Should transgender children be allowed to transition?

?

• Total voters
Status
Not open for further replies.
yes, they can take puberty blockers i believe and it causes little long lasting effects if they wish to stop their transition before moving onto hormone treatments. also 'children' is vague - legally it would be under 18(in the uk, idk about other countries) meaning the person would likely have been through puberty making it harder to transition.

yes, they can take puberty blockers i believe and it causes little long lasting effects if they wish to stop their transition before moving onto hormone treatments. also 'children' is vague - legally it would be under 18(in the uk, idk about other countries) meaning the person would likely have been through puberty making it harder to transition.

If they are 100% sure and go through proper treatment and counselling for it, go ahead. I think the OP is more if they should be allowed hormones and female/male parts surgery etc. like doing it fully.

I mean I see no hindering talking to shrinks, doctors etc. when they are small since that wouldn't do more harm than maybe if the therapist is an ass or such. As for blockers depending on how late/early they are, sure but ya just don't go treat yourself or start heavy just because you feel it.

Last edited:
blockers definitely, hrt isnt possible until puberty is supposed to start and you dont operate people under 18.

teenagers are able to make those decisions and i dont think people on here really understand gender dysphoria. do you really want these children to be suicidal for most of their youth just because some other people were like "uhhh youre nOT REady???" like Bro do you want your kid to want to die or to let them at least go on blockers lmao.

also, unpopular opinion but i think one reason many kids "lose" their desire 2 b another gender often is bc of how extremely unaccepting society is of transgender people lmao. some people still feel those feelings but ignore them and convince themselves that they would never want to be anything but cis
also replying to this since its Important

my best friend is NB and was DFAB. theyve been trying to transition (no medical stuff as for now) by wearing a binder, cutting their hair short and requesting people use their chosen name and pronouns, but people just keep telling them that they dont know what theyre doing or its just a phase or just dont care and use their deadname anyway (they specifically asked their parents to. they still call them their daughter and use their deadname) however their six year old brother siply replied "okay!" and has never once called them their deadname or misgendered them since.

i genuinely think that if children are allowed to express themselves / know that not everyone is the gender they were assigned at birth or only attracted to people of the opposite gender than them, then the child will be much more accepting to people. if children are allowed to express themselves, it means that lgbtphobia in schools especially will be less common, and people will be much happier with themselves.

- - - Post Merge - - -

blockers definitely, hrt isnt possible until puberty is supposed to start and you dont operate people under 18.

teenagers are able to make those decisions and i dont think people on here really understand gender dysphoria. do you really want these children to be suicidal for most of their youth just because some other people were like "uhhh youre nOT REady???" like Bro do you want your kid to want to die or to let them at least go on blockers lmao.

also, unpopular opinion but i think one reason many kids "lose" their desire 2 b another gender often is bc of how extremely unaccepting society is of transgender people lmao. some people still feel those feelings but ignore them and convince themselves that they would never want to be anything but cis
also replying to this since its Important

my best friend is NB and was DFAB. theyve been trying to transition (no medical stuff as for now) by wearing a binder, cutting their hair short and requesting people use their chosen name and pronouns, but people just keep telling them that they dont know what theyre doing or its just a phase or just dont care and use their deadname anyway (they specifically asked their parents to. they still call them their daughter and use their deadname) however their six year old brother siply replied "okay!" and has never once called them their deadname or misgendered them since.

i genuinely think that if children are allowed to express themselves / know that not everyone is the gender they were assigned at birth or only attracted to people of the opposite gender than them, then the child will be much more accepting to people. if children are allowed to express themselves, it means that lgbtphobia in schools especially will be less common, and people will be much happier with themselves.

- - - Post Merge - - -

If they are 100% sure and go through proper treatment and counselling for it, go ahead. I think the OP is more if they should be allowed hormones and female/male parts surgery etc. like doing it fully.

I mean I see no hindering talking to shrinks, doctors etc. when they are small since that wouldn't do more harm than maybe if the therapist is an ass or such. As for blockers depending on how late/early they are, sure but ya just don't go treat yourself or start heavy just because you feel it.

well i mean if the op is refering to surgery then its illegal under 18 anyway lmao?? surgery that you chose to do you have to be 18 to decide ???

Yeah, and more long-going hormone stuff and whatever stuff comes with it. Yeah it's probably illegal in most places.

Re your stuff about misgendering/using wrong name and pronouns of course you should respect that and not dismiss it (unless they are a tumblr wannabe and think they are trans n-word and forces people to use a long line of labels and pronouns that is). Although they shouldn't have such a short fuse about it though or be some incredibly rant and angry (unless whoever does that does it to provoke) and be like pissy because you actually care to ask what they want to be called.

Yeah, and more long-going hormone stuff and whatever stuff comes with it. Yeah it's probably illegal in most places.

Re your stuff about misgendering/using wrong name and pronouns of course you should respect that and not dismiss it (unless they are a tumblr wannabe and think they are trans n-word and forces people to use a long line of labels and pronouns that is). Although they shouldn't have such a short fuse about it though or be some incredibly rant and angry (unless whoever does that does it to provoke) and be like pissy because you actually care to ask what they want to be called.

nah literally the person im refering just wants people to call them by they/them pronouns and their chosen name. thats it.
i generally ask people for pronouns and name when i start talking to them, because thats just polite imo? like if ur pissed somebody is asking u for ur pronouns then ngl ur kinda a dick

- - - Post Merge - - -

oh i would like to add tho, even if you dislike someone u should use their chosen name and pronouns. i fell out with a former friend some months back, and i was *****ing to my family about it and they were like whas their name, so i told them their name and they were like "god girls are so dramatic" despite me using they/ them pronouns, and then they thougth their name was just short for another femenine name and only refered to them as such? (eg, i said their name was Sam. they assumed their name was Samantha, and would be like "lmao that samantha girl was such a *****" for example) like respect peoples pronouns even if you dont like them.

Last edited:
nah literally the person im refering just wants people to call them by they/them pronouns and their chosen name. thats it.
i generally ask people for pronouns and name when i start talking to them, because thats just polite imo? like if ur pissed somebody is asking u for ur pronouns then ngl ur kinda a dick

Yeah or they act miffed because they are entitled to all privileges and stuff yeah then you are a ****.

And yes I have respect for that, I'm just saying don't be a dick person who thinks you have all the rights and act high and mighty because of it and sure I will give you respect back.
--

Back on topic, I don't think all of the people are "phasers" or such but really there are large differences between a 5 and a 10 year old kid so yeah be there and ask and support before you do anything. Small kids often play with everything and maybe just snap it up wherever. Explain to them as long as you can on their level what it is and if they are decisive enough when they are old enough to see therapist they can do that and talk to them. And obviously don't refuse them to like fix their hair, other clothes, bind their chest etc. if they are serious about it.

Yeah or they act miffed because they are entitled to all privileges and stuff yeah then you are a ****.

And yes I have respect for that, I'm just saying don't be a dick person who thinks you have all the rights and act high and mighty because of it and sure I will give you respect back.
--

Back on topic, I don't think all of the people are "phasers" or such but really there are large differences between a 5 and a 10 year old kid so yeah be there and ask and support before you do anything. Small kids often play with everything and maybe just snap it up wherever. Explain to them as long as you can on their level what it is and if they are decisive enough when they are old enough to see therapist they can do that and talk to them. And obviously don't refuse them to like fix their hair, other clothes, bind their chest etc. if they are serious about it.

i love u

de nada.

but yeah basically, show your kid respect if they are serious and try to understand them if you are too old. you obviously shouldn't neuter a 3 year old because they heard their friends brother making a transition but yeah once they get older and if they are serious then support them.

de nada.

but yeah basically, show your kid respect if they are serious and try to understand them if you are too old. you obviously shouldn't neuter a 3 year old because they heard their friends brother making a transition but yeah once they get older and if they are serious then support them.

Yeah, I've heard some horror stories about "trans" 3 and 4 year olds lmao
If they're above a certain age, you should respect their decision, whether they'll change their mind on it or not

Yeah, I've heard some horror stories about "trans" 3 and 4 year olds lmao
If they're above a certain age, you should respect their decision, whether they'll change their mind on it or not

Yeah, I mean 99% of the times they are probably playing and trying so.. yeah. I mean when they get older and more conscious and can read up about it then then yes you should take it seriously and watch over it.

I can’t say anything new that hasn’t really already been said but watch this if you have a moment. There is more to transitioning than just taking hormones and surgery. From my understanding, biggest thing parents of trans kids want is for their kid to grow up happy and healthy. That’s not an option when you are suffering from gender dysphoria, which is something that most people don’t really understand how crippling it can be unless they have personally experienced it. Mabe this video shows their mindset better than my words.

Absolutely not. Had I been given the opportunity to become a girl when I was 10, I probably would've said yes. Now? No way.

I agree with lots of others about medically transitioning being too far.

Letting a kid cut or grow out their hair, wearing whatever clothes they want, and go by a different name/pronouns is completely fine though. All of those things are immediately or soon enough reversible if the kid realizes later that they changed their mind. Also, what you *think* what you want as a kid and what you want as an adult are two different things.

What I mean for the latter part is even deciding something as "simple" as what job you want to do as an adult and/or what major you want to go for in college is *hard*. Most people I know are doing something different job-wise as an adult than they thought they would be doing as a kid.

I feel like the earliest someone should medically transition is very late teens/early 20s, so they have a better idea of what they actually want.

I think a big transition is something that should wait for an older age when they're more informed. HOWEVER, I believe a child should be allowed to socially transition (name change, the way they dress, etc) at any age.

The big thing is if a kid is questioning their gender, get them on puberty blockers. They're perfectly harmless and reversible. It just keeps the hormones from kicking in until they're old enough to make an informed decision. As soon as they stop taking the blockers, hormones will kick in and puberty will carry on like normal. At that point they can stay the gender they were assigned at birth or start taking hormones to transition.

This is stupid. Children, especially teenagers go through weird phases because of confusion ect. Changing gender is life changing and its better for when they have matured and thought about the decision.

No, it's not a choice a kid can make with good conscience. They should be allowed to change their name and dress the way they prefer, use puberty blockers if that's more comfortable for them and all, but I don't think anyone should permanently change anything with their body until they're an adult. You're questioning a lot when you're a teenager, but you're also very naive and can be easily pressured by people who want you to be one thing or the other. Let kids and young teens experiment and figure it out in a healthy way, but also understand that they are just kids who are barely allowed to do anything because of their age for a good reason.

Speaking as a transgender person, I personally don't think children should permanently change their body like that.
Now I am 100% for puberty blockers because those are reversible with no side effects and I believe they should fully be allowed to dress and act how they want and choose what name they want. Teenagers and children just aren't fully matured and we all know hormones do crazy things to minds and bodies, so teens/kids often make lots of impulsive decisions that can be influenced far too easily by media/friends/parents/etc. So yeah, let them use puberty blockers and do all the other stuff until they are grown and matured enough to realize if they really are trans or not.

Ok I didn't even read the rest of this thread 'cause I'm too damn lazy but kids literally aren't allowed to (medically) transition until they're like 18 so imo you should really request a lock for this ignorant thread.

"Transitioning" as a child is literally just them changing their clothes/hair IF THEY WANT TO and that's it. When they're around puberty age they can be put on puberty blockers which are harmless and very reversible.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back