What do you consider 'hacking/cheating'?

UnderWish

Bells
Eggs
Old Eggs
Lobo
Jack
Green Candy
Red Candy
Yellow Candy
Pear (Fruit)
Orange (Fruit)
Mint
Purple Candy
Blue Candy
Wow posted this in the wrong place earlier. Rip me. It's 4 AM and Im tired.
--
I'm interested in what different people think hacking and/or cheating is.
Some people consider time traveling cheating, others only think modifying your save is cheating, and so on.
Is it hacking to use a program that lets you have multiple saves for one cartridge? Etc.
Personally, I think having multiple saves per cartridge is fine if you know how to get your saves onto an SD card, but editing items in and such is obviously hacking and I'm not okay with that if you plan to give the items to others or use the town as a main town.
If it's for your own personal enjoyment and you're not sharing the hacked items with anyone, or using the town for your personal gain in some other way, I don't see the problem, though. You should be able to enjoy the game as you see fit. I have some friends outside of TBT who hack the game, and I'm entirely fine knowing that, it isn't any kind of dealbreaker for my friendships.
What're your opinions?

I think cheating is tt'ing, no matter the readon, period.
Hacking is moderating your town unfit with the game's syandards and hacking in items you didn't earn.

I wouldn't say TT is cheating since they allow you to do it? It would be cheating/hacking if you had to use like a 3rd party hack or software for it.

Although I don't really care if people do whatever as long as it doesn't mess the game and make it unplayable *shrugs* People will always cheat and hack as long as they can't get items in a fair way. And considering how the game has like 678 regional items and eg. some amiibo cards are really hard to get in some parts of the worls.. yeah maximus shruggimus if they do.

Like only bad example I've ever seen is hybrids that can mess up your town but since I don't really care much for those I'm like, yeah just be careful buying.

If I'm honest with you, I don't consider hacking in regional items cheating. You have to realize that PAL versions of the game have barely any regional items, we miss out on the vast majority of those little 'get an item from Isabelle' holidays. However I don't condone this if you are actively trading on the Bell Tree forums or something, in which case getting your hands on those items shouldn't be too difficult anyway and you are then giving yourself an unfair advantage by giving yourself more 'valuable items to trade'

However a European player on their own hacking themselves the model ship or something, I have no problem with. It's not like those items are particularly difficult to obtain in the first place in the American version, and they have no other way to get it.

Last edited:
One of my towns is hacked, and I do time travel to get villager visits over with. It probably is considered cheating, but I paid for my games, so I'm going to enjoy them how I wish :p

I consider nothing as cheating, because the game allows you to TT etc. Hacking is making changes inside the the game (placing flowers in the water etc). But I don`t mind I also like the hacked towns.

I would call only anything that requires a third party device, anything outside of your 3ds - cheating.

I would call tt'ing a playstyle. You're still spending the time in the town, if you aren't interacting with villagers and helping them, no matter how much you tt you will not higher friendship with them. TT'ing isn't that profitable on its own. You have to actually still spend time to earn bells. So I wouldn't consider TT'ing cheating, the only case where I could see it as cheating is to get the weeding sniper badge.

I think hacking your game is a personal choice, and I have no problem with people who do it - But I do consider it cheating. I dislike people hacking in items like hybrids, because they get out in the market - and Ruin the market.

I'm hoping the next game will be fairly hacking proof, or at the very least, significantly harder to hack. Regional items won't be a worry, since you can have any region of the game on your switch. However, in making it harder to hack, they need to way way open up customization options for the town. Allow people to remove pavements if they want, allow people to place trees closer to houses/cliffs, allow pvps on the beach, etc.

Anything that is editing the game itself through unconventional means is cheating. Cheating at a videogame (lol) doesn't make you a bad person. But you are cheating at a videogame.

Outside sources used to modify the game is cheating.

I'm a big cheater, though XD I do add some DLCs I don't have, and add some bushes and flowers to my main town where there empty spots with hacks, but I don't hack too much. Some people really hate hacking the game, ok that's your opinion but I like it. It gave me lots of opportunities to make my town look the way I want it to, and have all the PWPs that I want.

Although it's very obvious that I hack when I trade with other players or give away items, nobody really seems to care so I just do it away :p

Time travelling is part of the game really, it's not cheating. It's in the game, so I don't think it's bad. I find time travel helpful when I miss an event, or the shops close right before I get to them.

I like how you can have multiple towns on one game, it saves lots of money. I don't see any problem with it, as long as you know what you're doing, and are aware that if your device isn't modified and you update which kills the hacks then you're stuck on one town for who knows how long lol

Anything that the game doesn't allow you to do on its own is what I consider hacking. I'm a pretty big fan of hacking, though, and I must admit I do quite a lot of it. I see why people wouldn't be into it, but it invites a whole new style of play that's really enjoyable and that you can't really enjoy without that assistance- and that's customizing everything from the ground up exactly the way you want it, with a little more instant gratification.

Like some other people, I don't really think there is any way to 'cheat' in this game. Since TT'ing and the likes are actively available for players to use and were included by Nintendo themselves, it's not cheating to simply use that option to play your game. You paid for it, so you're entitled to play how you would like :p

I'm not against hacking, since like I said if you paid for the game you are entitled to do whatever you like with it, but if people hack to just make money off people who think they're getting legit items then that's not good. Giveaways are fine with hacked items since you don't gain anything, but for things like bells and tbt? That's like not doing any work at all for a nice reward.

I don't consider anything outside of actual hacking (like using homebrew and stuff like that) to be cheating. TTing is more of a choice than cheating. The game can be played however you want to set it up. If you want to make it harder for yourself, don't TT or buy/trade with other people. If you want to TT, go ahead. Trade with others? Go ahead. You can adjust the difficulty for yourself. It's not 'cheating'. Cheating is more going out of your way to make things your way I guess. Like using powersaves or hacking. If the game allows you to do something easily, it shouldn't really be cheating.

I would considering using something to mod building and tree placement cheating, I don't consider tting cheating anymore than using amiibo cards instead of waiting for whoever to show up naturally. I've been tting way to much lately because I've had a string of unwanted villagers and/or wanted villagers in bad spots, so once everyone is where I want them , I'm not tting.

Just to be clear
1. Cheating is Actually any dev given tool to get ahead etc..
2. Hacking is using any 3rd party tool or anything of the sort to give you a Unintended advantage

That also sorta explains my views on it

I consider using tools such as Powersaves hacking. Whether bringing in items, or cloning them, etc, you still didn't get them legitimately. Now, in the terms of TT...depends. For example, I TT back a few hours because I'm busy during the day and miss the stores. But when someone TTs to get an item or certain villager, that's when I start to question the lines.

I think any kind of third party things such as a save editor are hacking, I do also think time travelling is effectively cheating, but I really don't mind people who do either of those things. I know how hard decorating a town is and sometimes time travelling, save editing or generating infinite bells is just the way to go to make things easier for you. It's your town, you can do what you like. The only thing I don't like is selling your hacked items for TBT or any outside currency, since you can get art, collectibles and many profile addons with this method, so you're effectively hacking the forum in a sense? But in another way, I don't mind buying hacked items, because they're usually really cheap and you can buy an endless supply of them. It really depends whether the item glitches or not (E.G If you buy hacked hybrids and try to breed them, you'll end up with white flowers usually)

I don't really consider anything to be cheating. Technically hacking could be considered cheating as you're doing things the game doesn't naturally allow, but even then I don't really care. Since there is no way to "win" at the game, I don't care how people play as long as they aren't hurting anyone.

I mean, technically hacking, powersaving, and even exploiting glitches are all forms of ?cheating.? I?d even go as far as to say time traveling is cheating, but the game lets you do it (and even gives consequences for it) so I don?t think it assumes that nobody?s gonna do it at one point or another. And it?s your game, you paid for it and everything, so you can do whatever you please. Anyone who tells you that you shouldn?t doesn?t understand that it?s your game.

I?ve hacked my town and it really adds to the game, in my opinion. I like to add rocks at the bottom of my waterfalls and plant long chains of trees/bushes next to each other freely. i have PWPs on my beach (a bonfire, cots, hammocks, etc) and I think it makes my town look better than if I hadn?t hacked it. Now obviously if you hack everything and finish your town in a day, that could potentially ruin the game. But if it makes you happy, go for it!

Time travel has been in the AC game since the beginning. For me playing at the real time wouldn't work. I play at 8 or 9pm so my game is set back. Also play other towns so those times are set on a different date and season. No way will I play 5 towns set on a bug off. Played since release and done all the events.

I don't know how to hack but a friend does in one of her towns. Hacking hybrid flowers and than selling them to players without telling them bugs me. A lot of players find out later they can't get hybrids from the 2 blue roses that they bought.

Another problem is hacked items getting dropped in your town that you can't get rid of. It happened to one player during the update. It said the game was corrupt after adding the update. Removed the update and the town was playable. Found out it was the present that a player left. It was the present that you open and another present is inside. Fixed it by dropping it, making a new player and getting them to pick it up. Erase the new player and than was able to add the update.

I've seen some hacked towns where they didn't go overboard and it was nice. Wished I had all lighted cedar trees during the winter and PWP on my beach. I would never do it since I don't know how and also because I worked to hard on my towns.

Everyone bought the game and it's theirs to play how they want to.

I don't really think of time traveling or resetting as cheating, tbh. I think hacking is definitely cheating but honestly, I don't really care. To each their own. If it isn't hurting me, it isn't my business.

Back