• The closing ceremony for TBT's Farewell to New Leaf event has been posted! View the winning entries and other closing announcements here. Thanks for joining in on the fun and nostalgia. We'll see you this Friday night for the start of our annual Easter Egg Hunt!

Dirt paths thread!

Warrior

Ultimate Warrior
Bells
MEOW Coupons
StreetPass Silver
Spring Sakura
Tasty Cake
Tasty Cake
Tasty Cake
Tasty Cake
Tasty Cake
Tasty Cake
Tasty Cake
Tasty Cake
Tasty Cake
Hello all! I've noticed from visiting peoples towns, lots of players use dirt paths. I wanted to get into using them too!

Do you use dirt paths? How long did it take to get them?

Did you ever have visitors come over to help wear in the paths?

I've managed to wear in a few spots, but the grass keeps trying to grow back >__<

It's taking so long, but the finished spots are so pretty and natural looking :blush:

I don't have any dirt paths but how are you getting the grass to grow back? I have a lot of dirt sports in my town I want smaller ;-;

I don't have any dirt paths but how are you getting the grass to grow back? I have a lot of dirt sports in my town I want smaller ;-;

simply not walking on them enough is making them grow back. There's areas I WANT to shrink, but the game has no intentions of helping me out there :mad:

I usually find the method of planting flowers and watering them clears up those spots pretty well.

I like the look of dirt paths, I'm just too lazy to make them.

i like dirt paths i am working on some, but they're not very expansive. i have a neighborhood area i want to clean up and get more defined paths, but mostly it's just not a lot of grass there. i have a path that connects my plaza to one of my bridges and another path from my train station to my retail, but those paths are very very short (maybe a 1.5 second run each) .

I wanted to make dirt paths but it's a lot of work. During the Winter the snow will cover the dirt and I didn't want to start again in the spring.

Read that you need to run every day on the areas where you want dirt pathways. Time travelling will cause the grass to grow back.
Check out ellesanimalhaven guide on tumblr. It has some good tips.

I wanted to make dirt paths but it's a lot of work. During the Winter the snow will cover the dirt and I didn't want to start again in the spring.

Read that you need to run every day on the areas where you want dirt pathways. Time travelling will cause the grass to grow back.
Check out ellesanimalhaven guide on tumblr. It has some good tips.

Thanks! I'll work on it, I tt, but I tt one day at a time, so it should be ok!

I've always wanted to, but I have like 0 patience to work on getting them. I heard that if you have regular paths down you can run over them and when you lift them there will be dead grass under, just like you'd ran on the grass, but I've never ran enough to see it happen.

I'd love to do dirt paths but my patience is too low for it, but I intend to do it eventually. I have brick QR codes that go around my town and I find walking over dirt sounds better than walking over grass for a path, so at some point I'm gonna pick up my paths in small sections and try and wear down the grass into dirt underneath for a better effect when walking on them.

I honestly don't care at all where my dirt is and isn't, I just let it do what it wants lol.

I think I might TRY to do one along my trick of treating route... but it's soooo tedious

Last edited:
I like dirt paths, I would like to make them but I don't have the time and I want to make sure I know where I want them to be first.

I looove my dirt paths & I'm very proud of them! They are a pain in the ass to maintain at the beginning, only because I wanted instant progress so I obsessively ran them, save & quit, repeat, over a period of time to expedite the process. Now that they have formed I don't really worry too much since just playing every day and walking around will keep them intact, unless you miss a day or two and it rains in between (rain and snow are dirt path killers). I admit, I do think that dirt paths can look kinda ugly during certain weather circumstances and seasons, like when it's gloomy or at 12pm in the bright afternoon during autumn when the grass is super light green. So I'm guilty of just exiting the game or time travelling to the evening (because they look sooo perfect during 5pm sunsets it just makes me happy to play at that time). It really helps to have clovers in your dirt paths to blend it in nicely.

My advice for maintaining dirt paths if you know you aren't gonna play every day: treat em like you treat villagers moving out. If you don't play for a while, write down the date you stop playing and log in on that day so those areas don't fill back in with grass. I think dirt paths are easier to make if you're a time traveller, but honestly in my 2nd town where I don't TT at all, I am already noticing some areas paths start to form... which is really irritating because that's my non-dirt paths town lol :p Also, using flowers and bushes as guidelines really help and keeps the paths from getting wider than you would like!

WVW69koO4bkstjByeU

WVW69kn-ksY-AvW3n-

WVW69kltHe8fQppaFs

WVW69kqvDuY5m9IiZy

WVW69ksh7T8Igd4PG9

I love my dirt paths. I have them all lined with trees, bushes, or flowers, so it's easy to stay on the path. It does take some effort to get them started, but they were mostly done in a week or so. I know I'll lose them once the snow comes, but it won't take long to get them back again, so I'm not worried. It was a lot easier (for me) than trying to find patterns that fit where I wanted to go and looked good in my town. That's something I don't have the patience for! :D

I'm really having the opposite problem right now. I had lots of flower fields, and walking over them to water killed the grass. I've taken them up and am going to leave the areas open, so hopefully the grass will grow back.

It's true that if you run over a QR pattern, the grass will still deteriorate underneath, so I recommend that as a method for making paths uniform. I've got dirt paths in Flint, and they're so satisfying but so much work! I never got any help; I just ran over my paths a few times every day while playing. You have to remember to run over everything several times every day, which can be a bit of a pain, but it's also kind of nice to get to run everywhere! I placed paths in a checkerboard pattern, with half the squares being a QR pattern and half the squares being empty (so imagine the empty squares like the white squares on a chessboard). That way, you can see how much progress you're making without having to pick the paths up and check, but you can also see exactly where you need to run.I'm not sure exactly how long it took?it's only a month or so before you notice progress, but it was probably 3-5 months before they looked really good.

I looove my dirt paths & I'm very proud of them! They are a pain in the ass to maintain at the beginning, only because I wanted instant progress so I obsessively ran them, save & quit, repeat, over a period of time to expedite the process. Now that they have formed I don't really worry too much since just playing every day and walking around will keep them intact, unless you miss a day or two and it rains in between (rain and snow are dirt path killers). I admit, I do think that dirt paths can look kinda ugly during certain weather circumstances and seasons, like when it's gloomy or at 12pm in the bright afternoon during autumn when the grass is super light green. So I'm guilty of just exiting the game or time travelling to the evening (because they look sooo perfect during 5pm sunsets it just makes me happy to play at that time). It really helps to have clovers in your dirt paths to blend it in nicely.

My advice for maintaining dirt paths if you know you aren't gonna play every day: treat em like you treat villagers moving out. If you don't play for a while, write down the date you stop playing and log in on that day so those areas don't fill back in with grass. I think dirt paths are easier to make if you're a time traveller, but honestly in my 2nd town where I don't TT at all, I am already noticing some areas paths start to form... which is really irritating because that's my non-dirt paths town lol :p Also, using flowers and bushes as guidelines really help and keeps the paths from getting wider than you would like!

WVW69koO4bkstjByeU

WVW69kn-ksY-AvW3n-

WVW69kltHe8fQppaFs

WVW69kqvDuY5m9IiZy

WVW69ksh7T8Igd4PG9

Your town is so natural looking! I love it ^^

I always love seeing different styles of towns people can achieve in game ^^

I remember looking up what it takes to make them once, and I decided right then and there that it was not worth the effort haha. Wish I was a bit more patient though, because I really do like the way they look a lot!

I wish that there was some easier method, that didn't require a lot of work (or bells!)

Oh no, I don't have the patience to do natural dirt paths. I would drive myself halfway up the wall. I like seeing them in other people's towns and I think they look nice but they aren't for me.

Back