing for the school newspaper etc) and talk about in an interview or application

yeye go for it!! esp given that (from what i heard, im in yr11 so i still dont actually know 100% yet haha) pyshology has a LOT of essay writing, if you enjoy writing aout topics ur interested in then this will be good for pyscology! ^^

- - - Post Merge - - -

Hmm, in terms of assets to make you stand out on a college application, its a bit hard to think of something in regards to law. Any management of a group would probably look good. Maybe you should take up a language, I know its more of a thing for business students, but even a most basic understanding of Chinese would put you head and shoulders above others.

As for psychology, I don't know what skills would put you ahead in this field, but its less competitive than law anyway.

ooh, and learning a language would be good too! if you enjoy it then you can use it later on and its v useful!

i'm currently taking french so might consider taking it further! thank you

yeye go for it!! esp given that (from what i heard, im in yr11 so i still dont actually know 100% yet haha) pyshology has a LOT of essay writing, if you enjoy writing aout topics ur interested in then this will be good for pyscology! ^^

- - - Post Merge - - -

ooh, and learning a language would be good too! if you enjoy it then you can use it later on and its v useful!

i'm in year 11 too, hence the sudden realisation i have nothing much to write on the 'tell me about yourself' sections on all the things i'll be applying for in the foreseeable future lol. essay based subjects are my favourites and my strongest so i plan on taking english lit, psychology, law and biology for a level (then dropping one based on whether i decide i prefer law or psychology)

i'm in year 11 too, hence the sudden realisation i have nothing much to write on the 'tell me about yourself' sections on all the things i'll be applying for in the foreseeable future lol. essay based subjects are my favourites and my strongest so i plan on taking english lit, psychology, law and biology for a level (then dropping one based on whether i decide i prefer law or psychology)
god i didnt even think about that hhhhhh im gonna have a fun time. if ur taking english lit then potentially try and read more books? ur looking for things that will ake u stand out against the other applicants so take that into consideration? like for me im planning to take computer science, so im trying to get better at python (albeit we do it in class anyway but) so i can show that im interested in it and willing to put my own time into it

You could learn to crochet or knit. Studies do show it helps with anxiety and stress, and you get to make awesome things! There are so many tutorials, and the people on Ravelry are great to ask for help.

I find I would rather try something that doesn't involve that much mind power. When you hit post secondary, I always wanted to do something that didn't require thinking!

I'm from Canada, so the only thing that really matters are your marks to get into post-secondary. If your looking to set yourself apart from other people, maybe get involved and volunteer?

Last edited:
If you enjoy playing instruments but just not the piano, get an otamatone. If YouTube videos are anything to go off, it will be the best purchase you have ever made. Mine is in the post (but unfortunately it isn't the Deluxe edition which is a little larger and sounds better).

If you enjoy playing instruments but just not the piano, get an otamatone. If YouTube videos are anything to go off, it will be the best purchase you have ever made. Mine is in the post (but unfortunately it isn't the Deluxe edition which is a little larger and sounds better).

no offense but PLEASE dont if you live with family members. my sister has one and it drives me insane and gives me headaches with the relentless playing SO

hit the gym m8

jk but the suggestions people gave were pretty much what i was gonna suggest. all awesome hobbies

Do a hobby that earns you back good skills imo. Reading/Writing, Photography, sports etc. I recommend against gaming or unproductive activities.

I do figure skating and I love it!
A less expensive option could be writing for your school newspaper or doing school year book. You could also do yoga, beginner dance classes, zumba, or volunteer at a local humane society. I was really involved with my local humane society in high school and organized donation events within my neighbor hood and volunteered at a bunch of fun events they would put on like bake sales and craft fairs!

I think some other artistic medium would be really neat, especially something like sculpting or drawing/painting. You could definitely tie in your interest in psychology into that. Also I know a lot of counselors/psychiatrists that use things like that to help their patients so it might be a good thing to get versed in anyways! Writing would also be neat, and you can also tie the two together, I've actually been writing a story about a criminally insane asylum and it's been really fun exploring different disorders and stuff for it. =D

- - - Post Merge - - -

My dogs hate it. But it's my favorite thing ever.

Read! Like.. books, articles, poetry etc. in whatever preferred language. Not only gives you hella ridesand experiences but also expands your vocabulary really good which is I'm sure very useful.

Also dig into old/obscure music, find a game you really like and expand your interest and time into that, draw etc.

Back