• The closing ceremony for TBT's Farewell to New Leaf event has been posted! View the winning entries and other closing announcements here. Thanks for joining in on the fun and nostalgia. We'll see you this Friday night for the start of our annual Easter Egg Hunt!

let's talk about Tumblr

Tumblr is fine just don't follow toxic people and it won't be toxic lol

I've never made a Tumblr account because I have been warned not to by pretty much everyone I've ever talked to. But from what I've heard and seen (my pinterest dash is filled with Tumblr screenshots) it's really, really toxic as others have said. I've seen so many people hating on neurotypicals/straights/white people and like...there's a difference between calling them out if they're being ignorant or oppressive or hurtful (and I 100% agree with calling people out for things like this) and calling them out just because they exist. And the attitudes towards mental illness on there are so irritating ugh.

its ok, i like finding art on there, but theres always this one thing i see that makes me lose hope in humanity

Tumblr is fine just don't follow toxic people and it won't be toxic lol

yeah literally lol everything has a ****tier side just stay on the side ur comfortable with lol

eg voltron fandom on tumblr is ****ing cursed, but as long as you follow the people who post good content and dont interact with any of the toxic people in there and bam ur fine

tumblr was good but it kind of went downhill when yahoo bought it ig

I like it a lot myself. If I see any drama or stuff I disagree with (like Trump supporters and whatnot) I just unfollow them. It's a great platform for finding good content of fanart, and I love seeing and making gifsets :)

I can't stand most of Tumblr. The time I was on there was an absolutely awful experience, minus the art side of it, which is a plus...Thankfully, after I deleted my account and accepted the Totino's Lifestyle my life has been much better.

Last edited:
I can't stand most of Tumblr. The time I was on there was an absolutely awful experience, minus the art side of it, which is a plus...Thankfully, after I deleted my account and accepted the Totino's Lifestyle my life has been much better.

i love ur passion my boy, ur a hero keep doing what ur doing we're all rooting for you

stay out of the places you dont like, bada bing bada boom
yeah theres friCkeD up communities but what big website doesnt have those? just stay away from the extreme voltron klance shippers and you will be fine my man

I like it to find + keep track of qr codes and that's about it

Tumblr definitely sucks at removing pedophiles and nazis, but you can literally find every kind of group there. I have a lot of mutuals who have anti map blogs but I feel like using map (minor-attracted people) instead of pedophiles is just dumb. Don't use acronyms, it makes it look like a joke. Use words that people know. It's literally like nazis trying to coin the term "alt right" because those words are accepted by society and don't have a bad rep like nazi.

But back to pedos: yeah they suck. But for every pedo blog there are like ten anti-pedo blogs who work actively against it: https://www.tumblr.com/search/anti-map (probably not visible without a blog? idk). There's literally an entire community working against them (they also work against people using tags like "lollipop" to post sexual stuff)

I've been using Tumblr since 2013 and people are definitely way too whiny about it. Like that one post you saw in five years obviously doesn't represent Tumblr, the same way that one YouTube comment doesn't represent the entire YouTube community. But I guess people just need a scapegoat for their anger. But it's just a blog website that everyone's allowed to use. If someone uses their blog to be ****ty, it's on them not the entire website. Kinda sad that this needs to be explained.

I've been on Tumblr for years now. I gotta agree with Riedy, the site is what you make it. Your experience of it all depends on the people you follow and interact with (pretty much the same as every website tbh). I gotta say, I hate the map community of tumblr, it's awful and disgusting and I really wish staff would do something about it (and the nazis and other gross communities).

Tbf I am sorta biased towards tumblr, because I grew up as a very sheltered child and having that as a social media helped me learn new things and such. Like I never would have known I was a trans male if not for tumblr (I didn't even know transgendered people were a concept until I came about that all on tumblr). Soo yeah..

@Riedy the reason anti's use the term MAP is because that's the term the pedophiles on tumblr used. They made it up to make their.."attractions" (eugh) seem less weird. Obviously that doesn't work at all. But yeah the anti's only call them that because that's what they called themselves. And tbf most antis I've seen have vehemently been against the word map and refuse to call them that and use pedophile instead (that's just my own personal experience though).

lately the animal crossing community on tumblr has been getting on my nerves but i'm pretty sure i'm being overly grumpy hhh. i don't love the cutesy "remember to stay hydrated" vibe of it and that sounds super bad but i dont mean it like that? idk i feel like people think they can be rude and aggressive but cover it up with some cutesy tag and a nice smiley. it's especially around certain popular bloggers that i shouldnt namedrop but that community is starting to feel more and more like some popularity thing in a school.

As long as you stay away from serious things and just look for NL inspiration it's alright I guess? Some people and communities are the worst kind toxic there though

idk i feel like people think they can be rude and aggressive but cover it up with some cutesy tag and a nice smiley.
reminds me of a popular aesthetic i hate that i see on tumblr a lot. it's "u make me sick" "i hate you" "[add some other vulgar **** here]" "you disgust me" "peasant" but they make the text all cute and happy and pink and lots of cute clouds and rainbows and shhashdhjdjedj

Tumblr definitely sucks at removing pedophiles and nazis, but you can literally find every kind of group there. I have a lot of mutuals who have anti map blogs but I feel like using map (minor-attracted people) instead of pedophiles is just dumb. Don't use acronyms, it makes it look like a joke. Use words that people know. It's literally like nazis trying to coin the term "alt right" because those words are accepted by society and don't have a bad rep like nazi.

But back to pedos: yeah they suck. But for every pedo blog there are like ten anti-pedo blogs who work actively against it: https://www.tumblr.com/search/anti-map (probably not visible without a blog? idk). There's literally an entire community working against them (they also work against people using tags like "lollipop" to post sexual stuff)

I've been using Tumblr since 2013 and people are definitely way too whiny about it. Like that one post you saw in five years obviously doesn't represent Tumblr, the same way that one YouTube comment doesn't represent the entire YouTube community. But I guess people just need a scapegoat for their anger. But it's just a blog website that everyone's allowed to use. If someone uses their blog to be ****ty, it's on them not the entire website. Kinda sad that this needs to be explained.

this entire post, y e s. The only reason why they use MAP instead of pedophile is because it sounds nicer... like there's no inbetween.

I've been on Tumblr for years now. I gotta agree with Riedy, the site is what you make it. Your experience of it all depends on the people you follow and interact with (pretty much the same as every website tbh). I gotta say, I hate the map community of tumblr, it's awful and disgusting and I really wish staff would do something about it (and the nazis and other gross communities).

Tbf I am sorta biased towards tumblr, because I grew up as a very sheltered child and having that as a social media helped me learn new things and such. Like I never would have known I was a trans male if not for tumblr (I didn't even know transgendered people were a concept until I came about that all on tumblr). Soo yeah..

@Riedy the reason anti's use the term MAP is because that's the term the pedophiles on tumblr used. They made it up to make their.."attractions" (eugh) seem less weird. Obviously that doesn't work at all. But yeah the anti's only call them that because that's what they called themselves. And tbf most antis I've seen have vehemently been against the word map and refuse to call them that and use pedophile instead (that's just my own personal experience though).

well the antis calling them a pedophile isn't a bad thing, that's what they are lol. I guess they just don't like the word pedophile so they created something else to feel better about it.

- - - Post Merge - - -

reminds me of a popular aesthetic i hate that i see on tumblr a lot. it's "u make me sick" "i hate you" "[add some other vulgar **** here]" "you disgust me" "peasant" but they make the text all cute and happy and pink and lots of cute clouds and rainbows and shhashdhjdjedj

lmao I know exactly what u mean, whenever I need a new background for my phone I search up "tumblr iPhone wallpapers" (cause tumblr does have some pretty cute stuff y'know) and there's always that one picture that's like "I hate you" but it's in pink bubble letters, basically what u just said lol

right?? i never get that aesthetic fhjfgs

tbh i use Tumblr a lot for langblr (the language side of tumblr its pretty helpful for language learning)

Back