• The closing ceremony for TBT's Farewell to New Leaf event has been posted! View the winning entries and other closing announcements here. Thanks for joining in on the fun and nostalgia. We'll see you this Friday night for the start of our annual Easter Egg Hunt!

"The Call of the Void"

namiieco

Bells
MEOW Coupons
StreetPass Silver
Switch
6908-4747-6475
L'appel du vide - The call of the void. When you are standing on the balcony of a tall building, looking down at the ground and on some track your brain says "what would it feel like to jump". When you are holding a kitchen knife thinking, "I wonder if this is sharp enough to cut myself with".

Have you ever experienced this?

Only constantly, I live in a space between that and constant anxiety. So it's like "I wonder if I should die." one second and "Oh god I don't want to die!" the next. It's a great time.

i've done this before with a pocket knife last summer. the main reason though was because i was around other people and my crush so half of me thought it was for attention but half of me thought i just did it for no reason. is it just the thought thats "the call of the void" or is it the action too? because i did end up slitting my palm

- - - Post Merge - - -

i just googled this and i have this all the time when someones talking i sometimes imagine a baseball hitting them in the head or me attacking them which makes it hard to pay attention to what they're saying. is that normal lmao?

Y'all are ****ed up...

- - - Post Merge - - -

Please get help and do not hurt yourself

you guys are going to get banned lmao.
I've dealt with self harm for more than 5 years. it's not pretty, not cute, not alluring. I believe in this "call of the void" bc I felt it but do not by all means make it seem alluring.
this isn't something cool or fun it ruins people's lives and I don't support or condone unhealthy behavior.
I've been to treatment and I take medication because of self harm, depression "call of the void" if u will.
please seek help if you hurt yourself purposely. it is not healthy, fun, or attractive

Yeah those are called impulsive/intrusive thoughts and they're very common for mentally ill people.

self harm isnt cool just, by the way
dont start self harm cause its just.. no
and also i think its a part of human curiosity in some way @ original question

Last edited:
oh **** i thought i was the only one who got these, esp with the hights thing. and sometimes with knifes or thinking about uhh

bad
actions.

god i need help...

Working with knives at Subway I had this ALL THE TIME. It was wrong, like I always wanted to get off the line because of it...

I have unpleasant, intrusive thoughts pretty often, unfortunately, but I've gotten into the habit of thinking of happy things right after to balance it out. It's annoying, but they don't bother me as much as they used to because I don't let myself go down a weird rabbit hole of messed up thoughts anymore. I just start thinking about cute cats or how insanely loud my dog snores :U Or how my flying squirrel stashes a variety of snacks in my backpacks/ one purse that I never use because I'm not a purse person.

yeah, i have intrusive thoughts a lot. like my sister willbe driving and ill suddenly think "what if i opened the door and jumped out" or "what would happen if i dropped this knife" whilst im cooking or smth. its not nice.

it's different getting the thoughts and pushing them away and getting thoughts and acting on them
if you act on these thoughts it isn't healthy !!

it's really common and normal to get those feelings dw. i think that as long as they're not becoming a problem for you in your daily life there's no real need to worry

i get impulses to hurt myself a lot but it's usually because of mental health issues and not that curiosity to see what would happen if i touched a hot stove or dropped my phone from a roof

Yeah, I get intrusive thoughts.

And then I proceed to ignore them but still continue to think about them.

Call me messed up but, yes. Sometimes, I could be carrying some bleach and i wonder "hmm, what would happen if i drank it?" then I'm just like "wtf, why did i think about that. snap outta it!"

Oh gosh, I get these a lot! Like, I would be playing with some coins and I would just think "I could eat them.." 10 seconds later, I would cringe at the thought of it.

Yes, but I think it's more so out of curiosity. I never do stuff like that so imo I think it's normal to think like that, because (in some cases) it's stuff we would never do nor experience, but still wonder what would happen. We wonder stuff out of the norm because we don't do it, it's not super unhealthy to think it. Act upon them, yes. Definate yes.

I mean, if jumping off building was a norm, then we wouldn't have that thought cause we would know what jumping off building feels like. If we live in a society that idk never pets cats, then we would think 'hey I wonder what it's like to pet a cat' which in that case, wouldn't be a 'normal' thing.

Last edited:
Back