What's Making You Happy?

Found this the other day. It's Arrian, a ancient Greek historian talking about his dog.

While I am at home she remains by my side, and accompanies me when I go out, following me to the gymnasium, and, while I am exercising, sits by me. On my return home, she runs in front of me, often looking to see whether I had turned off the road; and as soon as she catches sight of me, shows symptoms of joy, and again, turns and trots in front of me. If I am going out on any government business, she remains with my friend, and treats him exactly the same. If she has not seen either of us for a short time, she jumps up repeatedly by way of greeting, and barks with joy. At meals she pats us, with one foot and the other, to remind us to feed fer.

Having been beaten with a whip as a puppy, if anyone, even to this day, mentions a whip, she will come up to the speaker cowering and begging, and will jump up and hang on their neck, applying her mouth to theirs as if to kiss them, and will not let go until she is appeased.

Now really I do not think that I should be ashamed to write the name of this dog; so that it may be left to posterity.

had a greyhound named Horme, who was of the greatest speed and intelligence and, was altogether excellent.

This is the first time I have found myself relating to someone who lived almost 2000 years ago. I think it's a good reminder that the people from history textbooks are just like you and I, something that may be easy to forget sometimes.

Last edited:
Back