• The closing ceremony for TBT's Farewell to New Leaf event has been posted! View the winning entries and other closing announcements here. Thanks for joining in on the fun and nostalgia. We'll see you this Friday night for the start of our annual Easter Egg Hunt!

Should transgender children be allowed to transition?

?

• Total voters
Status
Not open for further replies.

Nightmares

( ̄。 ̄)~zzz
Bells
MEOW Coupons
StreetPass Silver
Red Holiday Candle
February Birthstone (Amethyst)
New Leaf Token
Pink Hybrid Cosmos
Blue Candy
Yellow Candy
Tasty Cake
Happy Home Designer Token
Red Candy
Green Candy
Soo...do you think it's ok to let trans children transition?

Personally, I think it's pretty wrong. I think around... 80% (?) of children who claim to be the opposite gender lose those feelings over time, and to allow a kid to make such a huge life decision isn't right. They're not old enough to drink, drive, give consent, etc, so why should they be allowed to undergo permanent changes to their body?

Yeah, I agree. Sometimes they just hear the thing randomly and snap it up as a "cool thing" when it's actually way way more complex than that. And if you are too young you probably don't know everything anyway.

I mean waiting until 18/allowed ages might be long if they are really sure about it, but at least be honest with them; ask, support etc. and if it stays long enough and they can be able to read information and such about it so they can make their own decision you can start discussing it.

You shouldn't just give a 3 yo that thinks they are aware of everything in the world a transition just like that because they "heard about it".

Children aren't allowed to transition. You need to visit therapists and counselors and all this mental stuff before you undergo the surgeries or get injections. I don't think this should change, because like you said, gender and sexual identity changes as we grow and they should only be able to make a solid decision when their brains are fully developed and only after undergoing analysis to see if that's really what and not something they're going to regret.

I am 100% for educating them about it if it's something they're exploring for later in life, and of course they can still change their name they want to be called and dress how they want, but anything permanent is way too much power to put into a child's hands.

agreed, i had a phase where i wanted to be a boy, it lasted for a couple of years. kids who undergo transitions shouldn't be in the spotlight on national television, ever. it could just hurt them.

no. never. they should make the decision as an adult. you can easily get pressured as a child and i know there's people who are born different and stay that way but it's most likely a phase. i went through it myself for a couple of years too actually

Last edited:
Honestly, I'm all for LGBT+ rights, but I don't think that they should be able to at such a young age. I'm not really knowledgable when it comes to transitioning and what procedures or medicines they need to take, but there's always a chance of something going wrong and bringing harm to them at a young age. To me, safety should prioritized. When they're eighteen then they can seriously consider undergoing transition, but they should still look at the possible side effects and harm.

Children under 13 shouldn't yet dictate their gender identity to the point where they'd actively seek transitioning in my opinion. It's such a delicate phase, and even if 90% of kids who feel transgender feel the same way going in their teens and adulthood, I'd still be against this for that 10% who will end up changing their mind.

no. never. they should make the decision as an adult. you can easily get pressured as a child and i know there's people who are born different and stay that way but it's most likely a phase. i went through it myself for a couple of years too actually

Yeah, or at least when you/they feel they are mature enough. I mean all children play and dress up with different sex and gender roles as a kid, like say one lil boy that didn't think mom's lipstick was exciting in whatever way. And yeah we all have phases be it whatever. When they are old enough and if they still are serious and know they are not in a phase or just in a mood, then yeah you can start things up.

And I kind of agree about the 18/adult things as well, then you are def. a big enough person to take care of yourself. Don't go self-medicating when you are like 10 because you feel "something" is wrong, net meds will probably harm you more than help. Try talking to someone about it, be it like privately here with someone or a professional(would probably be the best choice, but y'know not everyone can).

No way. As you said, they tend to lose their feelings after a few years. I personally don't think they have enough brain development to make the right choices for themselves.

I think its ok to let your kid dress however they want, if your kid wants pink dresses or whatever and is a boy, that's fine. Will they be bullied? Probably. However at the same time, sometimes little boys will like womens clothes the same way they like a kitten 'that's nice' and that's all there is to it.

Anyways for actual medical transition? Transitioning at a young age can actively hinder long term transition. I think every effort should be made to allow them to live as the gender they want to transition to, 1. So they can see if that's really what they want, 2. Clothes,Makeup and wigs has no irreversible effects. For example, transition NEUTERS you. Once you transition your sex organs will not, and will never work. (I don't see why I often see people make the point of men having periods etc, trans men who've been on T a while don't have periods)

As someone who has actually experienced dysphoria, sometimes it IS just a passing phase. I would also say that before transitioning they should get therapy for any other problems they might have. In my case I was trying to 'run away' from my own identity to cope with trauma. It wasn't exactly the same as gender dysphoria, but I was surrounded by people misinforming me, that I very easily could have thought it was gender dysphoria.

Once someone is 18, I don't think they are even mature enough to make that decision, however at that point they are legally an adult and can make their own decisions. Childhood transition is abuse in my mind. Someone that young, their brain is not fully developed. Thinking about myself when I was 12, I barely knew what I wanted in 5 minutes, never mind my whole life.

Children aren't allowed to transition. You need to visit therapists and counselors and all this mental stuff before you undergo the surgeries or get injections. I don't think this should change, because like you said, gender and sexual identity changes as we grow and they should only be able to make a solid decision when their brains are fully developed and only after undergoing analysis to see if that's really what and not something they're going to regret.

I am 100% for educating them about it if it's something they're exploring for later in life, and of course they can still change their name they want to be called and dress how they want, but anything permanent is way too much power to put into a child's hands.

Yeah, I had a mtf friend and she gave me a bit too much education on everything you have to do so yeah, you need to be very careful and prepared before you do any of this. Should be said brains aren't done until we are 25, so that might be long but yeah you should definitely be adult before you even start getting 100% serious.

And yes, educate, ask, support etc. but don't let your kid go haywire and harm themselves. As mentioned below I'm for LGBTQ+ rights for this as long as people are serious about it.

- - - Post Merge - - -

I think its ok to let your kid dress however they want, if your kid wants pink dresses or whatever and is a boy, that's fine. Will they be bullied? Probably. However at the same time, sometimes little boys will like womens clothes the same way they like a kitten 'that's nice' and that's all there is to it.

Anyways for actual medical transition? Transitioning at a young age can actively hinder long term transition. I think every effort should be made to allow them to live as the gender they want to transition to, 1. So they can see if that's really what they want, 2. Clothes,Makeup and wigs has no irreversible effects. For example, transition NEUTERS you. Once you transition your sex organs will not, and will never work. (I don't see why I often see people make the point of men having periods etc, trans men who've been on T a while don't have periods)

Once someone is 18, I don't think they are even mature enough to make that decision, however at that point they are legally an adult and can make their own decisions. Childhood transition is abuse in my mind. Someone that young, their brain is not fully developed. Thinking about myself when I was 12, I barely knew what I wanted in 5 minutes, never mind my whole life.

1. Yes so much. All kids will play around with whatever sparkly clothes and things. If they are getting bullied by someone, them and/or their parents need to know seriously and should stop. There is nothing wrong with wearing clothes you like and the divided shelf thing that shops pressure us to follow is just dumb. So what if I want a 'male' Hawaii shirt, I can't? :(

2. Yeah, it seems a lot of people are misinformed or just get the wrong information themselves on this.

3. Yes and yes it is. I mean you can't possible know at age 5 you never want to like, be able to reproduce naturally (there are options I know but for the sake of clarity) or what you want anyway, that's p much impossible. And yeah regular sterilization isn't even allowed here until you are 25 so...

I mean you can make whatever sex parts but yeah you won't be able to have kids with them.

As someone already said, children aren't allowed to transition, actual transition especially surgical depends on location. I.E. I know in Georgia for a time you had to actually announce in the news paper you were changing your gender designation and people could actually go through and refuse to accept it and it would hinder your chances. and that was just to have it changed on your ID card! Imagine spending 20-40 thousand dollars for just one surgery, going through as an ADULT, living for multiple years as your gender identity only to have like your homophobic bigoted aunt come through and say NO I DON'T RECOGNIZE THIS.

What IS allowed for children are puberty blockers which can do wonders for helping with early dysphoria and allow the child enough time to explore their gender identity in a healthy and natural way.

As a trans man the sheer amount of disinformation spread by the media about this, bathroom panics, and other transgender issues is disgusting. Of course children are not allowed to make such drastic surgical changes to their bodies, but that's not even what's on offer.

Unless of course you mean do I think they should be allowed to explore their gender identity and begin the journey of transition? By all means. If you are not comfortable then going years living under that is going to result in massive problems as an adult. Let children explore and make mistakes. It's their identity.

edit: Also on the subject of men with periods, it depends on the person tbh, even after quite awhile on T if you have reproductive health issues that change your period that is still going to affect you regardless of T.

Last edited:
i voted on this poll before i realized that the OP meant medically transition. i agree with all the responses in this thread, ignore my actual vote lol.

blockers definitely, hrt isnt possible until puberty is supposed to start and you dont operate people under 18.

teenagers are able to make those decisions and i dont think people on here really understand gender dysphoria. do you really want these children to be suicidal for most of their youth just because some other people were like "uhhh youre nOT REady???" like Bro do you want your kid to want to die or to let them at least go on blockers lmao.

also, unpopular opinion but i think one reason many kids "lose" their desire 2 b another gender often is bc of how extremely unaccepting society is of transgender people lmao. some people still feel those feelings but ignore them and convince themselves that they would never want to be anything but cis

no and even more a no when its proven that a sexchange doesn't help anyone really since it is a mental thing
inb4 triggered replies ohno

No. They are CHILDREN. I believe you should chose your sexuality or transition to a different gender once you become an adult. Let's be real here, people who are mostly LGBT are in like Junior High when they're 12-14. That's WAAY too young to decide your sexuality, and gender preference.

Soo...do you think it's ok to let trans children transition?

Personally, I think it's pretty wrong. I think around... 80% (?) of children who claim to be the opposite gender lose those feelings over time, and to allow a kid to make such a huge life decision isn't right. They're not old enough to drink, drive, give consent, etc, so why should they be allowed to undergo permanent changes to their body?
I agree. I think that if you're going to, you should transition when you're a teenager, because that's when you start figuring out who you are anyway. And, like you said, your brain has developed enough by then.

Edit: This Morning (which is a programme in my country, the UK) discussed this subject:
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=XohOTTCG5Z8

Here's another clip:
https://m.youtube.com/watch?v=1nxuFqAr0Fw

Last edited:
blockers definitely, hrt isnt possible until puberty is supposed to start and you dont operate people under 18.

teenagers are able to make those decisions and i dont think people on here really understand gender dysphoria. do you really want these children to be suicidal for most of their youth just because some other people were like "uhhh youre nOT REady???" like Bro do you want your kid to want to die or to let them at least go on blockers lmao.

also, unpopular opinion but i think one reason many kids "lose" their desire 2 b another gender often is bc of how extremely unaccepting society is of transgender people lmao. some people still feel those feelings but ignore them and convince themselves that they would never want to be anything but cis

Well it's different giving minor hormones etc. at young age and do a full transition just like that. Most aren't even ready that young (let alone a few cases and persons). As for the dysphoria issue, I think yes a lot of people(read parents and therapists) are ignorant as heckle and don't bother do understand... with that they should get better education and be taught how to deal with those people so people don't "lose" or whatever you point out there. On the other hand you should teach the kids it's acceptable to have those feelings and society as a whole needs to be turned around. I mean the best you can do is be there for them and for doctors and therapists to listen so they ARE prepared at later dates if they still want to do it. Like, force them to listen to you, and be serious with your parents/caretakers/relatives etc. I mean if they are a bunch of homophobes, well make sure to get help.
--

With this I'm not saying you shouldn't be able to express yourself, live out what gender you feel like, but yeah don't go treat yourself with shady stuff just because Internet (tm) is under your nose.

And I feel like a lot of older people/parents are uncomfortable and don't take their kids seriously and vice versa. And while it might be one factor to being suicidal, there are probably other reasons as well.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back