Teachers saying "shut up"

I've had my fair share of having people in my class act like total pieces of crap to our teacher and she'd tolerate it for so long so like... yeah, in certain contexts it's fine.

(Kinda related but not really) I had a teacher tell someone to stop b****ing. This was because a rat died inside the walls in the classroom at the time and that particular student he said it to would not stop complaining (compared to everyone else who was just trying to suck it up).

I think it's necessary at times, sometimes students won't behave unless the teachers put their foot down.

Last edited:
i've had a handful of teachers who say shut up to their students and it's pretty rude.
do you think it's acceptable for a teacher to say shut up? in some circumstances?

First I want to say, in 4th grade I had a teacher who would tell us to shut up, yet when we would tell her that she did, she would claim she didn't.

Second, it is NEVER ok, because 99.9999999999999999999999999999999999999999...% of the time we are learning useless ridiculous trash that will never be used in life by 99.999999999999999999999999999999999999999999...% of the students.

- - - Post Merge - - -

It depends. If the teacher is clearly being disrespected, then yes. However, I don't think teachers should throw it around too much since it's quite rude and, of course, students would be told off if they said it to back the teacher.

A lot of times teachers/other school staff should be disrespected, especially at my school since they are EXTREMELY ridiculous and I literally want to scream and attack them (I want to but I don't).
Any time a student criticizes a teacher it's not ok and you will get in trouble, yet when they criticize a student it's completely 100% ok. They just can't seem to handle the fact that they are ridiculous babies who make stupid rules and can't handle criticism. (especially at my school)

Last edited:
i agree it depends on the context
like, a teacher rudely being like "shut up" feels v,, uh.. wrong?
but a lot of time with funnier and friendlier teachers, if they say shut up most people know they don't mean it too harshly. y'know, it all depends i guess.

I don't know what point you're trying to make. But yeah, kids and teachers cussing at each other would be entertaining.

And then you agree with the person who has a teacher who cusses at kids, and say you with he was your own. Pretty hypocritical.

I'm talkin about like elementary kids. I don't care about high school people. They're not kids.
So no, I'm not being hypocritical.

If a teacher tells a student who isn't doing anything wrong to shut up, then that's entirely unacceptable.
It goes both ways. If the student doesnt respect the teacher, then the teacher doesn't have to be respectful back.
But if the teacher was disrespectful first then the student should have every right to talk back against the teacher's bull ****. Granted, that's IF the teacher was being disrespectful FIRST.
Like if a teacher went up to me and told me to shut up while I was quietly working I wouldn't accept that.

i don't really care, my chemistry teacher says it almost all the time, but i have such an annoying class so i don't mind.

If the kid's being incredibly obnoxious and loud, then sure. But if it's for something small like talking in class -- no, not acceptable.

It depends on the situation. If the teacher is trying to do their job, but kids are acting unruly, and being nice isn't helping, then fine. I mean, it's not like they're calling the kids names. None of my teachers ever had to tell me to shut up.

I think it's more than fine. Honestly, teachers should be able to do a lot more...

Kids are rude to teachers that make the teachers say "shut up."

- - - Post Merge - - -

It depends on the situation. If the teacher is trying to do their job, but kids are acting unruly, and being nice isn't helping, then fine. I mean, it's not like they're calling the kids names. None of my teachers ever had to tell me to shut up.

You specifically?

Has a teacher of yours told the class to "shut up?"

- - - Post Merge - - -

That is not very professional behavior at all.

And kids aren't very nice at all.

Yeah it's fine. If you're being a little **** you're in no place to be so entitled enough to have your feelings hurt by a teacher telling you to shutup.

To expand on this:
To tell a student, perhaps someone who looks up to you, and if they don't, to "shut up" because of their behavior is not only incredibly rude but horrible people skills.
As a teacher you should not tell a student to shut up. I agree at times it might be necessary, but as a teacher you must be patient at all times. Students who act out are only doing it for a reaction to their ****ty behavior...
So, instead of giving a student who is acting out the satisfaction, you simply ignore their behavior (if they do not continue great, if they do you ask them to leave the classroom and wait to speak with them) until you can acknowledge them in a setting with just the two of you.
Some teachers do not get this concept and are extremely impatient. You can't expect a student to stop their behavior right away, and you shouldn't tell them to 'shut up' because you don't know what happened at home that day, you don't know how their day is going etc. There are so many different reasons for students to act up. You just need to do your part as a teacher and not only teach them how to deal with their problems, but acknowledge, be nice, and show them you understand. Because you are human. Regardless of how they're disrupting the class. We need more teachers who are willing to talk to students, because 9/10 students are disruptive because they're going through a problem at home, or with students, or with themselves.

You specifically?

Has a teacher of yours told the class to "shut up?"

Oh no, they never told me specifically to shut up, I hardly ever talked in Elementary/Middle school. But I've seen and heard teachers in my school telling kids to shut up.

My school was always relatively laid back. My class (with a total of 39 people) was made up of students who had known most of these teachers for years, and with such a small amount of people, we all got pretty comfortable with each other. A few times, a teacher would say "shut up", but the relationship between teacher and student was so close-knit (therefore rather informal), it was either said as a joke (with laughter from everyone, including the individual told to 'shut up') or it was dismissed immediately as a regular or justified request. Usually, it was said in a joking way. I've never really heard a teacher say 'shut up' with mal intent but if one did, I'm sure I'd find it extremely inappropriate and unprofessional.

I'm talkin about like elementary kids. I don't care about high school people. They're not kids.
So no, I'm not being hypocritical.

I was referring to high school kids the first time. Sorry I didn't specify it.

No, I don't think any grade under 6th, should be told to shut up.

Of course. They are there to teach you (which they can't do if you won't be silent), not to raise you. I don't like people being rude or abusing their "power" over others, but teachers are just humans and they are allowed to react. It's much more rude to keep on talking while someone is trying to say something.

Better than telling them to "shut their goddamn mouth" and then make them go stand outside in the cold for 30 minutes until the rest of the students are doing some activity then go outside and yell at them so loudly the students inside can clearly hear you, send them to the principals office, even though what they did did NOT warrant that, and then sexually harass all your female students on top the that.
10/10 Teachering.
Yes, I had that teacher.
His name, appropriately, was Mr. Roach.

Back