• The closing ceremony for TBT's Farewell to New Leaf event has been posted! View the winning entries and other closing announcements here. Thanks for joining in on the fun and nostalgia. We'll see you this Friday night for the start of our annual Easter Egg Hunt!

Teachers saying "shut up"

I would say it's rude but I've had teachers call people dumbasses in front of the class so at this point nothing is as rude as that to me

There's a nicer way to say it though, I'll say that much

You shouldn't really be a teacher if you're so unable to cope with your class that you have to resort to insults or the like.

for older students yeah
and without singling one person out i guess

It's not ok. Teachers should try to set an positive example. But I can see how they could get fed UP with some disruptive students/classes and throw a little fit.

Last edited:
if a student is being disrespectful, gopher it. some kids deserve more than just a "shut up" tbh

I love telling people to shut up so I'm more than okay with anyone who thinks I should shut up to tell me that I should shut up.

a bit! it's rude but, it's not killing anyone and i'm pretty sure to get the teacher to say shut up, they must have pushed them over the edge.

Most of my teachers in high school are polite. But my PE Teacher? He doesn't give two craps about censoring.
He cusses most of the time, especially when there are a couple of trouble makers he'll say shut up.
But, for some reason, the rest of the class is unaffected. At least, for me.

I wish teachers could cuss at kids.

And I wish kids could cuss at teachers.

See how wrong that sounds?

- - - Post Merge - - -

Most of my teachers in high school are polite. But my PE Teacher? He doesn't give two craps about censoring.
He cusses most of the time, especially when there are a couple of trouble makers he'll say shut up.
But, for some reason, the rest of the class is unaffected. At least, for me.

Damn I wish he was my PE coach in HS.

The person who "coached" my PE class literally just made it a class where we had to take tests and write papers and all that dumb stuff. I wanted a PE coach who yelled at his students and made them try hard.

I don't think it's justified. Telling your students to be quiet in a more polite way is 100% acceptable, but I don't think teachers being rude towards students should ever be okay.

It really depends on the situation and the age of the kids. Like if it?s a middle school teacher and the kids are screaming and acting up, the fine. If it?s an elementary teacher and one kid says one little thing, then by all means no. I guess it?s rude all the time, but under some circumstances I?d say it?s fine. I already can imagine how stressful it is to be a teacher and they?re just people too, so it?s expected that they?ll get stressed out sometimes.

They should say it in a nicer way, like "please stay silent for a moment" or something cause saying "shut up" to your face is kinda rude right? But I guess it depends on what grade the teacher is teaching so the students understand and don't start crying or something...maybe not cause shut up is rude anyway.....I guess they should just use other words than that.

I don't know much since all of my teachers are very nice lol (but I hear there are mean teachers in my sisters highschool maybe I should ask her more about this)

What if the kid didn't listen the first a million times the teacher said "can you please be quiet?" It's hard to keep your edge if they're constantly interrupting the class session and, more importantly, hindering another student's learning time. You're more likely to hear it from middle school teachers because imo, middle school is probably worse than high school in terms of being socially cool and stuff. High school teachers really expect you to get your act together and they'll probably not give you any chances to screw up.

I think by later years in high school and in college it's fine. It shouldn't be said to younger students, imo. It seems rude and unprofessional.

I think you should put it into different words, but lots of my family members are teacher and they wouldn't dare tell any students to "shut up".

And I wish kids could cuss at teachers.

See how wrong that sounds?

- - - Post Merge - - -

Damn I wish he was my PE coach in HS.

The person who "coached" my PE class literally just made it a class where we had to take tests and write papers and all that dumb stuff. I wanted a PE coach who yelled at his students and made them try hard.
I don't know what point you're trying to make. But yeah, kids and teachers cussing at each other would be entertaining.

And then you agree with the person who has a teacher who cusses at kids, and say you with he was your own. Pretty hypocritical.

Last edited:
If it's a really young kid, no. If you're in high school, you should be grown up enough to handle it by then.

Back