• The closing ceremony for TBT's Farewell to New Leaf event has been posted! View the winning entries and other closing announcements here. Thanks for joining in on the fun and nostalgia. We'll see you this Friday night for the start of our annual Easter Egg Hunt!

Breath of the Wild amiibo rant

UglyMonsterFace

Arize from Azulon
Apple 🍎
Durian 🌽
Bells
MEOW Coupons
StreetPass Silver
Pearl-Oyster Shell Plush
Pink Moon Jellyfish
Blue Moon Jellyfish
Green Moon Jellyfish
Pearl-Oyster Shell Plush
Dino Plush
Bee Plush
Mom's Plush
Sheep Plush
Celeste Chick Plush
So I just realised that a lot of items/content are locked behind the Zelda amiibos, such as Epona and certain weapons/shields etc. Now I would have been okay if those amiibos were still being sold in stores for a decent price, but they are all discontinued. The only way to get them is to purchase them from scalpers online. I was about to suck it up and buy them anyway, but then I saw the prices... They go up to $80 per amiibo.... That's insane! Why put all this cool content in amiibos without reopening sales? They would profit so much if they just rereleased all the amiibos since Breath of the Wild is still their biggest game at the moment. At this moment, it's the scalpers that are profiting, and not Nintendo. I'm upset because I want to finish my game at 100% completion, but I can't if I don't have all the gear and Epona from the amiibos.

Is anybody else upset by this?

Last edited:
That's insane considering they are hardly released nor retired yet. I got Archer Link for $25 which itself is pretty expensive here lol for use in NL but uh yeah unless it's like a series 1 rare that's a scam

No, I'm not upset. I bought the amiibo directly from Nintendo in the UK for RRP. I would never pay a scalper price, that merely encourages that market.

Having used my amiibo, they don't give you anything better than what is in the game. None of the weapons and armour are as good. Nothing. You can't even add the weapons to your compendium.

I've completed the game and would not say that the amiibo give you any advantage, just cosmetic items.

Just enjoy the game. It's good, no amiibo necessary. ;)

That's insane considering they are hardly released nor retired yet. I got Archer Link for $25 which itself is pretty expensive here lol for use in NL but uh yeah unless it's like a series 1 rare that's a scam
I am not particularly upset on this subject, however I can totally see why people would be annoyed.

I am not particularly upset on this subject, however I can totally see why people would be annoyed.

Yeah, go rob a bank...

But yeah it's pretty insane for an amiibo that is new.. Like they hardly release them a lot where I live and if they do they are "lol hi scam price bye"

No, I'm not upset. I bought the amiibo directly from Nintendo in the UK for RRP. I would never pay a scalper price, that merely encourages that market.

Having used my amiibo, they don't give you anything better than what is in the game. None of the weapons and armour are as good. Nothing. You can't even add the weapons to your compendium.

I've completed the game and would not say that the amiibo give you any advantage, just cosmetic items.

Just enjoy the game. It's good, no amiibo necessary. ;)

Oh, I was under the impression my compendium would be incomplete without them. I suppose that makes me feel better lol

Older amiibo also work with the game if you have any of them or can locate them cheap. My Dad unlocked Epona using my Link amiibo from the Super Smash Bros line.

:)

Last edited:
Older amiibo also work with the game if you have any of them or can locate them cheap. My Dad unlocked Epona using my Link amiibo from the Super Smash Bros line.

:)
Yeah, a lot of the old Sm4sh series amiibos work with different games, such as this and New Leaf (the Wolf Link and BoTW also works with NL).

I never see any of the BoW amiibo in my area. They were only around for a couple of weeks after the game came out and then they disappeared. I'd consider getting one of the Guardian amiibo, but they just sell for ridiculous prices online. I have been hoping to preorder some of the champion amiibo for the holiday dlc, since that seems to be the only way to get them at a normal price.

Last edited:
the only botw I've ever seen in stock locally is the bokoblin. (big whup)
I find amiibos for botw overrated. For the most part the gear they drop isn't that great. It disappoints me as well that Epona's stats aren't maxxed. I've found better horses than her wild in the game.
I do want the skyward sword and twilight princess outfits though, but it's EXTREMELY frustrating that you can't get one not for a scalp price.

I'm not going to lie, but I've been searching for Archer Link for sooooo bloody long, because I really want to get the Master Sword in Skyrim, and obviously for Breath of the Wild, so when you said they were discontinued, I was super curious and when to go check on Nintendo's website (Canada). When I checked for the Retailers, it said Amazon (HECK NO I AINT BUYING NO 100$ PIECE OF PLASTIC), AND... Best Buy! I was actually shocked; for once they had it in stock, and I finally managed to order one. I mean it costed 34$ CDN instead of 28$, but that's shipping so meh. I'm not sure where you live, but if it's in North America, if you haven't yet, go look at Best Buy. You'd be surprised by what's in stock and all you will have to pay is shipping, which is WAY better than paying cruddy scalper prices. Like I'm surprised that my local Best Buy has Neon Switches in stock, so yeah you never know.

I wouldn't say they discontinued the BOTW amiibo; it's a marketing strategy. You purposely make shortages (or you're terribly understaffed) and until you know it, everyone wants them because they are too hard to find. I only really want the amiibo for Skyrim, but amiibos like Archer Link don't give much in BOTW other than 1 to 3 Ancient arrows, so don't worry too much (And none of the items are needed in the Hyrule Compendium so you're good). It sucks Nintendo always makes shortages, but that's business I guess :/

- - - Post Merge - - -

I find amiibos for botw overrated. For the most part the gear they drop isn't that great. It disappoints me as well that Epona's stats aren't maxxed. I've found better horses than her wild in the game.
I do want the skyward sword and twilight princess outfits though, but it's EXTREMELY frustrating that you can't get one not for a scalp price.

Actually, the Twilight Princess outfit comes from the Smash Bros. Link amiibo, and is available the day after you used it for Epona.

I think I've been misunderstood. I meant that the other Zelda amiibos have been discontinued - as in the older ones that still unlock things like Epona, etc. But I never bought the old ones and now they're only available through scalpers. I'm sure the new ones are still available, albeit rarely. But if I wanted Epona or anything else that comes from the old discontinued amiibo, then I have to pay a lot.

- - - Post Merge - - -

I never see any of the BoW amiibo in my area. They were only around for a couple of weeks after the game came out and then they disappeared. I'd consider getting one of the Guardian amiibo, but they just sell for ridiculous prices online. I have been hoping to preorder some of the champion amiibo for the holiday dlc, since that seems to be the only way to get them at a normal price.

Exactly. I hope I don't miss the preorder period for the champion amiibos like I did with the first 4 :(

- - - Post Merge - - -

I've never even seen the bokoblin one :( I want the BotW amiibo for their aesthetics only tbh. It's the old ones that unlock most of the things I want, but yeah.. I do not like getting things from scalpers.

Last edited:

The Bokoblin one is the only one I actually intend on buying eventually. It is adorable.

Last edited:
The Bokoblin one is the only one I actually intend on buying eventually. It is adorable.

Agrees, don't know if I will buy it since I just bought Lottie, and ordered Callie/Marie and the purple squid ones from the Splatoon series but yeah it's v cute <3

You could check Gamestop. I've been to several Gamestops in Florida and they had most of the BotW amiibo, including the Guardian.

The reason why the Guardian is priced so much is because of its size. Have you ever seen the packaging? It's huge for an amiibo figure.

I bought most of the BoTW amiibo online for affordable prices.

And I already preordered the Champions pack.

Last edited:
I got SUPER lucky recently and found all the BotW amiibo in stock at ebgames. Got myself an Archer Link because I told myself I'd get him if I ever saw him in stock again. Undoubtedly they're all gone now, and the cashier warned me that was likely going to be their last shipment.

I really wish amiibos weren't on such a limited supply, it really isn't fair.

I got SUPER lucky recently and found all the BotW amiibo in stock at ebgames. Got myself an Archer Link because I told myself I'd get him if I ever saw him in stock again. Undoubtedly they're all gone now, and the cashier warned me that was likely going to be their last shipment.

I really wish amiibos weren't on such a limited supply, it really isn't fair.

Yeah, Sanrio and WA cards were worse for the NL update though so this is nothing lel

I actually recently saw some BoW amiibo at Gamestop when I went the other day. Maybe they are coming back. Also I saw the Champion amiibo available for preorder on amazon.com, but not at Gamestop yet.

Back