• Happy Earth Week! TBT is hosting a series of nature-based mini-events through April 28th. Breed flower hybrids by organizing your collectible lineup, enter our nature photography contest, purchase historically dated scenery collectibles, and earn bells around the site! Read more in the Earth Week and photography contest threads.

periods

Ohhhhh ok. Wish someone would properly teach me about my own body lol even school doesn't teach ;-;

yeah it makes me sad to know that so many young people, kids, teens and even some adults don't know much about their bodies. my youngest sister didn't understand her menstrual cycle when she was 16 years old. 16. that's crazy to me. to not know how your body processes and works together to function. :/

i didn't get a good education on sex ed and the human body either, and most of my knowledge is self taught / things i've found and read while being curious about my body. i did go to med school in college and that's helped a lot but when i was younger the resources were just not there in school. when they really... really should be. ****ing america man. lol

It's my time of the month, I'm on day 4 and still bleeding heavy. I bleed so heavy that it affects my iron levels and it's gotten to the point of even considering to wear nappies instead. It's ridiculous. Bed time and the mornings are the times of the days that I usually dread, I feel as though I'm drowning in my own blood.

I have consulted to my doctor regarding this issue and I was reassured that it's not dangerous to bleed heavy, however it is abnormal. I was strongly advised to go on birth control but there's only so many tablets I can take in a day, not with my anxiety and all. It's all too much these days.

ok i know this is an older post on this thread but can i remind yall of this PLEASE. having a uterus =/= being a woman and not having a uterus =/= being a boy. so please stop saying "uwu boys have it easy" or "wow sux to be a girl xD" please and thank you. if you still want to say that some ppl have it easier just be like "must be nice not to have periods" or "wow it must suck to have periods" instead

tbh this is one of the things that REALLY pisses me off about period products / marketing. theyre always described as UWU FEMENINE care and if you just LOOK at the pacakging theyre always covered in flowers or hearts or otherwise steryotypical femenine things.

Ugh yes.
This also reminds me of a couple years ago there was an Always commercial in one of the superbowls and I remember a lot of people losing their ish over it. We were having dinner with my neighbor and talking about the commercials and he was like "..And that tampon commercial. Was that really necessary to put in there?" I was so speechless I don't think I was able to say anything back.

Periods suck... period. HA.

But yeah, like, my cramps are super bad to the point where I cannot move or eat, so there's that.

i know i sound like a complete noob if i ask this but..

how do tampons feel like? do they hurt? i haven't tried one yet.

i tried one for the first time a few months ago and it was actually a nightmare because i assumed i knew what i was doing but i didn't so my advice is read the instructions, even if you think you know what you're doing. i'm not going into any detail, but it was pretty gross.
though once i'd actually done it right, i couldn't feel a thing and actually found it far more convenient than a pad. i didn't really like taking it out though, it was a bit of an odd sensation.

I think it's important to have more open conversations about periods, to help de-stigmatize it and to help encourage development of more options surrounding them (a video on one of Buzzfeed's channels came out recently of people testing out alternative period products and there are not that many options) but I also think that in doing that, we gotta remember to not be cissexist, and remember that not all women have periods and not all people who have periods are women.

Ahh, well. Tampons are very... hard to get used to. At least they were for me! When I first tried one, it definitely did not feel right. You just kind of have to take your time, and feel it out, which kind of sounds very weird. Not to get too too graphic, sometimes at the end of my period, I have to make sure that the applicator is a little wet. It slides in position easier.

I say if you think you are not ready, then you should take your time. There are also some great youtube videos out there of people answering questions about tampons and such. I would check some of those out too! They can be really informational and non-biased and just GREAT.

Hope I was able to ease your mind a little bit. When you're ready, you're ready.

I think everyone can agree it feels awkward/weird at the beginning but personally I can't imagine not using them now. I just like not having a mess or worrying about stains from pads, and I don't even feel it there. You gotta do what you're most comfortable with though cause everyone's different! There's a lot of good resources to help you out too like youngwomenshealth.org for example, or like any company's website that sells tampons (Always, Playtex, etc). I think a big hurdle part of it is just getting familiar with your body. :) To answer your question, if you use it right it shouldn't hurt.

inconvenient and feels super gross, cramps are mild but still really uncomfortable, plus I get lethargic and am basically completely unproductive for an entire week

i tried one for the first time a few months ago and it was actually a nightmare because i assumed i knew what i was doing but i didn't so my advice is read the instructions, even if you think you know what you're doing. i'm not going into any detail, but it was pretty gross.
though once i'd actually done it right, i couldn't feel a thing and actually found it far more convenient than a pad. i didn't really like taking it out though, it was a bit of an odd sensation.

Ahh, well. Tampons are very... hard to get used to. At least they were for me! When I first tried one, it definitely did not feel right. You just kind of have to take your time, and feel it out, which kind of sounds very weird. Not to get too too graphic, sometimes at the end of my period, I have to make sure that the applicator is a little wet. It slides in position easier.

I say if you think you are not ready, then you should take your time. There are also some great youtube videos out there of people answering questions about tampons and such. I would check some of those out too! They can be really informational and non-biased and just GREAT.

Hope I was able to ease your mind a little bit. When you're ready, you're ready.

I think everyone can agree it feels awkward/weird at the beginning but personally I can't imagine not using them now. I just like not having a mess or worrying about stains from pads, and I don't even feel it there. You gotta do what you're most comfortable with though cause everyone's different! There's a lot of good resources to help you out too like youngwomenshealth.org for example, or like any company's website that sells tampons (Always, Playtex, etc). I think a big hurdle part of it is just getting familiar with your body. :) To answer your question, if you use it right it shouldn't hurt.

I never tried one either and I don't want to. Other people's experiences sound gross and uncomfortable.

oh, okay! thanks for the answers. i've been thinking of trying them but, i'll leave it off till later.

i had to watch youtube videos to learn about them, otherwise if I didn't i would of thought the blood comes from your stomach loool....my mom didn't even teach me a bit either, its been 2 years ive had my period and i had to learn about it off the internet

heh heh, well, my mom told me everything, so I'm potentially scarred. And before, I thought having hair grow from your armpits was gross.

I'm surprised about the amount of uneducated people here... we were always taught about this **** in P.D. :eek:

Tampons are very tricky to get used to at first. I personally can never get the OB ones to work for me (the ones without an applicator). I always use the tampax ones with a simple applicator. You have to figure out the right angle and then it should go in relatively easily. If you mess up it can be uncomfortable to sit and walk. A few times I've had to take it out right away 'cause it was in the wrong position and starting to hurt.

You also have to be careful about how long you leave it in. You should never have a tampon in for more than 4 hours. After that you start to run the risk of Toxic Shock Syndrome, which can be fatal. It's not common, and it is treatable, but it's best to be safe. If the tampon is still dry/not fully soaked after four hours, go to a lighter kind. They range from super light to super heavy, I do believe. I always use the lightest ones.

Pads are always the easiest and arguably the safest, but tampons are a nice convenient way to feel cleaner for a while. There's also things called menstrual cups that a friend of mine swears by. They're reusable and end up saving you a loooot of money compared to pads/tampons.

im on birth control for how bad mine got. i was on the pill but i kept forgetting to take it so now im on the implant. it hurts a little for the first 2 weeks of insertion but then you cant notice its there. i get it taken out in 3 years

Havent had my period in months due to birth control, mine got really bad before though, where I would literally have it for 4 weeks in a row then be off of it for a week. Basically the opposite of whats supposed to happen.
I dont plan on having kids or anything and I havent been sexually active. Hell, I'm not even into guys. I'm gay af.
No pregnancy for me pls, I plan on adopting if I ever want kids.
Anyway, yeah. I get the period mood swings and cramps, just minus the blood.

Back