• The closing ceremony for TBT's Farewell to New Leaf event has been posted! View the winning entries and other closing announcements here. Thanks for joining in on the fun and nostalgia. We'll see you this Friday night for the start of our annual Easter Egg Hunt!

Teachers saying "shut up"

namiieco

Bells
MEOW Coupons
StreetPass Silver
Switch
6908-4747-6475
i've had a handful of teachers who say shut up to their students and it's pretty rude.
do you think it's acceptable for a teacher to say shut up? in some circumstances?

i think its fine to tell really rude kids with no respect whatsoever to shut up but then again i guess thats just being rude back

i think it's perfectly ok in a few circumstances such as when all the class is being annoying, or one/a few really disruptive kids. just telling one kid to "shut up" for a little mistake is too harsh

They should say it in a nicer way, like "please stay silent for a moment" or something cause saying "shut up" to your face is kinda rude right? But I guess it depends on what grade the teacher is teaching so the students understand and don't start crying or something...maybe not cause shut up is rude anyway.....I guess they should just use other words than that.

I don't know much since all of my teachers are very nice lol (but I hear there are mean teachers in my sisters highschool maybe I should ask her more about this)

I mean,,, not at all for me. I absolutely hate being told to shut up by all my teachers (one teacher went so far as to tell me that he wished i had never opened my mouth at all) but I'm the least problematic student in the class (I still wish they wouldn't tell me to shut up all the time when all I do is try to work lol) . I don't think it's fair, even with a really rude kid. Like,, if a student is THAT problematic, you remove them from the class.
Maybe thats because I've delt with years of teachers saying nasty things to me for no reason, including 'shut up' a lot. idk.

Uhh yes why not, if a bunch of people act like jerks and disturbs the class then yeah why not. Also I love how people think it's rude like, if you're having mouth diarrhoea or can't stop screaming then yeah, shut up.

I mean, I might be a little taken aback depending on the circumstance, but generally I don't see it as a big issue

I was lucky to have nice teachers in highschool, I would have been pretty shocked if one of them did that actually. I did see a student tell a teacher to shut up before when she was just trying to help with the work. I was so disgusted when she didn't say anything back, she was just like "Oh ok" like girl I can't believe you just took that in front of everybody..

Anyway I think it's fine if the teacher is bantering with the students or something (like telling everyone to shut up when the room is being noisy). Otherwise, if you're an adult I feel like your first resort to getting a kid to quiet down/be respectful shouldn't be snapping at them to "shut up".

depends on context
student being disruptive to the class and being rude to the teacher? fine then. if the student doesnt treat the teacher w/ respect the teacher shouldnt treat the student with resepect back.
student just talking to their friend whilst doing the work / asking a valid question about the work? no, thats rude and wrong.

Honestly when you you get older in school teachers just don't really care about telling people to shut up. Its more about the student maturity because once you hit the age of 16/17/18, you really shouldnt be misbehaving in a lesson or have the teacher resort to telling you to shut up. It just reflect badly on you.

It depends. If the teacher is clearly being disrespected, then yes. However, I don't think teachers should throw it around too much since it's quite rude and, of course, students would be told off if they said it to back the teacher.

I really think it depends on the circumstance, but even then it should be said politely like "please don't talk right now." or "could you please stop talking."

I think its pretty rude to tell anyone to shut up, and it isn't professional at all for a teacher to tell their students to 'shut up'. I don't think it sets a good example, even if the student it is directed at was being rude or loud.

I certainly feel that teachers could use another term regardless of how disruptive the students are during a lesson.

Thankfully, I didn't have such teachers that would use impolite words during my days of school. There was no reason to as most of us were respectful towards the lesson and the time and effort that the teacher would have put in for them. To me, it would seem a bit unprofessional if a teacher was to ever be in that situation of coming across as rude since they are there to help but they are also there to encourage students to study than to muck about.

Teachers are entitled to quieten down the level of noise during their sessions but I don't feel to the extent of being discourteous and impolite to students.

I think screaming at someone to shut up is not really setting a great example and may only instigate the kid further if they are immature enough. It happened before when I was in high school, some kid was joking really loudly with his friends while the teacher was lecturing and she shouted at him to "shut the hell up". All it did was make everyone else go "OooOooHHHH" and the kid misbehave even future probably because he liked the attention? She eventually sent him to the principal and gave him detention but like if she had the power to do that to a misbehaving child, just do it at the start. Shouting shut up to someone is just showing everyone what a short fuse you have.

As someone who went to schools in bad areas, I sure wish the teachers told the pupils to shut up more. In this country the teachers have to bend over backwards to avoid 'upsetting behaviour' But it's pretty upsetting to me when my grades plummet because the teachers aren't allowed to control the class even when they're being extremely disruptive! Like seriously, I had to drop down a level in maths on the day of the exam, because the teacher hadn't covered the entire curriculum by the time of the exam, since the pupils were so diruptive. :-I

Abhorrent tbh

I mean I don't think they should if the kids are 5 or something but if you've got a classroom full of 12+ year old kids chances are they're saying worse so like who cares you know

I don't see a problem with it. If they're a nice teacher, then it's good that they're not submissive to their students.

But if they're saying that just to be rude than I would probably lose respect for them.

I think the people here saying that it's okay for a teacher to be rude if a student is rude is inappropriate. It's like, do you guys have a job as well? You're not going to keep your job for long if you think it's okay to be rude if someone else is rude to you. You want to keep business. If I gave attitude to every rude client I've had, I wouldn't have a job. You might be right and the client might be wrong, but it's not professional to handle yourself that way. It's just how it is in the working world. Part of having a job where you deal with a lot of other people is how you deal with difficult situations like these.

Plus as a teacher, you're not supposed to stoop to the student's level with that sort of immaturity. You're an adult and you need to handle disruptive students professionally. I know teachers don't get paid well and all that, but if that's another thing you say to justify that behavior, then that's not where their anger is supposed to be directed at. It's not the student's fault that they're not being paid well. Like all professional fields, you're going to encounter rude people. You can't simply lash out at everyone who's been rude to you.

So yeah, saying 'shut up' is pretty rude in general and something you say when you're mad. It's okay between friends but definitely not in a professional setting.

Back